doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ksauers1 How many Woodward and Sons boxlocks? - 06/24/20 12:38 AM
I know they never made many guns. What about their boxlocks? Did they make them or Birmingham?
Posted By: PALUNC Re: How many Woodward and Sons boxlocks? - 06/24/20 02:50 PM
I shoot with an older gentleman who owns a Woodward boxlock. Not sure when it was made but it is definatly a Webly and Scott action.
I would say the engraving is on par with a WS gun. In other words not all that well done. In fact the gun I am speaking of was once featured in Shooting Sportsman and the article re-counted the restoration on the gun. He (my friend) bought the gun years after the fact.
G&H had a 20 bore Woodward boxlock for sale and there are two on GI at this time.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: How many Woodward and Sons boxlocks? - 06/25/20 07:35 PM
I would guess that any Woodward boxlocks likely weren't made by Woodward--as suggested above. Probably made "in the trade". Maybe finished by Woodward, maybe not.
I suppose like the Holland & Holland boxlocks marked regulated by H&H.
Karl
Marketing.
Trying to create future, more profitable, up line, customers.

But, the market resistance was very strong.

And continues to be.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: How many Woodward and Sons boxlocks? - 06/26/20 09:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
I suppose like the Holland & Holland boxlocks marked regulated by H&H.
Karl

H&H eventually purchased W&C Scott (1985), although that relationship lasted for less than 5 years. But that did permit H&H to put some nice boxlocks on the market, before H&H itself was purchased by Chanel in 1989.
Larry,
I remember the Northwood and Cavalier models, nice but I thought over priced for the name alone.
Karl
Posted By: L. Brown Re: How many Woodward and Sons boxlocks? - 06/29/20 12:27 PM
Karl--They made some improvements over the basic Model 700. But prices did take a jump. Somewhat like what's happened to the Spanish gun trade recently. At which point a lot of people start looking hard at the used market.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com