doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tomcountry ups store - 08/18/20 12:41 AM
i took a set of lc smith barrels to send out for repair Saturday,woman called me this afternoon told me they couldn't send gun parts.i explained it was just barrels going for repair wasn't changing ownership informed me no couldn't do it.i said well do I get my money back?oh yes
I went to pick them up ups truck was loading packages n I mentioned it to him and he said bs@#$% kinda what I told them to.it even was packed in a box that I received from Briley which was printed in 3" letters and came ups originally!!!!
sounds to me like these stores not only over charge they make up own rules too!!!
tom
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: ups store - 08/18/20 03:03 AM
UPS stores don't accept firearms or firearms parts for shipment.

In order for UPS to ship a firearm or firearm part you must go to a UPS Hub. I shipped 2 handguns from our local hub 10 days ago with no issue at all - the only question the lady at the counter asked was "are they unloaded".
Posted By: craigd Re: ups store - 08/18/20 03:33 AM
I would guess that individuals are letting their opinions clutter the local policy. I am aware of two different very small ups stores that require lawful compliance, but don’t bat an eye if someone brings a gun in to ship. One is just a walk up counter that only has one hour of operation for the public a day.
Posted By: Ol'Forester Re: ups store - 08/18/20 09:59 AM
I was refused shipment of a shotgun for repair a couple of years ago by UPS. I argued with clerk for quite awhile. She called her supervisor, still no dice. I told her they shipped the same gun a few years ago, she said that would have been impossible. She had worked there many years and knew better.

I took it down the road to FedEx.
Posted By: Chantry Re: ups store - 08/18/20 03:33 PM
As stated above you need to go to a UPS Hub to ship a firearm. I would also suggest going to the UPS website and printing off their rules & guidelines for shipping a firearm and bringing it with you when you go to a hub to ship a gun and encounter a clueless clerk and/or supervisor.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: ups store - 08/18/20 03:36 PM
I use the local ups hub which is two miles away from the ups store in a strip shopping center. Wish others had such easy nearby options. PC people love to frustrate the evil gun owners.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: ups store - 08/18/20 03:37 PM
If it's a valuable gun/barrels/stock, and you just want it to get there safely, USPS Registered Mail, fully insured is your only option that makes sense.

If I ship barrels or a stock I insure for the cost of having a replacement made, often more than the value of the entire gun.
Posted By: SamW Re: ups store - 08/18/20 04:00 PM
I agree with Recoil on USPS...have used them for about 40 years. As for UPS there is no hub locally so have had to call UPS for a one-time pickup when customers want me to use UPS.
Posted By: Brian Re: ups store - 08/18/20 04:24 PM
Just tell them sporting equipment when they ask contents. You arent lying. they dont know their own rules.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: ups store - 08/18/20 11:41 PM
I tell them "precision manufactured parts". But, USPS almost never asks.

SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: ups store - 08/18/20 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I tell them "precision manufactured parts". But, USPS almost never asks.

SRH

Stan, there are several post office branches here. I avoid one of them due to the desk Nazi who ALWAYS asks...Geo
Posted By: French Double Re: ups store - 08/19/20 02:12 AM
I got rejected when trying to ship a couple of 10 round boxes of 28 bore Bismuth shot a few years ago. I went home, repacked them then labeled them with the appropriate labels for shipping smokeless powder and they took them with no comments other than "This is what it'll cost to ship" then "thank You. At that time I was very well versed in Hazardous material shipping due to my job requirements. It was perfectly legal.
Posted By: geco Re: ups store - 08/23/20 09:39 PM
Here it the skinny right from the source:
From UPS https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms
How to Ship Firearms or Ammunition

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.
UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com