doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB I thought the board would want to know - 09/03/20 06:10 PM
Several days ago Stan Hillis was in a terrible accident, for some unknown he reason he lost consciousness and spent several minutes submerged under water. Luckily someone was there to see what happened and pull him out. Stan is in the hospital now, sedated and on a ventilator, the doctors hope remove him from the sedatives and the ventilator by tomorrow. His Son says he is not out of the woods yet but they are very hopeful for a full recovery. The family asked that you keep him in your thoughts and prayers and to please not call or text at this time, his wife is under a lot of stress right now.
My fervent prayers for Stan's quick recovery and for the well being of his family...Geo
Prayers made for Stan and his family.
Posted By: craigd Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/03/20 06:24 PM
Thanks for relaying the news Steve. It goes without question, he is in our thoughts and prayers.
My prayers for his recovery.
Karl
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/03/20 06:45 PM
Good heavens. Thanks for the news. . Will be certain to keep him and his family in my prayers.
Thank you for the news. Hope and prayers are for a complete recovery.
Oh no! Stan’s one of the good guys. My thoughts and prayers are with him and with the medical team caring for him.
Posted By: builder Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/03/20 07:23 PM
What a shock! My prayers are for his full and rapid recovery.
Posted By: LGF Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/03/20 07:29 PM
Just awful. Steve, please keep us informed as you hear more.
Just terrible news and my heartfelt prayers go out for him and his family. Stan sent me an e-mail just last Friday asking about how things were going in Montana, and he went on to relate that his upcoming harvest and dove prospects were looking real positive for him.......and then this. 'Thanks' for the notification, Steve.......and

God Bless the Hillis home with a full and speedy recovery.

Rob Harris
This is certainly a shock to hear. Thank you Steve for getting the word out and Stan and his family will be in my thoughts. Hoping we will see him back here soon.
Posted By: topgun Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/03/20 08:58 PM
Wow, what a shock! Praying for Stan's quick and full recovery; he's definitely one of the "good guys" and this site would never be the same without Brother Stan.
Fifteen doomed mourning doves will continue their flight Saturday afternoon. May Stan recover quickly enough to catch up with them during Season two...Geo
Thanks Steve for the heads up. I will keep Him and his family in my thoughts.
Yes thanks Steve, prayers to him and his family for a fast recovery.

I was wondering why he didn't post about Opening Day.
Wow, several minutes under water, just terrible. Positive thoughts headed Stan's way.
Grieving the loss of an old friend last night to COVID & then log on to see this terrible word. Privileged to pray for Stan and his family.

Thanks, Steve.
Thank you for posting. Please keep us updated. Prayers for a fast and full recovery.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 12:24 AM
Terrible news. I always thoroughly enjoyed his posts. Dove everywhere are breathing a bit easier. Praying for him. Please keep us up to date.
Posted By: ed good Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 12:33 AM
kindest thoughts and prayers for stan and his loved ones...
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 12:39 AM
Praying for a complete and speedy recovery....
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Tom Bryant
Oh no! Stan’s one of the good guys. My thoughts and prayers are with him and with the medical team caring for him.

I could not agree more.
That is sad news indeed.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 01:17 AM
Wow—that is shocking. I will add my prayers to those of the others for healing and recovery.
I wish only the best for Stan
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 02:06 AM
Here is to a speedy recovery. Prayers sir!
Prayers sent. Stan and I have shot together several times. He is a super guy.
Hang in there my friend ... we'll talk soon
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 02:32 AM
Stan has always been a bright light for me on this board. Most definitely fervent prayers for him and comfort for his family! Darn!
Posted By: Tim in PA Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 02:49 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. He and his family are in my prayers.

Tim
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 02:50 AM
Steve, thank you for letting us know and please keep us informed of his progress.

Stan and his family will be in my wife and my prayers.

We've met Stan and had lunch with him several times at the Bray's Island Exposition. In real life he is as nice as his persona on this site.
Truly unfortunate.

With our thoughts and prayers, a speedy recovery would be a great blessing to us all, especially Stan and his family.
I only know Stan from this board but he does indeed seem to be on of the good guys. Prayers for him and his family.
Posted By: Buzz Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 09:42 AM
I’m very saddened to hear this terrible news. Godspeed.
Posted By: GLS Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 09:43 AM
I hope to find out more soon. And I hope it will be good news.
This is terrible news. Gil
Posted By: gjw Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 09:59 AM
Thanks for the news Steve.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Stan and his family for a quick and speedy recovery.

Godspeed Stan!
Posted By: mel5141 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 10:59 AM
Oh Lord! What a Fine Southern Gentleman, I always enjoy our conversations and personal emails on many/mostly gun and hunting related subjects.
Godspeed to him.
Sad to hear...

I'm going to miss reading his granpappy ground swatting quail stories.
Just now seeing this. Stan and I are very close friends. I pray for him. I pray for him.

If anyone here can get me more info, please call or text to 601-479-3163 Thanks.
JR
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 01:21 PM
Just found out about my friend Stan! He is a true southern gentleman ! Prayers sent. Bobby
Posted By: Mills Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 01:26 PM
That is terrible news. Thank you for letting us know. I would love to do something if he needs anything.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 01:37 PM
Damn. WTH happened? Very troubling news. Hoping the best for a full & speedy recovery. Get well soon, Stan!!!
Posted By: GLS Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 02:47 PM
As of yesterday Stan was communicating, but was still on vent. The plan is he's to come off of it today. Apparently on a houseboat with folks and was seen by someone on shore go in but not resurface. There was a sliding board on the boat but not clear if he went in off of it. Person onshore got attention of folks on boat who dove in and found him and brought him up. Still sketchy details. No detectable head or brain injury but complaints of back pain. This is fourth hand info. Gil
Gil, if your information is correct, then I thank God for providing the person on shore who alerted the group on the boat who got him out. Unconscious and underwater in the river is a killer. I figured the river was involved.

The main thing now is getting him off the respirator and his lungs working again. Staying on the respirator can lead to ARDS. Stan's a tough guy so I'm encouraged by your post...Geo
Posted By: SKB Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 03:14 PM
According to Stan's son the accident happened at Clark's Hill Lake.

The last update from his son(posted yesterday morning on FB) said Stan has lots of blood on the lungs and when they tried to reduce the sedatives his blood pressure went sky high. I hope today is a better day and Stan fully recovers swiftly.
Posted By: craigd Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 03:37 PM
Thanks for the updates guys. We’ll see you around Stan, just do whatever it takes.
Posted By: Goillini Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 06:08 PM
Prayer said for Stan's recovery.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/04/20 06:10 PM
Thanks for the updates and we all need to keep Praying for a full recovery. Bobby
Oh my Lord, that is horrible. Hope he fully recovers.
I concur Suh- in spades (doubled and redoubled, if I can quote the late Nash Buckingham-- In April 2019 Stan and I concluded a gun transaction- He purchased a 3E 12 gauge Smith I owned-and of all the gun transactions Interstate I have been involved with in the past 25 years- this was the absolute finest -- we chatted on the phone afterwards, he was most gracious to invite Mae and I to stop in and visit with him and accept his invite to hunt with him and his son back then.

I hope and pray for Stan's overcoming this scenario. My closest friends here in MI are farmers: honest, hard working, no false pretenses- and Stan and his son, going back to Stan's Grandpa, were and are "men of the soil"-- those who wrestle a living from their land, facing Mother Nature every day--

Know that Mae and I are praying for Stan and all his family. I am positive that he and Jean will come through this situation, and that soon Stan will be out after those "coo-coo mourners" with a favorite .410 bore doublegun in hand". RWTF
Posted By: coosa Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/05/20 02:11 AM
I'm so sorry to read about this. I have always enjoyed Stan's posts and will be praying for him and his family.
So saddened to read this about Stan. Such a great guy. I got on here hoping to read his opening day dove shoot report and found this instead. I pray he recovers quickly. Thank God he was spotted by someone. Thanks for the updates,

Adam
Stan was one of the reasons I joined this board many years ago.
His advice and willingness to share his knowledge freely with others are just a couple of his qualities that make him a true gentleman.
I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/05/20 04:05 AM
This has been a really tough week. Hearing this about Stan is unbelievable.
Posted By: SKB Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/05/20 09:50 AM
A bit of news from Stan's son David:

progress is still up & down, but hopeful. He has developed an infection from the lake water & is on antibiotics to kill it. He also has developed pneumonia. His fever spiked around 104 last night, but has been down around 100 most all day today, and they have a cooling blanket on him. They weren't able to get him off the ventilator today, but settings are even lower now and he is spontaneously breathing a lot in his own.
Posted By: tut Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/05/20 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: SKB
A bit of news from Stan's son David:

progress is still up & down, but hopeful. He has developed an infection from the lake water & is on antibiotics to kill it. He also has developed pneumonia. His fever spiked around 104 last night, but has been down around 100 most all day today, and they have a cooling blanket on him. They weren't able to get him off the ventilator today, but settings are even lower now and he is spontaneously breathing a lot in his own.

That's good news. Hopefully he is headed out of the woods now.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/05/20 01:11 PM
Just saw this. Prayers for him and his family.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/05/20 02:09 PM
Very sorry to hear the news about Stan.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/05/20 02:54 PM
I will dove hunt today with a 20 gauge i got from Stan last year in a trade. Get well fast Stan! Bobby
Nasty News!! How terrible. I'm hoping for a quick and complete recovery as he deserves.

Dr.WtS
Best wishes to Stan and his family for his full recovery.
Posted By: SKB Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/05/20 11:25 PM
Stan had a rough day today.

From his boy David:

Today was a scary day. When they tried taking Dad off the ventilator, his pulse shot up into the 200s & he went into a dangerous heart rhythm. They had to quickly put him back on the vent, and started an 18-hour drip medication to bring his heart rate under control. Just now it was back down to 84, praise God. He is still running a fever of 100-101, as his body fights off an infection from two different bacteria in his system. They have stopped with the cold towels to pull his fever down, so his body is fighting the fever now. They will leave him on the ventilator, and hope to try to get him off it on Monday. Please pray his body strengthens to the point they can do that, that is a big need.
Please keep my brother Jonathan in your prayers, too. Taking over an entire farming operation on your own for the first time right at the start of harvest season without Daddy's help or even to be able to ask him questions, if you could imagine, is overwhelming. This is going to be a long road, and Daddy is likely to not be able to be of any help for the rest of the harvest season.
I also pray for Stan's recovery and also for those who have to continue on. God will give them the strength and wisdom to succeed as they ask Him.
Oh no! Prayers sent.
Posted By: Willieb Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/06/20 01:21 AM
Prayers sent for Stan, Johnathan and the rest of the family.
Posted By: bushveld Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/06/20 02:15 AM
It was terrible news to learn of Stan's condition. I continue to pray for his recovery and restoration to his former health.

Stephen Howell
Posted By: mel5141 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/06/20 02:17 AM
Strong People from Strong Stock.....We pray and hope for Stan's improvement and recovery..... But I am certain the agricultural community in the area will rise to the occasion and offer wise counsel and guidance to young Jonathan.
A multi- generational farm family in the same community probably has strong bonds with neighbors....Let's get him well, I bet the farming will get done.
I'm a cowpuncher, not a goober or cotton grower, so I'm no assistance, otherwise I would offer to go down to help.
Stay strong and know the prayers of Many are with him and the family.

I am willing to wager that the Southern spirit of "neighboring" will take "aholt" and pull Jonathan through this test.
Good stuff, Mel. Thanks.
JR
Prayers for healing for Stan and comfort for his family!
Amen to that thought. Previous friends of Stan and Jean have said, and said it well, how a close-knit Christian based rural family will pull through this, due to their rock-solid faith in Our Lord, and tradition of neighbors helping neighbors. Something you won't likely find often in the congested subdivisions the NE sectors of America host-- farmers have to work with Mother Nature, animals, weather, crop prices controlled by those who wouldn't know a hay bine from a John Deere 520, and a general indifference to their way of life. We need more folks in our world like Stan and his family- May the Good Lord shine His light on all the Hillis family and their friends in Stan's time of need. RWTF
Posted By: SKB Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/07/20 12:47 PM
Stan's boy posted late last night that yesterday was not much change.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/07/20 12:58 PM
Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on this.
Posted By: SKB Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/07/20 10:57 PM
Some good news from Stan's boy David:

Great news!!! They shut the ventilator off a little over an hour ago, and he handled it ok. They will leave the intubation in for at least another day as a precaution, but he is BREATHING ON HIS OWN! Thank you Lord! He's still fighting the infection and is running a low fever.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/07/20 11:01 PM
Finally....some good news. Thank you Steve.
Posted By: craigd Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/07/20 11:23 PM
Show 'em what you got Stan, thanks for the updates Steve.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/07/20 11:33 PM
Stan is a fighter! Praise The Lord! Bobby
Great news!
That's great to hear!
Thanks for keeping us informed and up to date Steve.
I'm encouraged enough to think Stan will be reading this thread soon. Buddy, just so you know the rest of us enjoyed the labor day weekend dove shooting. I thought of you this afternoon when I dropped a high one and Stella, the yellow wonder lab trotted out and retrieved it to just far enough from my dove seat I had to get up and pick it up; as usual. My shooting continues to worsen but some things stay the same...Geo
Thank you Lord Jesus. Cannot wait to hear from you, Stan. Thumbs up! I know Jean and the boys are doing better too. Having a sip of Larceny bourbon and Judy let out an Amen for you...
JR
Glad to hear some good news about Stan. I know the positive thoughts and the prayers sent his way have aided his healing.
Posted By: Cameron Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 01:17 AM
I've been checking this post religiously for positive news on Stan's condition! Praise God for the some good news Steve posted. Thanks Steve for keeping us apprised on what's going on.
Many thanks Steve, I'm thankful for his continued recovery and look forward to his posts again!
Karl
Posted By: Mills Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 01:27 AM
Hoping for more good news. Sorry there was a setback.
Posted By: mel5141 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 01:57 AM
Ah! Good news at last, I think about him every time I go shooting this season.....I feel this is a good sign that he will be back afield again......Strong people from Strong Stock....Praise Be
Posted By: Hammergun Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 08:51 AM
So good to hear this.
Posted By: GLS Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 12:13 PM
Whew! Good news. Gil
Posted By: RARiddell Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 12:14 PM
Good news!
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 12:39 PM
Stan i dropped a few opening day with the 20 gauge 200E i got from you last year.Bobby
Posted By: eightbore Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 01:32 PM
I am one of the lucky ones, who knows Stan in person. I remember our first meeting when he must have taken to my Lovely Linda and kept us in raw peanuts for a year. I am smart to have Linda accompany me on shooting excursions to help me to get over my shy demeanor. Stan is what I see as a "Real Man", a farmer, a bird shooter, a gun guy to the extreme. Get well soon, my buddy. Bill Murphy in Maryland.
Posted By: Mills Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/08/20 01:52 PM
We had the pleasure of visiting with Stan at the one double gun event we were able to make this year at Old Hudson in Sparta, Ga. Hoping Stan recovers and soon and that he is able to get back on this board.
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
My fervent prayers for Stan's quick recovery and for the well being of his family. I hope this was not related to his weekend sandbar activities...Geo

George did anyone figure out what happened ?
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Thank you Lord Jesus. Cannot wait to hear from you, Stan. Thumbs up! I know Jean and the boys are doing better too. Having a sip of Larceny bourbon and Judy let out an Amen for you...
JR

I guess this is an inside joke.
Joe-- WTF?? This is NOT a joke. One of the best gents ever on this Forum, as well as in real life, is in a dangerous situation, and all of his friends here, and I an fortunate to count myself in that number, are praying for his recovery. Where do you see any glimmer of humor in that? RWTF
Posted By: SKB Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/10/20 01:24 PM
David has posted another update:

Mom was able to see him yesterday in ICU and push him. With fully opened eyes but a weak voice he would do his best to tell her he wanted to hold her hand. She would kiss him, and then say if he didn’t eat his lunch, he would have to drink their berry flavored Ensure 🤢😂. He still continuously fights fever from the lung infection, but there is talk of him being released from ICU soon! What a change from just a few days ago. Thankful for answered prayer!
Good news.

Thanks for the relay Steve.
Steve,
That is very good and hopeful news! Thanks for the update.
Karl
Posted By: Mills Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/10/20 03:51 PM
Good news and good update!
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
My fervent prayers for Stan's quick recovery and for the well being of his family. I hope this was not related to his weekend sandbar activities...Geo

jOe, he fell off a houseboat in Clark Hill reservoir and nearly drowned. I don't know any details beyond that and I doubt it is any of my business. I just hope for his recovery...Geo
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/10/20 04:02 PM

Speedy recovery, 'Mercian.
Posted By: Stallones Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/10/20 04:08 PM
SHOCKED! STAN AND I COMMUNICATE OFTEN. HE AND I SHOT THE SXS AT THE US OPEN IN 2010 AND HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT SINCE KEEP US OPDATED
Posted By: tw Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/10/20 04:13 PM
Just now reading of Stan's travails. What a horror to happen to a really good man. Prayers up for his continued recovery, his docs & medical staff and the Good Lord's assistance that he makes a full one.

We've traded PM's now & again since he first joined the board. Stand up gentleman w/a true and genuine interest in things double gun related.

Stan should be in a dove field(!), not a hospital bed. And I'm sorry to learn that he isn't.
Glad to hear he’s improving. Continued prayers for this fine gentleman. I’ve had the pleasure of talking with Stan numerous times and sold him the Dickinson .410 he writes about. We talked of shooting together, and I still hope this will happen in the near future.
I would run through forest fire wearing kerosene shorts to get a chance to hunt (or shoot at) doves and ducks with Stan someday. All of us on this Forum can tell from his posts and replies that he is not only a collector and shooter of quality double guns, but a gentleman of the South- none better. RWTF
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
...a gentleman of the South- none better. RWTF

He is that, RWTF, he is that.
JR
Posted By: Tinker Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/11/20 12:28 AM
Sending all the best from our hill out west.

jOe, he fell off a houseboat in Clark Hill reservoir and nearly drowned. I don't know any details beyond that and I doubt it is any of my business. I just hope for his recovery...Geo

Just wondering what happened....how do you fall off a house boat ?
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
I would run through forest fire wearing kerosene shorts to get a chance to hunt (or shoot at) doves and ducks with Stan someday.

Fox I thought you did that when you went shooting with Markethunter...
Only once, Joe- that was more than enough for this ol' Damn Yankee. RWTF
There's an answer to your "falling off a houseboat" a real kickin' squall- see the 20 some year old movie with Robert DeNiro as Max Cady- "Cape Fear"-- I'm ten years older than our mutual friend Stan, and I don't go up extension ladders anymore-RWTF
Fox

It would seem that we're only allowed to know what they want us to know...

George made it clear that parts of the story was "none his business" and other parts were everyone's business.

Was there alcohol and young women in them string bikinis envolved ?

When Stan gets back I'll get to the bottom of this "hOuse bOat mystery".
I doubt that, Joseph. You must be thinking, somehow, of the late Mass Senator Edward Moore Kennedy- he was spotted by the papa-razzi cameras aboard a yacht just off Martha's Vineyard, arm around several string bikini clad bimbos--News caption in the paper read: "Senator Kennedy planning on some offshore deep drilling today"!!

All levity aside, I've never yet met Stan or Jean, or his family. But from our e-mails and phone calls back in April 2019, when we closed the deal on a L.C. Smith 12 I had for sale, I can tell you that I doubt your assertions. I'd bet my modest working collection of M12's on that-- RWTF
So I take it you've never heard about the Southern house boat party barges...

They anchor down in big groups get drunk and get crAzy.

George knows...

Fox they've even wrote songs about it.

Was there alcohol and young women in them string bikinis envolved ?

I can think of worse ways of dying. I’ll probably get hit by a bus. Stone cold sober.

So I take it you've never heard about the Southern house boat party barges...
They anchor down in big groups get drunk and get crAzy.

It’s called Jobbie Nooner in Detroit.

George knows...

Lol.

Possibly we could dispense with the character assassination of a man who is unable to defend himself, regarding an event of which we have no knowledge, the outcome of which is still very much uncertain, and the recovery from which will require tremendous effort and courage on the part of both Stan and his family.

Or continue to demonstrate total lack of compassion and empathy, which is very strong evidence of a sociopathic personality disorder...and cowardice.
Possibly the participants could share what psychological benefit they derive from being such an azz?? Does it really somehow make you feel better about yourself?
Posted By: mel5141 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/12/20 02:30 PM
Thank You , Mr. Hause, that needed to be expressed.
You put your business out on the internet people are going to be curious.

I doubt anyone here thinks anything untoward was involved.

Possibly we could dispense with the character assassination of a man who is unable to defend himself, regarding an event of which we have no knowledge, the outcome of which is still very much uncertain, and the recovery from which will require tremendous effort and courage on the part of both Stan and his family.

Or continue to demonstrate total lack of compassion and empathy, which is very strong evidence of a sociopathic personality disorder...and cowardice.
Possibly the participants could share what psychological benefit they derive from being such an azz?? Does it really somehow make you feel better about yourself?

And you call yourself a man of cloth...better look at your inner demons.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/12/20 04:02 PM
Lordy ,Lordy Stan is as fine a Christian as I know. Bobby
Posted By: eightbore Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/12/20 04:43 PM
Dave seems to have missed someone on his "banned" list. I guess now I'm going to be a victim of another mentally ill poster. Oh, well, I survived the rants of Fox with the Runs. I guess I can survive this one. Maybe Dave can get to the ban button before the "bannee" gets to me.
Originally Posted By: bbman3

Lordy lordy...

I'm with you brother Bobby
I'm betting Stan was down on the lake saving lost souls.

Maybe even some baptizing.

I'm awaiting his fast return so he can testify to us.

homelessjOe, the rest of us are hoping and praying that Stan will come through this with all his faculties and without brain damage, as we would if yOu were in the same position. His wife and family must be in agony. And yOu want to poke fun at him while he is down.

I usually put up with you because you are funny sometimes, and didn't even have you on ignOre. I hope Dave will see fit to remove your line of posts from this thread. Too far, too far...Geo
Posted By: bushveld Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/12/20 10:59 PM
George;

It seems to me that the we will see if Dave has his "Ignore" switched on or not. Unfortunately, I suspect that he has.
I'm hoping he does too George.
I believe that...Geo
Please reserve comments on this thread to how Stan is doing! All this cute snipping is counter to what is important and, IMO, disrespectful to Stan.
Posted By: eightbore Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/13/20 07:28 AM
Thank you, Walter. Your friend, Bill Murphy in MD.
Posted By: gjw Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/13/20 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: bbman3

Lordy lordy...

Totally uncalled for. To bad yOu weren't banned! Not the time or place for these crass comments!
Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
Please reserve comments on this thread to how Stan is doing! All this cute snipping is counter to what is important and, IMO, disrespectful to Stan.

Talk about cute snipping.....

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Dave seems to have missed someone on his "banned" list. I guess now I'm going to be a victim of another mentally ill poster. Oh, well, I survived the rants of Fox with the Runs. I guess I can survive this one. Maybe Dave can get to the ban button before the "bannee" gets to me.

Why the need to attack Fox ?
I take it you're not a religious feller ?
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
You put your business out on the internet people are going to be curious.

I doubt anyone here thinks anything untoward was involved.

Exactly....I hope he's doing better but I'm still curious as to what happened.
Posted By: ed good Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/13/20 02:36 PM
doc drew: right on!

jOe: give hit ah rest...

we are all hoping and praying that stan will be ok...
Posted By: SKB Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 12:59 AM
Another update from David, Stan's son:

Another accomplishment today... 15 days after almost losing him, Dad left ICU and is now in a regular room! Talking more and more and still off the vent, though he is still on oxygen right now. Starting to move around a little and that means he is capable of giving nurses a hard time when he starts trying to do things himself. 😉 Looking forward to him being able to return home and to church, where he can sing again and praise God!
Posted By: Argo44 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 01:07 AM
Good news. We're ready to hear from you Stan.
Posted By: SamW Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 01:34 AM
Really good to know Steve!
Posted By: craigd Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 01:55 AM
You show those nurses just how ornery you can be Stan, and then give them some more.
Posted By: builder Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 02:12 AM
Thanks for the update Steve. It is wonderful to hear encouraging news. I come on here with my fingers crossed every day.
Excellent, glad to hear it.
Excellent news!
I am so gladdened to hear this. I look forward to seeing his return post when he’s ready.
Posted By: tw Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 08:51 AM
That's the best news I've had all weekend.

Most heartened to hear of your improving conditions, Stan!

And a thank you, for keeping all informed, SKB.
Originally Posted By: SKB
Another update from David, Stan's son:

Another accomplishment today... 15 days after almost losing him, Dad left ICU and is now in a regular room! Talking more and more and still off the vent, though he is still on oxygen right now. Starting to move around a little and that means he is capable of giving nurses a hard time when he starts trying to do things himself. 😉 Looking forward to him being able to return home and to church, where he can sing again and praise God!

Great news....

I await with bAited breath.
Thanks Steve, very good news to hear! Looking forward to hearing from Stan soon.
Karl
Thanks, Steve.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 12:04 PM
Good news is scarce enough these days. Good to hear some about Stan's progress!
Just finished praying for Stan (& others) this morning and so glad now to see this encouraging report.

(and thanks, Steve, for continuing to share updates)
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 12:19 PM
Praise The Lord! Bobby
Amen to that, brother. With all the Sturm und Drang going down today, getting good news about one of our brothers here on the BBS Forum gruppen is indeed, a blessing forall of Stan's many friends. RWTF
Good question Joe. Been wondering about that going back to my former days in the PGCA- shoot, they even published a article I wrote about a 12 gauge GHE Parker project gun that Brad Bachelder and I did- still have it-sad to say, not Brad. My friend Stan Hillis told me he has met Bill at many clays shoots in past years and thinks highly of him--that's close enough for me.. How about it. Murphy- want to "bury the hatchet"?? Life is too short as it is, right? RWTF
Like "Dueling Banjos?"" RWTF
Believe that is Dr. Hause, not Mr. Hause. RWTF
Great news about Stan, thanks for the updates SKB.
Posted By: mel5141 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 02:07 PM
I am delighted to hear of his progress....Hopefully he is deemed sound, and discharged soon.
Speaking from some relatively extensive experience......I can assure that recovery seems to come much faster when one is recouping at home.
Happy to hear the good news! This thread has got to be one of the biggest ever. We'll start a new one when you get home, Stan.
And make that real snappy on the timeframe. Lotsa doves a-waiting for Stan and his boys to shoot- wish we had a dove season here- RWTF
Posted By: Mills Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/14/20 04:36 PM
Wonderful news! Keep it coming!
Posted By: Cary Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/15/20 09:16 PM
I've been following this thread with dread; just waiting for the bomb to explode. I've been enjoying Stan's contributions since he first came on this board and have spoken to him twice on the phone. He's a fine man, a good man and a man we should all emulate. What a great relief to read he's doing better.

I can change my prayer request to a prayer of thanks.

Cary Nelson
Best wishes winging your way, Stan!

I haven't logged on in months and this was the first thread I opened. shocked

My first exchange with Stan on this forum was about a 10ga LC Smith I found that he then purchased.

I logged in today to ask about another American made 10ga. Interesting how events tie memories together.

Get well soon, Stan.
Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. They have definitely carried me through. Feeling better each day. Moved to a rehabilitation center yesterday and my first three evaluations were very strong. Likely be in here another week to week and a half.

Enjoy life guys, mobility be can leave as quickly as a dove with a 40 mph tailwind.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 11:17 AM
Stan that is great news! Bobby
Posted By: SKB Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 11:20 AM
Welcome back Stan! Wishing you the best during your rehab, hope you are soon back to 100% and out there for late Dove season.
Good to see you up and about this morning. Or at least on line anyway. Heal up fast.
This has made my day seeing your post Stan. Welcome back.
Posted By: btdtst Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 11:39 AM
Terrific news. Hope you're driving the medical staff crazy, Stan, as that's always a good sign.
Posted By: mel5141 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 11:40 AM
Delighted to hear of your progress.....Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
Excellent!
So glad to hear from you Stan and best wishes going forward.
Get well, Stan! There are ducks to be hunted! So good to hear from you!
Posted By: Cameron Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 12:20 PM
Good to hear your back Stan...prayers and best wishes for a speedy rehab!
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 12:27 PM
Great news, glad to have you back.
Posted By: craigd Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 12:30 PM
Welcome back Stan.
Best wishes for a speedy convalescence and complete recovery, Stan.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Hammergun Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 01:09 PM
I wish you the best Stan. Your family must be very happy.
Glad to hear from Stan. Work hard at rehab...Geo
Hallelujah! Thank you Lord for answering our prayers. Lord, you are great, kind, powerfull, loving and merciful.

Stan, get well soon. Duck season will be here before we know it.

Mike
Stan, very happy to see your post.

Michael
Posted By: Argo44 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 01:40 PM
Welcome back Stan.
What great news this morning to log in and see a personal message from you.
So happy for you, Stan. And thankful for the Lord’s grace to you (& your family).
Will gladly continue to pray for you as you work hard in rehab.
Good to see you posting Stan.
Posted By: topgun Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 03:26 PM
Great news seeing your post, and what a joy to know you're progressing well towards recovery. Praying that you'll soon regain full mobility and again be 100%!
Posted By: builder Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 03:32 PM
Great news. The birds are waiting!!!
Good to see you came out the other side Stan, rest up, get back to full strength.
Posted By: Buzz Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 04:13 PM
The GA dove will be in trouble soon! Can’t wait to hear that you have killed a limit. grin
pleased to learn that you have returned to the "walking wounded" roster...
best regards!
Posted By: LGF Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/19/20 06:09 PM
Wonderful news, Stan. We have missed you.
On the day you and the lads get after the "Coo-Coo" mourners, I'm gonna follow the Palmetto Grits recipe for Shrimp and Grits and raised a glass of bourbon and branch water (George Dickel) in your honor, Stan. All of your many friends will celebrate in their own ways that happy day. RWTF
I’m so glad to see you back, Stan. I’ve hoped to shoot with you some day, and now that we’re both on the mend, maybe that can happen soon. Get well soon.
Wonderful news Stan! Glad to see you posting again.I
Rest up and continue the recovery.
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/20/20 01:19 AM
Stan, our prayers continue...so thankful for your improvement.
Stan,
Glad to see your post and Hear your doing better. Focus on recovery

Rich
Posted By: coosa Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/20/20 01:48 AM
Great to see a post from you, Stan! Truly an answer to prayers, and may you continue to improve.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/20/20 01:52 AM
Thank God you’re back, Stan! Have prayed often for your recovery. Incidentally, next time wear water wings......
Posted By: GLS Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/20/20 10:20 AM
I've circled the date, a year from last year, when we clobbered them doodles. We'll do it again. Gil
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/20/20 10:26 AM
Godspeed Stan!
Posted By: SamW Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/20/20 11:02 AM
"a dove with a 40 mph tailwind"...now that is FAST! Hope your recovery is comparable!!
I'm just going to dabble around in the water's edge, with the kiddies.

Back to more physical therapy today. They have determined there is no brain damage. Another huge blessing!

SRH
Posted By: craigd Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/20/20 11:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if you feel like poop, but that just means you're on your way to getting back to normal. Maybe, it's time to start an official countdown to bird season. See if you can get the grandkids to sneak you in some piping hot cheesy grits.
Originally Posted By: Stan

Back to more physical therapy today. They have determined there is no brain damage. Another huge blessing!

SRH

That's a very good thing.

There's more than enough brain damage to go around.
Yes and amen to the cheese grits. In Stan's honor, I had some Palmetto Mill grits with my eggs and toast and coffee this AM.. I love grits, and I'm a damn Yankee. RWTF
Yes, and apparently not a given when you drown in warm water.

Thanks again for the kind thoughts of so manv.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/20/20 05:02 PM
Happy to hear you're doing better.
May I echo what another member suggested...

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash

Happy to hear you're doing better.
May I echo what another member suggested...

That pic of the baby slipping through the tube with the water wings on his feet reminds me of one time I was using a float tube and waders. I slipped and turned turtle with my feet up in the air and barely made it by flipping the tube over again. I doubt I could do that now, but at least now I have better sense than to get in the water with a float tube...Geo
Glad to hear you are on the mend Stan.
Posted By: Goillini Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/21/20 01:05 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Stan.
Posted By: keith Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/21/20 02:23 AM
Stan, I've been following the news about your accident, and praying for your recovery. Great to hear you are on the mend with no permanent damage.

Here's an old video that might cheer up an inveterate dove hunter who has had his season cut short...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PyCpG06138
How dey do dat? I'll bet the Audubon-ites about crapped their chaps over that-- RWTF
I'm very happy your doing better Stan. That was a close one.
Glad you made it Stan...I'm sure it was a life changing event.

I worked with a guy that was out where he shouldn't have been too and he had a kinda' similar life changing event.

Guy gave his old lady the clap and got fire and brim stone religion all in one week.

You know what they say "God works in Mysterious ways".
Thanks Joe. I appreciate that. And yes, it has been a life changing event, in several ways.

Best wishes, SRH
Posted By: builder Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/21/20 08:16 PM
It was a shock when we heard the news. I think everyone is happy to hear how well you are doing. I am sure it will change the way you look at life. I also know that you had prayers in at least three religions. They were answered.

Best,
Milt
Stan,
I've just returned from a week of grouse hunting and found the great news of your recovery posted. I thought of you while walking the Northern woods, hoping for your return. I'm thankful for your return here!
Best wishes,
Karl
Posted By: Mills Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/22/20 02:29 PM
Very glad to hear you are back and on the mend, Stan! Hope your recovery goes well!
Best wishes for your recovery.
Looking forward to your return to the Double Gun conversation.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/23/20 05:36 AM
Welcome back Stan. I hope you stick around for a good bit longer. On learning of your accident, I started reading some of your old postings and ran across one where you had examined Bo Whoop and some old .410 posts. I'm hoping to read many more like them that you post in the future. Best wishes, Chuck
Some late news ...... I'm going home from the rehab Friday!!
I'll be able go on the forums on my Mac instead of this cell phone. Yay!
Great to hear Stan.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/23/20 01:49 PM
Stan that is good news and maybe you will be ready when dove season opens up again. Bobby
Posted By: Mills Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/23/20 01:49 PM
Very good news!
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: I thought the board would want to know - 09/23/20 01:58 PM
fantastic, if only you could see the smile on my face when I read you are going home.
Great news Stan. Really good to have you back.
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Originally Posted by bbman3

Lordy lordy...

How fast was the house boat going ?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com