doublegunshop.com - home
Does anyone have any good ideas on removing sticker/tape glue residue from a stock without damaging the oil finish?
Posted By: SKB Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/24/20 04:03 PM
try raw linseed and some rotten stone on a soft cotton cloth.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/24/20 04:16 PM
I know of no known solvent that will not cause you to have to repair an oil finish. The glue used is most likely a sticky mess and it will take a solvent (turpentine, mineral spirits,acetone...) or an abrasive substance of some kind to remove the glue residue. Murphy's Soap has been used but it too leaves a residue of its own that will need touch up. A true Oil finish will only need a couple of drops to bring the damaged area back to spec.....unless the Oil Finish has waxes added to it and the pores of the wood are fully filled. In that case, I recommend Timberluxe for patching in your repair. If you run into difficulty, I am available to help you. Information is free at my shop.
I've never had any problem with damage to an oil finish by removing common adhesives left over from tape or stickers with mineral spirits. Once a linseed-based oil finish cures, mineral spirits aren't aggressive enough to do anything. Regardless, it's easy enough to touch-up with some 1200 grit w.o.d sandpaper and fresh b.l.o.

Acetone-based solvents like lacquer thinner are a whole different story.
JR
Posted By: skeettx Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/24/20 05:33 PM
Lemon Pledge,

1. spray the residue, the wax should stop the binding
on the top, wipe off what you can.

2. spray the residue, the wax should stop the binding

3. spray the residue, the wax should stop the binding

Please report back on how this worked for you.
Not a solvent, but a binding preventer. smile

Mike
Great tips... I'll give it a try
Ditto to what Skeettx said.
Posted By: builder Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/24/20 08:45 PM
Hold on there guys. Just use a quick spray of WD40 which dissolves sticker glue. Olive oil and cooking oil will do it too and none of the above should mess with the finish.
I have to ax, what are the stickers that so many have had to remove from nice, oil finished stocks?

SRH
Good question, Stan. Only times I've needed to remove tape residue was from masking off checkering while refinishing.
JR
Posted By: skeettx Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/24/20 10:15 PM
Price stickers left on for a while.

Masking tape left on for a while.

Why there? uneducated family members after
a death of the firearms owners.

Thank you, Stan!
Mike
Posted By: SKB Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/24/20 10:17 PM
I get guns in from auctions all the time with stickers on them.
Thanks, I've never bought a gun that had an old sticker on it, and I've never had a problem with blue painter's tape leaving any residue. Thus, the question.

Anybody ever tried any of the citrus based goo removers? I use them in other situations, but never on an oil finished gunstock.

SRH
The citrus based cleaners are incredible strippers. I first found that when cleaning an amplifier cab that had old band names painted on it and lotsa stickers. I was using the orange stuff. Lifted every sticker and floated every bit of paint. The 40yo tolex looked near new.
Prolly not good on oil finishes
There were some sales stickers on the stock, but the major offender is the residue from a stick-on cheek pad.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/25/20 12:52 PM
Gojo. Bobby
Posted By: Hal Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/25/20 01:06 PM
The oil finish saved the wood. I have never found a way to remove adhesive stains from either Scotch tape (old type) or masking tape from paper as the adhesives mix with the fibers.
Posted By: Brian Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/25/20 02:10 PM
Ditto on WD40
Posted By: james-l Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/25/20 04:05 PM
I would try using raw linseed oil with a fine 3m pad.
3M Scotchbrite pads are very abrasive.
JR
Posted By: SKB Re: Removing Sticker Residue from Oil Finish - 08/25/20 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
3M Scotchbrite pads are very abrasive.
JR

You are correct of course, but 3m makes a sanding sponge that is much finer(1200/1500 grit) than scotchbrite:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/?N=5002385+3293242377&preselect=8711017+8758383+3294857497&rt=rud
I tried lemon pledge, WD40 and mineral oil with rotten stone. The glue residue on the stock was dried and hardened and the lemon pledge didnt seem to have much effect. WD40 seemed to work pretty well getting the thicker glue off. I finished it off with the mineral oil and rotten stone and it looks quite nice.
Green ScotchBrite and 3M automotive pads are embedded with diamond abrasives. There is also a “non-scratch” kitchen pad from 3M, sold for kitchen use, available at Home Depot and hardware stores. It’s beige, and does not scratch Teflon skillets.
"Goof Off"...Geo
lighter fluid on a soft cloth; rub it gently to remove the residue and the finish won't be harmed in the slightest.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com