doublegunshop.com - home
It is still legal for an individual to ship a firearm to an FFL dealer for transfer rather than FFL to FFL, correct? Afaik, it is, but does anyone know where it's so stated in the ATF guidelines?
JR
Don't know where it's stated, John, but my standby doublegun smith, Jim Kelly of Darlington, SC, told me it is completely legit. If I drive up to his shop and deliver a gun in person I have to receive it, after repairs, the same way. If I ship it directly to him, it has to be shipped directly back to me, and cannot be picked up in person. These are his explanations to me.

SRH
Thanks Stan, but I should have been more clear. I'm talking about selling a gun interstate to another individual, it only has to be RECEIVED by an FFL holder, not shipped from one also. I've done it many, many times over the years without question, but recently had a refusal by a dealer unless it was shipped from an FFL holder as well.
JR
Search the board, there was a discussion at length with ATF links and rules cited.
It is legal for an individual to ship directly to an FFL in another state.

An FFL refusing to accept a shipment unless it comes from another FFL is his personal business policy - find a different FFL to ship to.

In the past month I've shipped 3 firearms directly to an FFL in another state, complying with all laws.
Include a copy of DL if shipping individual to FFL.
Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
It is legal for an individual to ship directly to an FFL in another state.
An FFL refusing to accept a shipment unless it comes from another FFL is his personal business policy - find a different FFL to ship to.
In the past month I've shipped 3 firearms directly to an FFL in another state, complying with all laws.

absolutely - all of it BATF guidelines are quite clear on all of that and no mention is made of FFL to FFL requirements.
Isn't there a low cost federal permit for all guns over 50 years old? Read about it in Firearms News. For non-commercial transfers only as I understand.
A private individual can send a firearm to an FFL in their state or another state without going through a dealer.
The shipment can be for gunsmithing services; repair, refinishing, modification, warranty work etc. in which case the receiving FFL can ship the gun directly back to the private individual.
An individual can sell a gun to a dealer in their state or another state and ship direct to the FFL.
An individual can send a gun through a dealer to transfer to a person in another state. the receiving dealer would transfer the firearm in accordance with standard NIOCS protocol.

What can you ship:
The individual can long guns to a dealer/gunsmith (anyone with FFL) through Post Office, FEDEX, UPS etc.
The individual can only ship handguns to a dealer through UPS, FEDEX or other common carrier. Only dealer to dealer can ship handguns in the mail.
Unfortunately many dealers are unaware or ignorant of the rules and laws.
Originally Posted By: Hal
Isn't there a low cost federal permit for all guns over 50 years old? Read about it in Firearms News. For non-commercial transfers only as I understand.

I believe you are referring to Curio & Relics rules

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics
Originally Posted By: Brian
Unfortunately many dealers are unaware or ignorant of the rules and laws.

I think it has more to do with a CYA attitude in the litigious society we live in. A receiving FFL is not required to have an FFL or a DL from the shipper but that has now become SOP.

Steve
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

see page 4/8
Thanks guys. I thought nothing had changed.
JR
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com