doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Pete Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/03/20 03:43 AM
We had a customer return a new Sako rifle which would NOT chamber. Examining it, the barrel had not been cut for a chamber. Sako was contacted and asked why the gun passed proof?

The answer was that only 3 of every 100 guns had to be proof tested!

WOW!
Posted By: skeettx Re: Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/03/20 04:04 AM
WOW! Indeed
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/03/20 06:29 AM
Unbelievable!!!!
Posted By: peevedoff Re: Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/03/20 07:23 AM
Very odd indeed. According to the Finnish Gun Proof Act (27.8.1982/656) every firearm manufactured or professionally repaired in or imported (unless already C.I.P. proofed) to Finland and intended for sale should pass gun proof according to C.I.P. regulations.

I would be inclined to suspect the Finnish proof house. It operates under Finnish police board's weapon administration which is full of criminal idiots that harass law-abiding citizens. Maybe even the proof house has some incompetent rats on the payroll.

Did the rifle in question have the Finnish lion's head proof marks?

Have no idea why Sako should lie about Finnish proof requirements though.

Markus
Posted By: damascus Re: Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/03/20 09:27 AM
IMHO.I feel that you did ask the wrong question, Sako must have heaved a sigh of relief when you queried the proof you let them off the hook. The question I would have asked is this "How did this rifle go through your production process, pass your in house quality control, final inspection and testing, then packaged for sale?" My final request would be "can I have your thoughts on this serious matter in writing? I am sure that would put the cat in the hen house.
If it has full proof marks that is an other can of worms that could be opened at a later date, the proof house could be at fault though may be not. Though more important the manufacturer produced a product that is not of merchantable quality or fit for purpose.
Posted By: peevedoff Re: Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/03/20 10:11 AM
Good questions. According to the Sako 2020 Catalogue
Quote:
We take great pride in our work. Each rifle is carefully assembled by a single person, and each individual barrel is visually inspected. Every rifle goes through manual accuracy testing to ensure it can perform under 1MOA accuracy and is delivered with a certification that guarantees its quality and accuracy.

https://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/documents/Sako_Rifles_2020.pdf
I guess the S/N can be used to identify the assembler. Did the gun come with the quality and accuracy certificate?

Markus
Posted By: lagopus Re: Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/03/20 04:10 PM
Certainly every British gun and imported gun without a recognised Proof House goes through Proof at either London or Birmingham before it can be sold. I understand that some Continental guns are just 'Batch Tested'. Certainly a Gunsmith, who I know well, had a Spanish gun by a well known Maker in with Proof Marks but the chamber rim recess wasn't cut so could not have been Proof tested as a cartridge could not be inserted. Lagopus…..
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/04/20 05:10 AM
See, “Perfunctory “.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Kyrie Re: Odd/Unfortunate Proof Testing - 10/04/20 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
See, “Perfunctory “.

Best,
Ted

That, or worse. Let's remember that each C.I.P. proof house is literally a law onto itself.

The world is less orderly place than many presume.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com