doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jtplumb Bending horn butt plate - 08/27/20 04:45 PM
I need to bend a horn plate. Do I soak it in water, heat ?
Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks
Posted By: 6878mm Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/27/20 08:05 PM
I am pretty sure hot water does the trick, I can remember dad doing something like that
Not 90degrees, but a curve

Cheers
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/27/20 09:37 PM
When I was building powder horns I made a few that had flat sides and what I did was boil then till they got soft. Took a while but it worked.

Unfortunately my wife came home before I got a chance to air out the house (it really stinks) and caught me using her good pot, seems it can leave a real coating of scum in the pot that doesn't like to come out....

Even though I replaced the pot and got the smell out of the house, that was 30 years ago and it is still a touchy subject... You have been warned... LOL..
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/27/20 10:04 PM
Awesome thanks for the heads up guys.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/28/20 12:13 AM
be sure to hang it in the boiling water on a wire, you don't want it touching the pot or you can burn it. Don
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/28/20 12:41 PM
Don,
Don't let her catch you boiling some small parts that needed touch up rust blue. It is less of a problem to take the time to heat up the big tank than try to explain: "that is rust, not grease". Then you can find out her opinion of rust too. Don't ask how I know.
Mike
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/28/20 06:06 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the tip. Ya I think any of us that tinker & have significant others in house have been in the dog house more than once for doing something stupid like this. Sometimes it is easy to forget that the Castle belongs to the Queen and we are tolerated as long as we behave..... LOL...

Don
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/28/20 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: WBLDon
Mike,

Thanks for the tip. Ya I think any of us that tinker & have significant others in house have been in the dog house more than once for doing something stupid like this. Sometimes it is easy to forget that the Castle belongs to the Queen and we are tolerated as long as we behave..... LOL...

Don

Anybody remember shag carpet, from the early 70s? When I first started reloading shotgun shells it was in my office, which was in the house at that time. When we moved in the house in '75 there was shag in that room. We were too poor to get new carpet at that time, so it stayed, ugly as it was. Things went well until one day, during a reloading session gone awry, I spilled a couple of loads of #8s into that shag. Nothing happened ............until Queen ran the vacuum over that area. That's when my reloading moved to an outbuilding.

SRH
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/28/20 09:45 PM
When I was an aspiring young trap shooter, and poorer than Stan, I would pick up plastic shells in the winter on Monday morning in front of the trap line. They would be covered in snow and tobacco juice.

I ran those in the washing machine once like an article in one of the magazines said you could do. They omitted the part about the spin cycle centrifuging the primers out that then ended up in the pump.

My laundry room privileges were curtailed... even after I fixed the machine. She's a poor sport.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/28/20 10:05 PM
You weren't poorer than me if you had a dishwasher! She was the dishwasher, and I was the dryer.

My great uncle told me on my wedding day this: "When she askes you to dry the dishes, which she will, wait until she is washing her best china, given to you at your wedding. Drop her biggest platter on the floor, and make sure it breaks it. It will hurt right then, but it will pay big dividends in the future."

I didn't doubt him but, I never got up enough nerve ........

SRH
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/28/20 11:07 PM
Yep the red clothes in washing machine with hers kept me out of the laundry room. Thank goodness!
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/29/20 12:19 AM
Be careful taking advice from others as there is an age old saying that goes "Misery Like Company" and the advice they are giving you may not be in your best interest....LOL..
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/29/20 05:07 PM
just a collection of stories to be filed under the heading "older and wiser"

many years ago i worked with a half cherokee bricklayer who swore up & down that there was an old indian saying...to soon old - to late smart...
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Bending horn butt plate - 08/29/20 06:43 PM
Guys, Thanks for giving me a good chuckle. I was married to a wonderful gal for 49.5 years but I got my 'message' when I boiled the inner bone out of a freshly 'dehorned' cow horn to make a powder horn. We love our gals--and we have learned to respect their domain! Best to all.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com