doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AZMike Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/21/20 12:35 PM
I see lots of opinions, how do you clean yours?
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/21/20 01:14 PM
Garden hose
Posted By: SKB Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/21/20 01:40 PM
You mean you actually clean your hunting clothes?

My Filson vest has not been cleaned since I bought it in the mid 90's. I did just buy new tin cloth chaps after my first pair began to resemble Swiss cheese, great gear. I was heart broken to see Filson stopped making the Uplander boot. I found two pair of new old stock on Ebay so should have that covered for a bit.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/21/20 02:45 PM
You can certainly clean them, but then you should re-oil them. Filson still sells said oil. Filson seems hell-bent on moving away from the gear that actually made their name for them. It seems like they only-grudgingly make their hunting-related clothing and gear anymore (to un-PC for a Seattle-based company, not sufficiently "woke" enough).
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/21/20 02:52 PM
I may be giving up on Filson Tincloth. For years I have worn their Tincloth bibs while upland hunting and once you get past the stiffness they're not bad, wind and briar proof.

But the wax coating holds dirt (read abrasive), and breaking them in also creates permanent crease area's. Put them together and the abrasive will wear though the cloth at the crease points way before the rest of the garment even looks used.

Having said that I would use a stiff brush, pay attention to crease area. Rewax as little as possible.
Posted By: AZMike Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/21/20 03:20 PM
I have a pair of leg chaps that I can't use here in SEAZ, they are far too hot. I am going to sell them but wanted to do a very light cleaning. probably not even necessary. thanks for the input.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/23/20 08:28 PM
Not worth wasting your time Mike. I just wait until my chaps dry then brush them off, and rewax at the beginning of each season. I understand that you are selling them and probably just want them to be presentable to sell. Spot cleaning with a brush as Recoil Rob said is the ticket. Pinesol works wonders with an old toothbrush. If you don't want to rewax you could always hit it with a blow-dryer and the wax will flow and even out. Just my opinion...

I imagine in AZ you prob need snake/cactus chaps and I doubt tin cloth fits the bill. I hard wax mine for better rose thorn protection because oil cloth doesn't protect me much.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/26/20 03:01 PM
Not quite an answer to your question but the wax on a Filson product significantly shortens the life of the fabric though it does make the product look sexy with all the dirt and use. I liked their products but not the wax. So the last waxed hunting vest I bought went straight to my dry cleaners with orders to remove all wax. They did and the well made vest has now lasted multiple times longer than previous ones I’ve had.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/26/20 04:54 PM
The wax is there to help keep you from getting wet. Once you are soaked to the bone, you are done hunting in the cold. Filson double tin on top of a wool union suit is probably good to -50 Fahrenheit, if you stay moving.
I got soaked with sweat a few times in Filson, but, that is a different deal.
I don’t believe I have lived long enough to say I ever associated “sexy” with Filson, double tin, or, otherwise.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/26/20 06:02 PM
Filson and other waxed clothing are the equivalent of using Vaseline and 3:1 oil for lube. Nothing worse than sweating inside a wax cotton jacket or pants...that gross clammy feeling is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

The only thing I’ve ever done to clean it...a wet rag, wipe it down, dry it, and brush it with kiwi shoe brush.... Sally forth.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/26/20 07:42 PM
Ted, i live in West Texas and we don’t hunt in the wet. In fact, as memory serves me, the last time I saw “wet” was in 1988. And I was referring to hunting vests with straps—not a lot of protection from even Texas dry elements.....
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/26/20 08:20 PM
I’m trying, I really am, but, sexy isn’ t there. I’ve seen straps that could be called sexy, just not on any Filson....

Best,
Ted
Posted By: AZMike Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/28/20 11:07 AM
I have spent full days (weeks) working in Helly Hanson yellow rain gear. Be causous of your diet as everything vents up through your collar!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/28/20 11:27 AM
I don’t believe I ever did anymore cleaning then using a brush to remove excess dirt or burrs.
Filson is good for what it is for, but, stylish is not one of it’s attributes.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: simcgunner Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/28/20 11:34 AM
I wash mine in cold water then apply spray on waterproofer.same thing with Barbour coat.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/28/20 02:17 PM
I've washed a Filson oilcloth parka in hot water and soap. It did remove a lot of wax/oil, but it is still stiff and repels water. I haven't worn that thing hunting since I was elk hunting in the snow 25 years ago. It's going to a yard sale soon.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/28/20 02:28 PM
Washed mine a couple of time in hot water to get the wax out. Much nicer. The feel is softer and its lighter. I Throw a light hooded oversize rain jacket in the back if there is a chance of rain.
My dad hunted with a Filson vest when I was a kid and walking through the woods with mine on reminds me of those great times.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/28/20 02:33 PM
With my strap vest I just brush the feathers out from time to time. The chaps seem to clean themselves depending on what kind of cover they're busting through. None of my hunting clothes would do to wear at a garden party...Geo
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/28/20 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Not quite an answer to your question but the wax on a Filson product significantly shortens the life of the fabric though it does make the product look sexy with all the dirt and use. I liked their products but not the wax. So the last waxed hunting vest I bought went straight to my dry cleaners with orders to remove all wax. They did and the well made vest has now lasted multiple times longer than previous ones I’ve had.

Didn't think a dry cleaner would do that. Good to know, thanks. I still have a coat or two lying around, may try it.
Posted By: AZMike Re: Clean Filson Tin cloth? - 09/28/20 04:05 PM
My Filson vest looks so crappy I don't like to wear it. I will try to wash it/strip the oil clean and see how it comes out!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com