doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ksauers1 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/14/20 01:19 PM
Related to the 20 or 12 thread. Isn’t the 2” 12 very similar to a 2 1/2 20? I’ve been toying with the idea of a 2” 12
Posted By: RARiddell Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/14/20 01:53 PM
2” 12!
Posted By: KDGJ Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/14/20 02:08 PM
If you can find a nice 2" 12, get it. RST makes a nice shells for the 2" gun. The 2" 12 will have 12 gauge type proportions. Not a lot of them were made.

Ken
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/14/20 04:19 PM
Arrieta made some 2" 12 ga guns. They were the same weight as the 2 1/2 guns. I would get a 2 1/2 and then you an use 2"if you wish and still have the flexibility to use use both

John Boyd
Posted By: Rocketman Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/14/20 04:19 PM
2" guns are usually quite light, similar to light 20's. Take care that you don't get yourself into a gun with lower swing efforts than you can handle consistently.
Posted By: GLS Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/14/20 11:41 PM
In the 1930s Skimin & Wood made the majority of 2" 12 ga. guns rebadged by various other gunmakers. Most of the guns are in the 5.25 to 5.5 lbs. range depending on wood and barrel length. They were proofed for 7/8 oz. loads. Gil
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/14/20 11:46 PM
I had a 2” 12. Neat little gun but a very limited use gun. I could do everything just as well with a 20 that I could with it. Much more in fact. There is a reason you don’t see many of them. They were a gun created for a specialized niche which never really existed. To get the weight down the barrels were struck very thin from the factory. Both barrels on mine were choked IM and patterned beautifully. Super light, easy to carry and a bit of a whipped wand. But those thin barrels were a real dent risk in real hunting conditions. Real care. If dented removing a simple dent could create a ultra thin area. Most 2” I see for sale at Holts have had dents just repaired. Like their guns it’s warns each owner this gun just used up its one dent limit.

I was looking into joining a real interesting upland, quail, club. When I was doing my research I discovered 12 bores of all types were banned. It was funny to me that I could shoot any 20 gauge gun and ammo combination but could not shoot a lighter 12 load at all.

My advise is if you want a 2” 12 be very careful in what you buy. Condition is everything because when you later go to sell it they will use an electron microscope on it. Buy it at your price. Figure on keeping it a couple years then finding something else as your next dream gun.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 02:22 AM
Figure on keeping it a couple years then finding something else as your next dream gun.

A Woodward, diamond grade Daly, Dickson. Dreamguns right now
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 02:30 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon

I was looking into joining a real interesting upland, quail, club. When I was doing my research I discovered 12 bores of all types were banned. It was funny to me that I could shoot any 20 gauge gun and ammo combination but could not shoot a lighter 12 load at all.

Isn't it remarkable how many people in positions of authority at shotgun facilities have so little knowledge of shotguns?

The same people post such nonsense as 'no high brass shells' or 'no 3" shells' when it's what's in the shells that counts.

It's the same with bans on 8 gauge guns for waterfowling. If there's anyone one group of people qualified to load their guns to a reasonable specification to be on par with say, a 3" 12, that IS legal it would be owners of 8 gauge guns. Show me factory loads.

I remember when the Top Gun target load came out. Some genius accused me of shooting 'high brass' shells at skeet targets.

The world is full of idiots, but you might think that folks involved in shooting would pick up some common knowledge on the way to the point where they are making policy.
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 03:35 AM
I owned one of the 2” Arrietas and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a round body with 27” barrels and was barely under 6lbs. Like any light gun, it took more focus than usual to keep it moving. It was a great upland gun for me but if I’m being honest, it had more novelty than any magical shooting properties. A 20 carries the same benefits and is much more practical. That said, I would love to add a 28” barrel 2” boxlock back to the fold because not everything in life needs to be practical.
Posted By: GLS Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 10:19 AM
As Chuck H. wrote years ago, practicality and game bird hunting disappears when we drive past the first KFC on the way to the field. Gil
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: MyGSPIzzy
I would love to add a 28” barrel 2” boxlock back to the fold because not everything in life needs to be practical.

I agree with the last portion of that statement .........not everything in life needs to be practical. But, I have found that the more impractical it is, regardless how much I thought I wanted it at the outset, the sooner the bloom is off the rose and I'm looking for a way to rid myself of it with the least amount of pain. Or, it finds it's way to some dark corner where it sits, unused, as I ponder exactly why I thought I needed it so badly to start with. That's just me.

SRH
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 12:02 PM
A lightish 6 pound or slightly under makes enough sense to me. Slightly impractical, but easily fed if one knows the 16 gauge path.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 01:03 PM
Every time this discussion arises about a 2" 12 ga. vs a 20 ga., I find it puzzling that no one mentions the actual physical dimensions of each in comparison. The 20 ga. is a much more trim and narrow-framed gun than any 12 ga. gun, regardless of chamber length or weight. Sure, there are a few odd heavyweight 20's out there, but typically, a light 20 will be a much more sleek and small-in-the-hands gun than a 2" 12 ga. Just saying.
JR
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
A lightish 6 pound or slightly under makes enough sense to me. Slightly impractical, but easily fed if one knows the 16 gauge path.

The gun l use most is a 16ga W R Pape that comes in at 5lb 14oz
Posted By: John Roberts Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: ksauers1

That should read "The gun I use most for grouse hunting where you walk a lot and shoot a little is a W R Pape that comes in at 5 lb 14 oz". Not judging, just saying.
JR
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/15/20 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: ksauers1

Makes sense to me. I'm looking for one similar myself.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: 20ga. Or 2” 12 - 10/16/20 01:41 AM
I don't really grouse hunt anymore. Maybe 1 trip for woodcock and the rest pheasants.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com