doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: big al1 How to apply for a import permit - 11/03/20 06:04 PM
I am getting a reproduction of a antique shoulder punt gun ..and builder said I need a import permit..So how do I apply for one? And can download the permit?Thank you
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/03/20 06:14 PM
It will be considered as a modern gun because it's a reproduction. Have to do the ATF form 6 if it's coming from another country. You can down load it on line. It's better and way less hassle to have a importer do it. I've used this one before. He's good and the cheapest I can find. https://www.trimports.com/import-services/
I may be wrong, but doesn't Steve (SKB) do this as well?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/03/20 10:00 PM
A reproduction is still classified as an antique here, if it doesn't fire fixed ammunition or fixed ammunition that is not available in normal sources of trade. The country of origin might require one before issuing an export permit, however. This is my understanding.
Mike
Posted By: big al1 Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/03/20 11:17 PM
Ok it’s a 4-bore shotgun
Posted By: big al1 Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/03/20 11:20 PM
Ok it’s a 4-bore shotgun
Posted By: John Roberts Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/04/20 12:45 AM
I have an apple. I see a bird. Sheesh...grammar is dead.
JR
Posted By: big al1 Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/04/20 04:10 AM
Sir I ask for information not be made a fool..Is this the way some treat fellow hunter?
Posted By: SKB Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/04/20 11:40 AM
You can not apply for an import permit yourself but will need an importer to do that for you. I can import from anywhere but focus on UK imports. Cost from the UK is 550$ plus 1% of purchase price and duty on your gun. If you want more info or contacts for others who offer the service, let me know.

Steve
Posted By: John Roberts Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/04/20 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: big al1
Sir I ask for information not be made a fool..Is this the way some treat fellow hunter?

Sometimes...
JR
Posted By: John Roberts Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/05/20 01:28 AM
Big Al1
Please forgive my smartass replies. I was wound up and worried about election results. My sincere apology sir.
JR
Posted By: oskar Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/07/20 02:12 AM
I believe you can do a form 6 for your personnel use. I imported a set of shotgun barrels(yes a restricted item) a couple years ago and I had to jump through some pretty small hoops numerous time before they approved it. Because they were just barrels they were mailed directly to me. I think a "Firearm" would be much more difficult with ffls needed on this end and what ever the exporting company needed.
Posted By: tut Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/07/20 03:38 PM
Been forever, but I imported a shotgun from Australia many years ago and it took at the time was a completed ATF Form 6 Part 1 as I recall. My understanding then was an FFL could make an "Occasional" import utilizing their standard FFL. No idea what Occasional meant, but it did work for me in that case. That however was probably 15 years ago at least.
Posted By: SKB Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/07/20 03:45 PM
I am not sure but I do not think that a type 01 FFL can currently do occasional imports or even if the ATF accepts paper applications any longer. I do all my applications and follow up paperwork through the Eforms system. I could certainly be mistaken on this point though.
Posted By: battle Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/08/20 12:19 AM
Originally Posted By: SKB
I am not sure but I do not think that a type 01 FFL can currently do occasional imports or even if the ATF accepts paper applications any longer. I do all my applications and follow up paperwork through the Eforms system. I could certainly be mistaken on this point though.

You can occasionally import with a 01. And yes they still take apps through snail mail.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: How to apply for a import permit - 11/08/20 11:36 AM
My one and only import was from Australia, McDonald's Gunshop, a damascus barreled I. Hollis SLNE. He deemed it pre-1898 and mailed it to me. No forms, no hassle. However, I understand that, as Dylan sings, "things have changed".

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com