doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 02:21 PM
Continuing on with my Merkel 8 tribulations...

The front screw on the trigger plate seems to have been threaded at an angle? The more I unscrew it, the more it seems to be pushing into the trigger plate metal and binding. I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get more than a halfish turn. When I tighten it to the end point of the threads, it seems to level out. It was clearly screwed in at some point, so I can't see how it's angle has changed? Hopefully my pictures can illustrate where my words may have fallen short. I'm all ears to suggestions...please help.

Posted By: ellenbr Re: I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 02:58 PM
Sometimes those screw-heads are asymmetrical in that when they rotate they seem closer on one side. Not sure if that is the possibility here, but make sure everything stays stationary, in its place & try to extract the screw. Keep in the floorplate in readiness in its battery position and doesn't rise giving the impression that the screw isn't backing out.

The Topic name is novel......

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 03:30 PM
The screws were likely made with thick heads and a temporary slot. When the gun was being "fit up", the screws were pulled up tight and the permanent slots marked to all be "fore and aft"( clocked or regulated). The screws then had the permanent slots sawed or filed deeper to the finished depth. Finally, the screw heads were filed and polished "flush" to the surface. When the surface was rounded or tapered, the screw head wound up thicker on one side than the other. This is especially noticeable with wood screws holding the trigger guard. When such a screw is turned out, one side appears to rise and the other appears to sink below the surface; but when it is turned back in to the proper depth, it is flush again.
Mike
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 03:50 PM
So potentially, it may not be at an angle but something may be in the threads preventing it from unscrewing further?
Posted By: james-l Re: I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 04:00 PM
From the look of the screw slot it has been buggered by an ill fitting screw driver and the head is binding on the recess. Probably going to have to set it up in a drill press and keep downward pressure with a good fitting bit to back it out.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 06:58 PM
Lovely >>play by play<< there Ford. I see it more often on the long screw under the top lever or on the top strap.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 08:12 PM
Raimey,
That's another good example.
Mike
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 10:18 PM
Got her out. I added a bit more heat and got her to turn.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: I'm "Screwed" - 08/25/20 10:57 PM
Any pics?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com