doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/03/20 02:47 PM
A gunsmith friend of mine had a Brownells kit that he uses to test firing pins. The kit came with two metal shotgun shells of the popular gauges that you put a primer in to test firing pins after repair or replacement. Apparently I'm using the wrong search criteria but does anybody have one to sell or know a source for such item?
Thanks,
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/03/20 03:18 PM
My firing pin test kit consists of a roll of Scotch Tape. I stick a piece over the primer on a spent shell and pull the trigger. If the tape is pierced, the firing pin is working...Geo
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/03/20 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
My firing pin test kit consists of a roll of Scotch Tape. I stick a piece over the primer on a spent shell and pull the trigger. If the tape is pierced, the firing pin is working...Geo

I do the same with masking tape.
Posted By: builder Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/03/20 04:43 PM
Why not just use an empty hull and replace the primer with a new one. A piece of tape would work but maybe you want to see how deep the impression is. Too short you get Failure to fire and too long you get a pierced primer.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/03/20 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: builder
Why not just use an empty hull and replace the primer with a new one. A piece of tape would work but maybe you want to see how deep the impression is. Too short you get Failure to fire and too long you get a pierced primer.

That would work too, Builder. Just easier with tape. I can check a FTF shell and tell if I'm getting a light strike or a pierced primer...Geo
Posted By: Mark II Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/03/20 11:37 PM
Just hold a penny over the pin. if it leaves a mark there is enough power.
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/04/20 01:59 PM
Thanks for the responses. That kit is not easy to find. If others have one to sell pm me.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/07/20 01:50 PM
I drop a 2” section of solid brass rod down the bore, hold the gun vertical and pull the trigger. If it has a good firing pin and spring the rod will jump noticeably in the bore. You can also determine how strong the spring is. If it’s just a wimpy jump the spring is probably too weak or firing pin too short. Great item to carry when looking at guns at gun shows, etc. If the fall of the hammer sounds normal but the rod doesn’t jump then the firing pin has a problem.
Posted By: FelixD Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/07/20 03:15 PM
I use a dowel rod. I place the end on the breech face over the hole and pull the trigger. You feel the impact and can see the indentation.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/07/20 03:38 PM
An old gunsmith friend of mile just held his finger over the firing pin on doubles and single shot shotguns. For pumps and autos, he sacrificed a shell, out the side door to the shop. I have thied the finger trick, it makes an impression on you.
Mike
Posted By: Little Creek Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/11/20 03:38 PM
Recently bought a gun that ended up having light primer strikes on one side. Gunsmith lengthened the firing pin. Shot Winchester AA and everything was fine. Then I tried Herters, my reloads, Remington, Fiocchi, and Federal. Several of the factory loads still did not fire. Gunsmith says he had no problem shooting this gun but only uses AAs...I returned the gun to the seller for a refund.
Posted By: gunman Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/13/20 09:46 AM
Sounds like a device to extract money from the gullible .Pointless in my opinion as there are several ways to test the efficiency of strikers with no cost , just a little practical knowledge and common sense .
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/13/20 02:42 PM
Gunman-thanks for your experience with the device. Would you mind telling me how much you paid for yours.
Posted By: gunman Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/13/20 07:12 PM
A capped case , a pound coin , a block of hardwood , a penny is all you need to test the efficiency of any double gun striker. When you have eliminated all other possible reasons for a misfire . Broken worn mainsprings , damaged return springs ,worn or broken strikers /fire pins , gun not cocking fully or something preventing the hammer from falling correctly , dirt etc. Hard primers are the most common fault . Basically what you have in your pocket or on your bench .
Posted By: Brian Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/16/20 12:23 AM
when reusing a spent shell, and inserting new primer in it, it may work, but it may not. sometimes the head becomes concave from repeated use since there is no back pressure of firing an actual load, and can give false readings, such as not firing even if there is sufficient firing pin protrusion and energy to the firing pin.
That is the benefit of the Brownells test kit. I have had one for 40 years.
other methods work. I choose this one.
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/16/20 11:59 PM
Thanks Brian, that's the direction I'm going.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Firing Pin Test Kit - 10/17/20 12:48 AM
Gunman, spot on as usual.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com