doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Vic Venters New Book: "Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun" - 09/05/20 09:35 PM
I have just received a copy of the new book Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun, by John Campbell. See here:

https://gunandswordcollector.com/product/boxlock-shotgun/

Mr Campbell is a contributor to this BBS as "Kensal Rise" and was the editor and publisher of the mid-2000s digital publication Double Gun Classics, and is today a frequent contributor to The Double Gun Journal.

The gun writing trade -- like the British gun trade -- is (unfortunately) a jealous, thin-skinned trade, with members often loath to say much good about the work of their fellows in trade.

Kudos, though, to Mr Campbell for producing an extensively researched, well-illustrated, and very interesting book. He has thoroughly mined period trade periodicals, as well as much-relied-upon secondary sources; moreover, crucially, he has gained access to the very thorough research of the descendants of William Anson, of Anson & Deeley fame.

He knows well how to string a sentence together, as is said in the editing business, and how to make a compelling argument.

Fans of the A&D boxlock -- as well as those of late 19th-Century American doubles -- will find much to enjoy.

A fine job, Kensal Rise.

Thanks for the heads-up! It looks very interesting.
I read John Campbell’s article on Joseph Needham and his patent for the first barrel - cocking hammerless double gun this afternoon in the 2018 Winter issue of the double gun journal. I ordered Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun from Amazon immediately after. I’m looking forward to a good read.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: New Book: "Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun" - 09/05/20 10:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Ordered it. Looks to be an interesting read.
Vic ,
Thank you for the kind words .
This book has had a gestation period of over 14 years, good to see it has now seen the light of day thanks to John's faith and perseverence
Kind regards, Peter Harris, Anson archivist and researcher,
otherwise known as Salopian.
Ordered today, I look forward to learning more.

Thanks for the post directing my attention to it
No hardcover edition?
Posted By: AlanD Re: New Book: "Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun" - 09/08/20 10:10 AM
Ordered a copy a few days ago, looking forward to reading it.

Regards

AlanD
is that the only place its available?
At the moment , yes I believe so , but I am sure any good bookshop can obtain it for you . John is trying to find British outlets .
It's not difficult to obtain using the internet.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: New Book: "Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun" - 09/13/20 08:38 PM
My copy arrived yesterday. Enjoyed the nice read. Well worth the purchase. Just wish there was a hardcover option.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: New Book: "Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun" - 09/13/20 11:33 PM
You can never have too-much information on these guns IMHO. Just ordered it.
My copy arrived this morning.

Excellent book, both content and pictures well put together, only thing wrong it was not offered in hardback.

Well worth the purchase price and then some.
John - please let me know when it will be available in hardcover, preferably slipcased, I'll definitely buy it.

Dean
I doubt it will ever be available as a hard back. Pity really , because it is a keeper.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: New Book: "Birth of the Boxlock Shotgun" - 09/17/20 01:40 PM
Going to local book binder Friday to see what it would cost to have this book made into a hard back book. Will advise final price.
Thanks KY Jon
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com