doublegunshop.com - home
Son drove back from Alaska to Oregon with the 870. You'll recall Canadian customs gave him a hard time last June and four days to get out of Canada. He was not carrying the shotgun and indeed might not have been able to cross if he'd had it. His wife brought it up to him on the plane....all anyone talks about in Alaska apparently are bears and salmon.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...3789#Post573789

Anyway, return trip....he had the shotgun with 18" slug barrel and 28" bird barrel and two different magazines...a 5 round and 10 round. Problem is when he got to the border he'd misplaced the key to the case. He spoke French to the customs lady and she let him across with just providing the serial number without having to tear open the case.

He reached the US border in 2 days driving non-stop - Canadians seem to be extremely paranoid about Americans these days. No problem crossing back into Washington State...did not have to open case and the US customs people seemed to like it that he was carrying a shotgun coming back from Alaska. Hopefully a harbinger of better times to come.
8 months of MSM fear mongering will do that.
And Americans thinking Canadians are idiots and instead of actually going to Alaska they are taking a holiday in Canada. Ya I think we have the right to be suspicious of any American who says they're driving through.
It gave me a little smile. A pickup heading south looking loaded up like the beverly hillbillies move was probably more worried about hitting a little weather than the ski slopes. Not to worry, indications are the boarder seems locked down to essential only crossing from the US, and it doesn't seem like Canadian law enforcement has been too shy about door knock quarantine compliance checks? I thought Canada has been doing smartphone tracking anyway, one would think an early flag for the boarder folks would be someone claiming they don't have a phone?
I’m curious.

Why all the hoopla over bothering to bring back on 870?

It would seem for almost no money at all, he could forward it to anybody he wanted to.

I don’t understand it when people choose to make their life far more difficult for no apparent benefit.
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
I’m curious.

It would seem for almost no money at all, he could forward it to anybody he wanted to.

I don’t understand it when people choose to make their life far more difficult for no apparent benefit.

Exactly.

Gene, this is the second time you have brought this up and the second time you seem to have a problem with Canadian behavior. Admittedly less this time.

The thing that always gets me is, love them or hate them, Canadian laws are different than the US and while you may not hear much about it, we hear regularly about dumb ass Americans who wonder why they are in shit because they broke some Canadian law. CANADA IS A DIFFERENT COUNTRY WITH DIFFERENT LAWS AND ATTITUDES. We see report after report of some astonished American who is having trouble grasping that one must adhere to the laws of the country one is in. Don't like it, don't come here.

And I'm saying this as someone who very much appreciates Americans, appreciates what your country stands for in the world and who thinks my country has it's head up its own ass. But when I go to the US I make a point of making sure I am not breaking the law of the country I am in and I don't assume your laws are the same as the laws of my country. Should be painfully obvious. Americans in America don't have much time for dumb ass foreigners. Same applies when it's the American who is the dumb ass foreigner.
Originally Posted By: craigd
It gave me a little smile. A pickup heading south looking loaded up like the beverly hillbillies move was probably more worried about hitting a little weather than the ski slopes. Not to worry, indications are the boarder seems locked down to essential only crossing from the US, and it doesn't seem like Canadian law enforcement has been too shy about door knock quarantine compliance checks? I thought Canada has been doing smartphone tracking anyway, one would think an early flag for the boarder folks would be someone claiming they don't have a phone?

Craig try being a Canadian traveling into the US with your Beverly Hillbillies pick up and see how you get treated by US Customs. I can tell you it won't be a smile and a wave on through.
CB, it wasn't a complaint....it was simply a "here's the state of the border for anyone transiting Yukon and BC." It is what it is. Now that the Maritime Highway has reopened, when he goes up next March, he'll probably take the Ferry. Gene
It’s an 870 right?

A short-barreled 870 is more common than a toothbrush in Alaska.

Just saying.
Originally Posted By: canvasback
....Craig try being a Canadian traveling into the US with your Beverly Hillbillies pick up and see how you get treated by US Customs. I can tell you it won't be a smile and a wave on through.

I hear you about respecting another country's laws. It's little things, but we usually make sure the car insurance, cell phone service is good, let alone not feeling like getting arrested. I was commenting about how I think things are currently, for a US citizen tring to drive into Canada for non essential reasons.

In normal time, yours has been my experieince. Driving into Canada we tend to get smiles and hellos, why not it's free? Reentering the US, we usually get the faux hard a$$es, but haven't had the pleasure of a cavity search, so far.
To prevent any bad feelings....it's just a bad time. Son entered Yukon without having to open the gun case, after speaking French to the Canadian customs officer (where he was very well received - big difference from BC-Washington State border when he went north)!

But headed south, he wasn't supposed to enter any business establishments. A lot of Canadians were very curious about the rig and the kayaks on the truck, etc., and extremely hospitable...a lot more were suspicious and paranoid (sort of like New York). So he drove 18 hours a day and slept one night in the truck, 2500 miles in two days.

He crossed into USA again without having to open the gun case. He commented that ordinarily the drive is so beautiful you'd stop to enjoy it. This cannon-ball run, though, was not fun because of Covid - not because of Canadians.

That's it. If you contemplate a drive north...that's what you'll face today.
Craig, I can well remember the days when it was hellos and smiles in both directions. Sad someone felt it needed to change.

Gene, I’m embarking on a 2500 mile trip next week.....my home in Ontario to the centre of BC. I’m interested to find out how I’ll be treated along the way. I suspect it’s not only Americans being viewed with suspicion these days. More importantly. I’ll have a couple of my favourite SxS with me and am looking forward to the stops along the way. Ruffed grouse, sharp tail, huns, pheasant, quail and chukar.
Sounds like a great trip, James. What kind of quail will you find?

SRH
Stan, I will be after California quail. Those I have seen out west before. There are theoretically also Mountain quail but I’ve never run into any.

It’s a bit of a dry run this year. Heading to some old haunts and some new spots. But it’s a very long way there and back that really deserves about a month. I had started to plan it for this year then COVID hit. I’ll be taking 10 days one way, departing this coming Tuesday.

Just recently I came across the opportunity to move an SUV to my hunting trip’s final destination, expenses paid including a flight home. The owner, a friend, is cool with my plans. Too late in the year for waterfowl, but upland will be just fine. And I’m really using it as an opportunity to scout the new spots I want on my itinerary next year.
Really great sounding adventure cback. I had also thought, what quail, but get after 'em. I don't have any idea of typical weather, but is it potentially a bit late to start something like this in November? Is there a risk of getting shut down due to weather or dogs having a tougher time if there's stretches of deeper snow? Don't mind me, just wondering out loud, be safe out on the road and have nothing but a great time.
Those are good questions Craig. And yes, there is always those possibilities, particularly in November. Good friends were in Alberta for a week last year or the year before and got shut down by a blizzard. So it's always possible. But....where the quail are is a bit of a micro climate in a large mountain valley that extends about 100 miles long and up to 50 miles wide. Temps are significantly moderated there and it's a pretty dry and sunny climate anyway. So while it can snow, I'm expecting temps in the 25 to 40 degree range when I am there.

If it pans out and I go next year on the 3 to 4 week adventure I hope to, I would leave in the last week of September to do my best to catch the best weather and line up with the various game seasons in the various jurisdictions.
The Canada border closure has screwed up my unbroken 27 year string of October duck/gamebird hunting trips to Saskatchewan. I don't have too many more years in me to make up a lost year. Our group has even bought a house in one of those dried up little railroad towns up there. We freelance mostly, but use a guide sometimes for fishing in the summer.

I recently read an article to the effect that Canada has experienced over 31 billion in lost revenue from sportsmen who are locked out this year. Cry me a river.

While I certainly accept Canada's right to protect itself from the plague, I have a nasty suspicion that the closure has more to do with politics and the animosity between our leaders...Geo
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
The Canada border closure has screwed up my unbroken 27 year string...

Same number of years a Canadian based team hasn’t won the Stanley Cup.
This is the year Toronto?

I wonder if Sean likes that Nova Scotian rat. You know...

The Canada border closure has screwed up my unbroken 27 year string of October duck/gamebird hunting trips to Saskatchewan. I don't have too many more years in me to make up a lost year. Our group has even bought a house in one of those dried up little railroad towns up there. We freelance mostly, but use a guide sometimes for fishing in the summer.

I recently read an article to the effect that Canada has experienced over 31 billion in lost revenue from sportsmen who are locked out this year. Cry me a river.

While I certainly accept Canada's right to protect itself from the plague, I have a nasty suspicion that the closure has more to do with politics and the animosity between our leaders...Geo

George, I share that same nasty suspicion.
Your son was permitted to pass through Canadian Customs without opening his gun case, and you're whining about the treatment he got??? You act as though he was threatened or forced to drive 2500 miles in two days. Clearly, he wasn't. The few citizens and Customs officials that were paranoid or gave him a hard time were probably something like you.

You really need some help Argo44. You are clearly an anal-retentive paranoid narcissist. And why are you always starting these weird off-topic Threads that have absolutely nothing to do with double guns? Oh, I keep forgetting that you think the world revolves around you.

OK nutbar, have another sad little melt-down.
Originally Posted By: keith
Your son was permitted to pass through Canadian Customs without opening his gun case, and you're whining about the treatment he got??? You act as though he was threatened or forced to drive 2500 miles in two days. Clearly, he wasn't. The few citizens and Customs officials that were paranoid or gave him a hard time were probably something like you.

You really need some help Argo44. You are clearly an anal-retentive paranoid narcissist. And why are you always starting these weird off-topic Threads that have absolutely nothing to do with double guns? Oh, I keep forgetting that you think the world revolves around you.

OK nutbar, have another sad little melt-down.

Priceless coming from Mr. Meltdown himself. You are projecting again William.
2:45 AM Mountain Time, and Queen Stevie is stalking me again.

He/she must have just got home from the fag bar, drunk again, and didn't get lucky. Poor little Queen Stevie. Such a victim.
Now Billie, we all know you are the professional victim on this board. Why it was just yesterday in the "know who you are voting for " thread that you managed to get deleted that you were crying like a little school girl that you had been singled out. So sad the way you have been called out for being the a$$hole that you are....poor, poor billie.

Soon that tiny violin will be play your song. It is almost as if you are being held to the same standards as the rest of the board. The drunk on the board is frAnk, I barely drink but do enjoy the occasional Newcastle Brown Ale, good stuff when enjoyed in moderation.
Originally Posted By: SKB
Now Billie, we all know you are the professional victim on this board. So sad the way you have been called out for being the a$$hole that you are....poor, poor billie. Soon that tiny violin will be play your song. It is almost as if you are being held to the same standards as the rest of the board. The drunk on the board is frAnk, I barely drink but do enjoy the occasional Newcastle Brown Ale, good stuff when enjoyed in moderation.

Sounds as if Argo44's anal-retentive sphincter has cut off the blood flow to your brain Queen Stevie. Have a nice day up there.
Your projecting again Billie. It would be you and frAnk that are neck deep in fecal matter. Wonderful how you two support each other, and that is not something that is easy to find in a relationship these days. Good to see you two still going so strong.

Bye the bye, I did not forget your anniversary of you coming out out to the board with your feelings toward frAnk, it was just that you were on vacation at the time. Happy anniversary you two and many more to come!
If you translate all this to French it sounds much more gentlemanly.
Gotta try speaking French to those jackweeds in Windsor. Apparently you can
cross the border with machine guns and weed if you do. Look MF’er! All I want is some Tim Bits and a Celine Dion 8-track! I can’t clean the house without them! didn’t go over so well.

(hockey, golf, Ithaca 37, Trump 2020...ticking all the boxes)
Argo44's brain is French Fried.

The whining Alabama Scumbag skally'wag got another thread deleted...

Talk about mentally ill

Argo44 is the epitome of sick in the head...all he does is research the internet for Reilly shotguns and copy and paste his horse chit on here.

I'd like for one person to step forward that reads his crap.

Contrary to what the sick in the head ArgO44 believes most everyone knows that Reilly didn't really make guns...he was just an English Gun'fArmer.

Steve, can you still get real Newkie Broon in CO? Here in CA there is only nasty stuff made in a local brewery, bearing little resemblance to the real thing and even worse than the Heineken version.

Steve'O ain't had no noOkie broon since noOkie broon had he'she...
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
I’m curious.

Ever hear the sAying the Apple don't fall far the the tree....

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Son drove back from Alaska to Oregon with the 870.

Stupid and Stupider...

Who gives a chit ErgO
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com