doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Argo44 Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/15/20 11:34 PM
Son was traveling from Portland Or to Alaska for a 6 month sabbatical to complete a doctoral dissertation dealing with wilderness living, His Tacoma long bed was loaded. Because of conflicting stories about the border he left the Marine Magnum 870 at home, planning to return and fly back with it later.

The border crossing between Washington State and BC was deserted. The Canadian immigration gave him a hard time. When they asked if he owned a gun, they went crazy (even though they were at home) and tore the truck apart. They then asked if he had marijuana (it's legal in Wash state and BC)...of course he didn't. They finally let him across but gave him 4 days to get out of Canada...but didn't return his passport...he had to drive back 40 miles to get it.

The small Indian inhabited villages along the very sparsely populated route 37 Cassiar Highway were barricaded - foreigners could get gas - that was it. When he got to the BC/Yukon border a Yukon checkpoint was set -up...they were worse...they have him 20 hours to get from Whitehorse across the Yukon/Alaska border - he drove 16 hours straight to make it.

Crap treatment of a good guy with all the papers in order, letters from the university, etc. Be warned. These are strange times. He speaks native French and commented that when he crosses the Quebec frontier, the language is a Laissez-Passez. - not in BC.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/15/20 11:57 PM
Tell him we are proud of him smile

Also he has expanded his horizons on governmental grip.

Yes, Strange times

Mike
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 12:21 AM
We have a friend that regularly crosses the border for work and family. He had been unable to cross for about two months, but got through on a recent weekend using some extenuating circumstance excuse. I don't think there's any reason to discuss firearms, once you show a DL, they probably know all arms that're registered to a person. Just say no when asked if there're any guns, the more elaborating without asking, the more interested the border folks become.

Why not call a few of the area FFL dealers and see if they'll accept from a private party. Except for the cost of mailing, they'd probably transfer the 870 to your boy for twenty bucks?
Is there a ferry?

I’m not interested in Canada. That wasn’t always the case.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 12:48 AM
Spent the extra $15 to get an enhanced license just in case I wanted to visit our northern neighbor since I don't have a passport. Beginning to think I wasted the money!
Posted By: LGF Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 01:47 AM
The Alaska ferry system runs from Bellingham, WA, to both Haines and Whittier AK. Not cheap to bring a car, but the trip is fabulous, whereas much of the Alcan highway is pretty dull spruce forest. On the ferry you never leave the US, so no issue with firearms.

Argo, what is he studying in AK?
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 01:51 AM
On a side note, the road and weather conditions heading back south in six months might take a little considering.
Originally Posted By: LGF

Argo, what is he studying in AK?

Originally Posted By: Argo44
...wilderness living.

For a Doctorate degree I figured your conveyance would have legs instead of wheels.
Sounds better than Ted’s tree thing though.

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 02:08 AM
All Alaskan Ferry's are shut down.

He's doing studies on Isolation. Has a cabin in Hope which will be his base as he kayaks, motors, hikes, 4-wheels to remote cabins and farmsteads to interview inhabitants. He commented that Alaskans are pretty suspicious of outsiders but he's been all over the world and hiked the length of the Cascades. Won a national Kayak championship. He'll be ok with them. Really good as a people person.

By the way, a few years ago, I was on a plane to Seattle for his marriage and sat next to a huge old guy with a poodle. Thought he was a - you know what - till I saw the Master Blaster wings on his forearm. The subsequent story - daughter in Alaska who owns a couple of lodges on the Iditarod trail - is pretty amazing and can be read here - 504th Parachute Infantry - jumped into Sicily at the age of 15...Inchon and Frozen Chosen in Korea...White-Star in Laos...CSM of 5th Special Forces Group in Vietnam...
https://specialforces78.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/1215-Sentinel-News.pdf
Posted By: keith Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 05:56 AM
You can vote for the anti-gun Liberal Left Democrat Joe Biden and a few more Democrat Senators, and get the same treatment without ever leaving the USA.

On a related note... You won't ever see any Democrat nominees to the Supreme Court criticising their fellow Justices for failing to protect the 2nd Amendment. They are the ones who vote to restrict the Constitutional gun rights of law abiding citizens.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/thomas-...econd-amendment

But libtard fools like rocky mtn bill continue to support anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats. You can't fix stupid.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 11:45 AM

He's doing studies on Isolation. Has a cabin in Hope which will be his base as he kayaks, motors, hikes, 4-wheels to remote cabins and farmsteads to interview inhabitants. He commented that Alaskans are pretty suspicious of outsiders but he's been all over the world and hiked the length of the Cascades. Won a national Kayak championship. He'll be ok with them. Really good as a people person.

By the way, a few years ago, I was on a plane to Seattle for his marriage and sat next to a huge old guy with a poodle. Thought he was a - you know what - till I saw the Master Blaster wings on his forearm. The subsequent story - daughter in Alaska who owns a couple of lodges on the Iditarod trail - is pretty amazing and can be read here - 504th Parachute Infantry - jumped into Sicily at the age of 15...Inchon and Frozen Chosen in Korea...White-Star in Laos...CSM of 5th Special Forces Group in Vietnam...
Stereotyping a human being based upon what type of house dog they own/prefer is neanderthalic behavior, akin to racism, and just silly in my opinion. All dogs have personality and varying degrees of intelligence, some shed, some don’t, some are hypoallergenic. There’s a plethora of reasons for choosing a certain breed, and bottom line is, homosexuality as a reason being very low on the list imho. . Here’s another stereotype....Because a guy shoots a Browning instead of a Krieghoff for clays, he must be a crap shot too. Sorry, it’s all just wrong.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 11:56 AM
Originally Posted By: buzz

Stereotyping a human being based upon what type of house dog they own/prefer is neanderthalic behavior, akin to racism, and just silly in my opinion. All dogs have personality and varying degrees of intelligence, some shed, some don’t, some are hypoallergenic. There’s a plethora of reasons for choosing a certain breed, and bottom line is, homosexuality as a reason being very low on the list imho. . Here’s another stereotype....Because a guy shoots a Browning instead of a Krieghoff for clays, he must be a crap shot too. Sorry, it’s all just wrong.

Completely agree Buzz.

As well, I have had some horrendous experiences with US Customs officials crossing into the US. And some great ones. People and institutions have behaved like idiots all over the world as a result of the media/governmental panic regarding Covid19. One very common trait among Americans is the odd belief that they will be treated exactly the same in every country as they will in their home country. How do you like that generalization? LOL

I'll remind you of this, Gene:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/maga...st-destination/
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 12:54 PM
The few time I've driven across the border, the Canadian guards seemed nicer, smiled a bit more. Current stories are that the Canadians are somewaht more covid exclusionary than driving back into the US. He may be, but if someone isn't the registered owner of a vehicle, that might slow things down.

I wouldn't wave it around, but folks settled out of town just might perceive it as normal, rather than outsider, to see a shotgun mixed in the gear of a wilderness visitor. I'd bet the kid will see used gun racks at gas stops and such. Given the scenario, he might feel a good bit more at ease picking up something sooner rather than waiting for later.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 01:12 PM
I am sorry for your Son's experience at the border. These are troubling times, but that's no excuse for heavy handed behaviour.
It happens the other way, as my Wife's experience as a J scholar travelling back to the US demonstrated on several occasions.
There is an old adage about "give them a little power" - some people get into over the top behaviour.
Some random guy paid for my coffee and donut in Windsor once. He must have assumed I was gay because I’m usually dressed fairly decently, good haircut and nice shoes. I figured he was qwar because what guy buys another guy’s coffee and donut. Just gave what it would have cost to the young lady working the register. She was really pretty and nice.
My dog, Spino, (Dachshund) died last fall. It seems well known that people that have Dachshunds are weird and like hockey and golf. I like German Shepherds too.

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 02:19 PM
I hate reading these poor reports of Canada. Argo, your son might consider getting a Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licence. I have had one for years and always find gun entry a breeze. They seem so HAPPY when they see you have one of their documents.

I'm still planning my annual trip to Sask this Fall. I have not bought my ticket yet though for fear of a return of the plague and attendant lockdowns...Geo
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Some random guy paid for my coffee and donut in Windsor once. He must have assumed I was gay because I’m usually dressed fairly decently, good haircut and nice shoes. I figured he was qwar because what guy buys another guy’s coffee and donut. Just gave what it would have cost to the young lady working the register. She was really pretty and nice.
My dog, Spino, (Dachshund) died last fall. It seems well known that people that have Dachshunds are weird and like hockey and golf. I like German Shepherds too.

More than enough reason to stay out of Windsor.

I want to hunt the Northwest Angle, in Minnesota, but, unless a guy boats in, I’m thinking you will be dealing with Canadian Customs people. To hell with that, I can get plenty of grief right here at home, or, just grouse hunt on the Minnesota side.

Sorry about your dog, Lonny. Hey, I’m thinking the effeminate guys take one look at me on the 1960s news paper boys bike, wearing surplus camo shorts, flip flops, Carhartt T, with an English Setter pulling for all she is worth, and they assume by the Albert Einstein hair that I am as nuts as the dog is. I’m good buying my own donuts.

Hope you find another pooch, have you looked into a bird dog of some sort?

Best,
Ted

Posted By: eightbore Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 03:15 PM
Ted, can we see a picture of you in that getup?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 03:39 PM
I had our trip all booked for leaving the Spokane area on 3 May to take the ferry from Homer to Kodiak on 13 May. The first cancellation to roll in was the hotel in Whitehorse. Then the Alaska State Ferry. The idiot Alaska governor has been anti ferry system anyway. Guess he didn't get enough votes from areas served by the Alaska Marine Highway System. There already was a very reduced number of sailings available between Homer and Kodiak from previous years.

https://coronavirus-response-alaska-dhss.hub.arcgis.com/
Originally Posted By: eightbore
Ted, can we see a picture of you in that getup?

The dog is likely embarrassed enough. A photo might push her over the edge.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: SamW Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 03:46 PM
I drove up the Alcan in '71 and back down in '85...has the world ever changed!!
Posted By: pmag Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: keith
You can vote for the anti-gun Liberal Left Democrat Joe Biden and a few more Democrat Senators, and get the same treatment without ever leaving the USA.

On a related note... You won't ever see any Democrat nominees to the Supreme Court criticising their fellow Justices for failing to protect the 2nd Amendment. They are the ones who vote to restrict the Constitutional gun rights of law abiding citizens.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/thomas-...econd-amendment

But libtard fools like rocky mtn bill continue to support anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats. You can't fix stupid.

Oh shut up.
Posted By: Tamid Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 05:51 PM
Geo. Note that the Sask govt has closed all outfitters down. No idea when and if they’ll open it in time for the season. On the other hand Alberta remains open. Contact me if you’d like more info
Posted By: Tamid Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 05:54 PM

I’ve owned dachshunds and labs all my life. No one laughs after they’ve hunted with one of my dachshunds Am I weird? Don’t ask my friends!

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 06:00 PM
I'd like to explain my post a bit further - it was a heads up to those traveling through BC and carrying their guns. It was not meant to be an attack on Canada - just a warning about the system as it is operating under the threat of the Virus.

I think the crossing from Washington State to BC has been somewhat difficult for years, at least since 1999 when Ahmed Ressam, the space-needle wanna-be bomber, came in from Victoria with the bombs. When the Milan mosque that supported the Bosnian Jihadist battalion was rolled up in 1994, a lot of the radicals moved from Italy to Vancouver - which by 1996 was called "Milan West." After 1999 the US side tightened - Canadians responded. This mutual occasional tit-for-tat has been compounded by the shut-down of the border by the Virus.

Son talked repeatedly to the Canadian immigration service before departing and was told that entry was entirely up to the individual immigration office/officer he would deal with. He absolutely had to be in Alaska by mid-June. The only way to get his gear there was to transit BC and Yukon....no other way to go without the maritime highway. So to be on the safe side, he left the shotgun at home...not wanting to provoke. They got provoked anyway. He was the only person trying to cross the border at that time so maybe they were just bored.

Anyway, everybody he saw on the route up-country was carrying so it wasn't necessarily an anti-gun thing .... just a problem with the immigration service. He made it but the race through Yukon with a fully loaded truck was sort of a cannon-ball run.

As mentioned, he speaks native French and has never had a problem entering Quebec.

In Alaska back in the USSA:
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Tamid
Geo. Note that the Sask govt has closed all outfitters down. No idea when and if they’ll open it in time for the season. On the other hand Alberta remains open. Contact me if you’d like more info

Thanks Mr.Tamid. I freelance, but if you're aware of any particular restrictions on non-resident individuals I'd like to hear about it...Geo
Posted By: Tamid Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 07:00 PM
I do not know if the shutdown affects non-resident aliens who freelance.I haven't read anywhere saying non-resident aliens could not buy a license.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 07:16 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll just wait a bit more to see what shakes out...Geo

Son talked repeatedly to the Canadian immigration service before departing and was told that entry was entirely up to the individual immigration office/officer he would deal with. .

Spelled out, in black and white, for any thinking man to see it, is the reason every non elected government official in western society, should be considered suspect. The claim they are protecting us is remarkably easy to debunk.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/16/20 07:55 PM

That is an amazing story. A whole lot of guys never made the drop into Sicily when the Navy misidentified aircraft carrying our paratroopers and shot a bunch of them down.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 12:46 AM
Larry, that was the second wave, coming in to reinforce the 504th and 505th the next night 12 July 1943. 27 C-47's were shot down, 400 paratroopers killed as Patton and Ridgeway watched in horror. More friendly fire and FUBAR was to come.

SGM Schmidt in our interview was amazing...talking about Korea, the Chosin Reservoir and Task Force Faith..the shattering attack by 10 Chicom divisions, the retreat across the ice and the attack with the Marines south past Koto-Ri, all he would say was, "it wasn't so bad." (Well if that wasn't bad, what's the definition of "bad."). But when he talked about the first day in Sicily ....he choked up.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 02:20 AM
Back in late April 2009, we crossed the border into British Columbia at Cascade at the north end of U.S. 395. Guess our number was up because they completely unloaded our Outback and looked at everything while I walked the dog. Every other time I've crossed that border they have looked at our passports or drivers licenses and the dog's shot record and waved us on. We have always been very well treated in Canada. When I showed up unannounced at their National Library to do some research, they sent a special courier to a remote location to get the materials I wanted, and gave my Wife and I a private room with our own copier, which was much cheaper to use than those at The Library of Congress!!
Posted By: LGF Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 02:30 AM
In 1970 two friends and I drove up the Alcan (days of thick dust before the Canadian section was paved) in a VW bus in which they had built cupboards and stuffed them with a huge amount of bulk food, plus many varieties of herbal teas one of them was fond of. No problems crossing into BC with a shotgun back then, but along the way we heard stories of naive hippies being busted wholesale when crossing back into Alaska with weed. The US border guys took one look at three scruffy longhairs in a VW, rubbed their hands with glee, and told us to sit in their office while they tore the van apart. We quickly heard a shout of triumph when they found the first bag of green leafy stuff, then nothing for a long time. They finally came back into the office, sweaty and pissed off, and told us to leave quickly.

Damn that was fun. They never looked in the right place.
Posted By: dal Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 02:35 AM
I've crossed into the U.S and back for eight years with multiple shotguns and ammunition with out any issues. Both parties were always very cordial and friendly. Be honest and forthcoming at any border, you'll be ok imho.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 02:41 AM
LGF....those were the days....sex, drugs, and rock&roll...though I opted out of option #2. (I too drove a VW Bus from return from VN to graduation - but without a flower on the door...and I was there when Jimmi Hendrix played Star Spangled Banner at midnight on July 4, 1970 at the Atlanta Pop)

There are three routes from America to America through BC and Yukon. Route 37...route 97....and route 1 (Alcan...built by American soldiers at the beginning of WWII)...37 and 97 ultimately join the Alcan. 37 is paved all the way - narrow, isolated, rainy. 97 and 1 have gravel sections - Son in an earlier trip had a truck put a stone through his windshield on 97.

Driving in the Taiga is not fun. From his descriptions, I had a similar claustrophobic-like experience in Afghanistan Farah Province....the distance was vast but somehow closed in...and it was like being in a closet for some reason.

Covid Virus times are not normal...but Canadian gun laws are changing too and from son are bitterly resented in western Canada.
Posted By: keith Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 10:00 AM

Covid Virus times are not normal...but Canadian gun laws are changing too and from son are bitterly resented in western Canada.

Yes, Canadian gun laws are changing, thanks to liberal left politicians. And the changes are not good for gun owners. But libtard gun owners like pmag and rocky mtn bill, who staunchly support the extreme anti-gun Democrats, just don't like it when anyone mentions the facts.

Originally Posted By: pmag

Oh shut up.

Yes, Canadian gun laws are changing, thanks to liberal left politicians. And the changes are not good for gun owners. But libtard gun owners like pmag and rocky mtn bill, who staunchly support the extreme anti-gun Democrats, just don't like it when anyone mentions the facts.

Originally Posted By: pmag

Oh shut up.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-second-amendment-11592350647

Posted By: canvasback Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 05:11 PM
Gene you may not be aware of this. Your son was allowed to cross into Canada in order to transit to Alaska. If not for the Alaskan destination, he would not have been allowed in. Because of Covid, borders between our countries are closed in both directions for all but "essential" travel. That specifically means no vacations....no touristy stuff.

There are numerous reports of Americans showing up in some of our Rocky Mountain tourist spots like Banff, who are there on holiday and who have used the "transit to Alaska" as a loophole to get into the country. These are credible reports and people have been contacted by the authorities and been instructed to get out.

I personally think the border should be re-opened. But it is not. And I suspect, given the timing of your posts and your son's travel, that the less than friendly border officials may have had this dodge on their minds when you son showed up. Regardless of his paperwork.
I see the Organ Grinder is after me again. Having sold his vote in hopes of protecting assault rifles, the OG finds himself in the position of having turned the country over to the rule of ignorance, stupidity, incompetence, non-stop lying, racism, and bigotry. Oh well. At least the armed thugs feel free to intimidate the BLM folks. That's what counts nowadays with the Organ Grinder's crowd.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 07:27 PM
Rocky Mountain Bill, I plan to SPEND my vote this Fall on the second amendment. Top to bottom of the ballot. I don't consider that a sellout of BLM values, or using my vote to advance racism, bigotry, etc. I just consider 2nd Amendment issues to be of more importance to me personally. No accounting for personal political leanings. By all means vote as you wish!..Geo
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
I see the Organ Grinder is after me again. Having sold his vote in hopes of protecting assault rifles, the OG finds himself in the position of having turned the country over to the rule of ignorance, stupidity, incompetence, non-stop lying, racism, and bigotry. Oh well. At least the armed thugs feel free to intimidate the BLM folks. That's what counts nowadays with the Organ Grinder's crowd.

You covered everything except for hypocrisy. If you’d have gotten an AR instead of that offensive military weapon of war, you too could stand guard on the Razor wire border of chaz town. Can you check ID’s, police fellow chazians, there’s your future, eh Bill?
Posted By: Cameron Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 07:32 PM
I travelled up north last week to take Hwy 2 into MT and on the drive up I saw not only commercial vehicles traveling south with AB license plates (allowed) but also what looked to be personal vehicles (4-5) with AB plates on the vehicles. I think I mentioned to my wife that as far as I knew the border wouldn't be open for a while yet and what was the deal with, what looked like personal vehicles traveling through from Alberta? Not that I personally care, but was curious...perhaps they had a good excuse! No BC plates were spotted and they're usually more numerous in the area than AB folks are.

On another note, when I've traveled to SK to goose hunt, going through Canadian customs is generally much more pleasant than coming back to the USA. It seems the agents at the small USA border crossing need to be dickheads to feel they're doing their jobs! Of course, covid-19 wasn't present this past October when I was last in Canada, so It's probably changed a bit.
Geo, How you vote is up to you, of course, but I can't help wondering where you see any threat to the 2nd amendment. President Biden will have his hands so full cleaning up after the Liar-in -Chief that he'll never have time to come for your AR. If having an AR-15 means more to you than dealing with our present crises, so be it, but you'll be in a distinct minority. The Republican Party today is on the wrong side of history. The only principle it stands for is the right of the rich to pursue more wealth at any cost. To get your vote though, the'll throw you the sop of owning an assault rifle. If Trump were somehow elected again, you might need one because the country will have gone to hell.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 07:58 PM
The only time I ever felt 'hassled' in customs was coming BACK from Canada one Fall, during the last Democrat administration. The Customs agent guarding the Minneapolis AP customs exit was a black guy with dreadlocks, a Jamaican accent, and a uniform.

He wanted to see my customs form proving I owned my shotgun before I went hunting. I showed him the dated sales receipt from before my departure as well as my predated Canadian long arm registration, and told him the Customs website advised that the the 4457 form was NOT a requirement as long as written proof of prior ownership was presented.

We argued until I told him to either confiscate my shotgun or let me go because I had a flight to catch. He backed down. It occurred to me that my southern accent might have triggered him. I felt so socially violated!...Geo
Posted By: Cameron Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 08:32 PM
Coming back through the border a few years ago from our SK goose hunt, one of the USA agents asked if our shotguns are registered. I was about to set him straight on gun registration, but one of my hunting partners is a retired judge and he could see I was going to say something and gave me the "don't say anything look." I didn't and the agent passed us on to go inside to declare our birds. His last statement concerning the guns not being registered was "not good, not good at all!" Inside nothing was said, we declared the birds, they did a cursory look at them and told us we were good to go.
Geo, How you vote is up to you, of course, but I can't help wondering where you see any threat to the 2nd amendment. President Biden will have his hands so full cleaning up after the Liar-in -Chief that he'll never have time to come for your AR. If having an AR-15 means more to you than dealing with our present crises, so be it, but you'll be in a distinct minority. The Republican Party today is on the wrong side of history. The only principle it stands for is the right of the rich to pursue more wealth at any cost. To get your vote though, the'll throw you the sop of owning an assault rifle. If Trump were somehow elected again, you might need one because the country will have gone to hell.

Biden has had fifty years to accomplish something, anything, but the only thing I can remember, outside of his schemes to personally enrich himself and his kids, was his signature on the 1994 crime bill, that promised to lock minority felons away forever. The one President Trump just rescinded.

You are as delusional as Biden will be shown to be during the debates with President Trump. The democrats are guilty of elder abuse, locking an old, confused guy up, and somehow hoping he can win the election, if they don’t allow him in public.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 09:09 PM
....To get your vote though, the'll throw you the sop of owning an assault rifle. If Trump were somehow elected again, you might need one because the country will have gone to hell.

I’m sorry bill, allow me to repeat, seeing as how you’re fond of it. chaztown is a dem fabrication of racial segregation, mandatory IDs checks and sports an unregulated police force. They have the requirement that their borders are guarded by males with assault weapons.

Is that what you mean by summer of love, or are you flexing your hypocritic oath?
Ted, for a man who expresses himself as well as you do, you seem woefully gullible. Trump in the debates is a wonder I can't wait to behold. You need to read more and more widely. Craig, write in your native language. I can't figure out your post.
Well then, allow me to express this thought, bill.

I know exactly what Craig said. Exactly.

Further, I’d bet $50 you do too.

Best,
Ted
Ted, I'll email you with my address so you can send a check. I've never understood Craig's posts unless they're about guns. I think he gets upset with me and it makes him incoherent. Here's where things break down: What is chaztown? what does the phrase "dem fabrication of racial segregation" signify? Does he mean to say Democrats have established racial segregation somewhere? Who is the "they"? Who requires male border guards? For what purpose? So what? I didn't mention a summer of love, so how could I mean something by it? Or, you could send cash or a postal money order. Thanks.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 10:31 PM
Bill, that’s why folks can’t claim that they didn’t know fire bombing a building is illegal. Just kidding, they claim it all the time.
All you Trump fans better get your hands on Bolton's book. Or his sister's. Nobody has burned through staff like him. All these folks will have lots to say from the inside scene between now and Nov. If you're a true believer, it's still smooth sailing. Just keep your eyes closed and your brain in neutral.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/17/20 10:50 PM
Bill, at this point, what difference does it make? Hey, you’re pretty close, what’s your favorite Canadian border crossing?
Ted, I'll email you with my address so you can send a check. I've never understood Craig's posts unless they're about guns. I think he gets upset with me and it makes him incoherent. Here's where things break down: What is chaztown? what does the phrase "dem fabrication of racial segregation" signify? Does he mean to say Democrats have established racial segregation somewhere? Who is the "they"? Who requires male border guards? For what purpose? So what? I didn't mention a summer of love, so how could I mean something by it? Or, you could send cash or a postal money order. Thanks.

You are going to pretend you have no knowledge of the 6 block area in Seattle under control by the people who brought the new scorched earth policy to democrat cities?

Really? You are going to pretend that, here? Really?

Best,
Ted
Ted, My TV remote crapped out several days ago, and I've missed some news. So, no, I don't know much about the Seattle situation, but I'll look it up on line. In the meantime, if you have nothing else to do, write Craig's message in your words. It will be perfectly clear. Craig, in the future, maybe you should write Ted instead of posting. Let him translate your ideas into English. Just kidding. Keep it up. The practice may help. PS: Ted, you don't need to send me $50; please mail your check instead to the Democratic Central Committee. Thanks.
Originally Posted By: craigd
...what’s your favorite Canadian border crossing?

Mine’s Windsor. Tried the I’m going to Alaska via Winnipeg scam but they weren’t having it. In all honesty I just wanted a donut and to get my badminton racquet restrung.

Eddie Murphy re-enacting Geo’s incident at Minneapolis customs...

https://youtu.be/kvzIRuIg288

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 12:35 AM
OMG....sorry to have started this crap. I'm sure the coherent, cogent and succinct arguments presented here, filled with logic, protocol, and proper manners, and presented before a philosophic-centric audience will convince people one way or the other.

Anyway, CB thanks for the explanation about the border shutdown. Makes some sense.

Except for the Yukon checkpoint. It's about 750 miles from where route 37 enters the Yukon from BC up to the Alaskan border traveling up the sometimes unpaved Route 1 Alcan highway, near Watson Lake, 270 miles east of Whitehorse. You tell a guy who has already been driving for 8 hours that he has 20 hours to cover 750 miles....you're putting that driver at risk. Sure...I've driven 750 miles in 11 hours...from Washington DC to Florida down I-95 in the middle of the night...he made it driving 16 hours straight. Not safe...but he's young...we all did it back in the days.

No matter - he made it - and now is in bear/moose/fish/kayak/interview Valhalla. He can mail the 870 to himself or carry it back on the plane next time. I've dissuaded him from getting a flotation water-proof gun sleeve to attach to the sea-kayak. Just D-ring it to the Kayak - which is a floatation device already. The gun is entirely nickel plated with a synthetic stock...bought specifically for salt water and bears, previously discussed here:
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=445891
Posted By: canvasback Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 12:39 AM
Gene, the Yukon and NWT have almost been virus free. As a result they have been pretty harsh about letting anyone in. Not just Americans. Frankly I’m a bit surprised they let him in at all. They have kicked out some Canadians who don’t live there.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 12:49 AM
Yes...and turns out Alaska is doing the same thing as Yukon - he has to shelter in the cabin for 14 days - (really a formality). But at least he got up there in time for summer and interview season - that was the big thing. He could have finished his dissertation by using footnotes from published works... He chose to break new ground on the ground. (But I always suspect he also wanted to kayak the sounds and the white-water in the area).

What I did find interesting was the extent of the anti-Ottawa-gun-regulationists out in Western Canada. He said there were some people foaming at the mouth.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 01:04 AM
OMG....sorry to have started this crap. I'm sure the cogent and succinct arguments presented here, filled with logic, protocol, and proper manners, and presented before a philosophic-centric audience will convince people one way or the other....

I don't think you started the crap part, at least not on this one anyway. I'll take some of the blame for this one, but I'm glad you were able to update the adventure. Hope all goes smooth and safe, the fun part will be there.
Posted By: keith Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 02:00 AM
Small wonder that the Organ Grinder's monkey, rocky mtn bill, cannot understand anything craigd posts. The ignorant old fool still hasn't understood that I do not own any AR-15 rifles or rifles built on that platform.

Nevertheless, no anti-gun Liberal Left Democrat, including Altzheimer Joe Biden, has any right to infringe upon the 2nd Amendment Rights of law abiding citizens in any manner. And we know it is simply a lie to try to say that anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats only want to take away AR-15 type rifles. This is what rocky mtn bill, pmag, and other Libtards support and defend, while continually bashing our pro-gun President Donald Trump.

This lying simpleton rocky mtn bill has been clinging to baseless accusations and innuendo since even before Trump took office, and fixed many of the problems that had our country becoming weaker both economically and militarily under previous administrations, especially the Democrats.

First it was Russian Collusion and Trump misdeeds as a Real Estate Investor that was supposed to bring him down. Then it was the Mueller Investigation based upon fraudulent FISA warrants and vindictive abuse of power by people in our FBI and Diplomatic Corp who could not accept the results of the 2016 election. Then our village idiot rocky mtn bill was ecstatic in his hopes for Impeachment based upon lies and nonsense. Now this Libtard is hitching his hopes on Bolton... while still supporting a senile fool who has promised to infringe upon the 2nd Amendment.

But Billy is OK with that, and he is also OK with the Black Lives Matter lawlessness, and chooses to ignore the facts of Constitutional due process and presumption of innocence, in favor of mob rule and violent protest and rioting that targets innocent businesses and taxpayers.

Libtard liars like Billy were carrying on about Trump mishandling the Covid19 crisis, and saying he didn't do enough to slow the spread of the pandemic, yet they say nothing about three very crowded services for the criminal martyr George Floyd, and crowds of protesters, and rioters. The dishonesty and hypocrisy of liberals is astounding.

https://greatgameindia.com/george-floyd-criminal/

craigd, you simply have to start giving it straight to Billy, because this Organ Grinder's monkey rocky mtn bill is far too stupid for subtlety. He then relies upon deflection to steer the conversation away from his blind allegiance to anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats.
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

If I had a year to live over the one I spent on Adak would be a top 5 choice.

https://youtu.be/AxBnEOGWc-8

Sex, drugs (alcohol & nicotine) and Rock & Roll. The Adak way.

(never been to D G)

Posted By: old colonel Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 04:24 AM
Adak was heaven compared to some places in the Aleutians I saw first hand like Amchitka. I often remark that I spent a year in the Aleutians one week.

If I had a year to live over the one I spent on Adak would be a top 5 choice.

https://youtu.be/AxBnEOGWc-8

Sex, drugs (alcohol & nicotine) and Rock & Roll. The Adak way.

(never been to D G)

A jarhead who speaks fondly of Adak?

If you were going to find him anywhere, it would be here. My Dad was there in 1948. So, yes, old school.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: keith Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 07:00 AM
Originally Posted By: old colonel
Adak was heaven compared to some places in the Aleutians I saw first hand like Amchitka. I often remark that I spent a year in the Aleutians one week.

No one cares Gladys Kravitz. This is an Engineering Board...
And a Pashtun genealogy board...

... But I can imagine that a little worm like you would have a difficult time in Aleutian perma-frost. Time for you to cry to Dave again!
Calling George Floyd a criminal allows Keith to accept and excuse his murder. Calling old colonel Gladys Kravitz lets him dismiss anything oc says. This is Trump's method too. Facts, reason, authority, expertise all count for nothing against impulse, prejudice, and unsupported opinion. This is what we've sunk to, here, and all over the country: a third of the population is infected with alternative facts. Whole industries exist today just to brainwash Keith's third that all the rest of us are no damned good. Sadly, it works. Tribalism is powerful,alas.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 12:22 PM
Calling George Floyd a criminal allows Keith to accept and excuse his murder. Calling old colonel Gladys Kravitz lets him dismiss anything oc says. This is Trump's method too. Facts, reason, authority, expertise all count for nothing against impulse, prejudice, and unsupported opinion. This is what we've sunk to, here, and all over the country: a third of the population is infected with alternative facts. Whole industries exist today just to brainwash Keith's third that all the rest of us are no damned good. Sadly, it works. Tribalism is powerful,alas.

Let's suppose what you say is true Bill. What you fail to acknowledge, time and again, is that for every "tribal member" on the right, whose beliefs you oppose and whose methods you decry, there is at least an equal number who use the same strategies and tactics whose viewpoints you support.

While you may have "lost your remote" our news media have been filled for the last two weeks with images and reports of the worst kind of public violence, divorced from the events that galvanized the original protests, all perpetrated by those who support the same policies and politicians you do. Yet the mass protests organized recently by those you oppose...think gun rights in Virginia.....were largely peaceful.

Until you acknowledge the truth of the situation, the reality, you can't win support. There actually is middle ground for discussion but it has to be based on truth. An example - A rational discussion about gun laws and the Second starts acknowledging that many of the vocal anti gun advocates, both lobby groups and politicians, ultimately want NO guns in private hands. This lack of honesty is apparent on just about any subject that is focus of dissent and argument between the two sides.

You take Keith to task for accurately describing an aspect of George Floyd that is less than flattering. You do the same to Trump in your effort to discredit him, no matter what he may be doing. Two peas in a pod.
Sounds like you borrowed a page from the old William Claude Dunkerfield playbook circa 1940 era. Aaaaah Yeeeesss- my little chick-a-dee!!
Posted By: AZMike Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 12:41 PM
The Al-Can Highway went to hell when they paved it! The muddy trail weeded out the Riff-raff don't you think Sam?
Posted By: keith Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 12:49 PM
rocky mtn bill now says I accept and excuse the killing of George Floyd by pointing out the truth about his extensive criminal record. But this idiotic Democrat sock-puppet ignores the fact that I have already pointed out that the Liberal Left and the rioters are subverting the Constitutional rule of law, and the presumption of innocence. The cop has been charged in the killing, but violent lynch mobs are burning and stealing because they have a lame excuse to once again ignore the legal process. However, the victims of these lynch mobs are the innocent taxpayers and owners of businesses who have not hurt anyone. Billy makes up shit about Trump breaking laws and telling lies, but here we see Billy ignoring actual law breaking live on TV, and also telling us the lie that anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats like Alzheimer Joe Biden are only after AR-15 rifles.

Billy acts offended by my pet name for the worm Gladys Kravitz, yet right here in this thread, we see Billy the Organ Grinder's monkey doing his own name calling. This turd is too stupid to see his own dishonest hypocrisy.

We know that the Constitutional rights of law abiding citizens, including the cop charged with murder, means nothing to Billy. And relentlsss Democrat attacks on our Gun Rights means nothing to Billy either. Violent confrontations with the police happen to all races, but such incidents are much more likely to happen to those with an extensive criminal past. Defunding the police forces of this country will only result in increased crime. And when that happens, Libtard idiots like Billy, who are too dumb to connect the dots, will blame Trump.... because you can't fix stupid, and because Liberalism is a mental illness.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 01:08 PM
Calling George Floyd a criminal allows ..... to accept and excuse his murder....

....This is Trump's method too. Facts, reason, authority, expertise all count for nothing against impulse, prejudice, and unsupported opinion. This is what we've sunk to, here, and all over the country: a third of the population is infected with alternative facts. Whole industries exist today just to brainwash Keith's third that all the rest of us are no damned good. Sadly, it works. Tribalism is powerful,alas.

Calling Floyd a criminal, or just having the aptitude to read a 'rap' sheet created by a dem regime?

How about that Rayshad Brooks case, eh Bill. The da sez he was calm and respectful, non violent, right? The da sez Brooks can flee law enforcement, ingore their orders to stop, and with accuracy fire at and just miss the head of a law enforcement officer? How come that very same da said, just earlier this month, that under Georgia law use use a taser is considered deadly force?

Supposedly, since '04 over a thousand people have been killed by tasers, was Brooks using deadly force with deceptive agility and skill? Did Brooks register his taser or is this a matter of slipping through the cracks? Clearly, tasers are more dangerous than ARs, why didn't you get a dnc memo through cnn to start taser ban mantra? If Brooks was being threatened with a crime, why didn't he call law enforcement since no needs to defend themselves?

Oh, I'm sorry are you carrying more hypocritical baggage than just being anti 2nd? Sure Bill, go ahead and rant about the pro murder one third, just keep in mind you aren't the judge in these cases, right?

If he was there in ‘48 he would know.

For those about to Rock, I salute you.

CB, I admire the tone of your response. I'd like to take exception to a couple of your points. I deny that for every racist, bad-tempered, illogical Trumpist there's an equally bigoted liberal. Are there radical liberals? Of course, and on some issues, they're right. I know there's public violence. I do not condone it. Public violence is not a Democratic tactic. Liberals are not looting Walgreens. The Antifa isn't coming to small town Idaho to incite violence. The propaganda mills are busy churning out this crap, and the conservaturd media are spreading it. Gullible conservatives are lapping it up. Civic violence in the US, historically, is predominately a right-wing phenomenon. That's still true today. People looting stores, however, probably have no political orientation at all. They're simply vultures who see a carcass to scavenge. Yes, I take Keith to task because he's a narrow-minded bigot and bully who approves police killing people because they aren't role-models citizens, at least in his view. PS: An honest discussion about gun control would be a good addition to our dialog here. Is it possible? In my personal experience, I've known many people who support some additional restrictions on firearms ownership, but I've never met someone who wants to ban all guns. I know there are some who hold that view. I'm confident they are a very small minority who will never prevail in imposing their will on the rest of us.

You should have been here for the tribalism on display in Minneapolis, bill. Your kind of people, no doubt, burning the place to the ground. You know we went 96 hours without any 911 service, right? The woke leadership slept through most of it. Total third world kind of stuff, right down the street. Big towns with the entrenched, woke leadership you spend so much time praising suffered the most.

Wonder why?

Get your TV remote fixed, and maybe study what happened in Sioux Falls when rioters and looters thought they were going to get started down that path. Excellent, on board leadership shut that down, cold.

That is my tribe, bill.

Sorry, dude, I’ve seen first hand what your tribe expects. Before you make one more peep about how great the left is, maybe you should rent a flat around 40th and Chicago, in Mpls, and use the train to get your groceries for a month. I am positive you wouldn’t live that long if you attempted it. As a direct result of your tribes leadership, if you want to call it that.

I expect the legislature will revisit Castle doctrine, soon. Stand your ground would be good, and the use of deadly force to protect life AND PROPERTY, is the change I’m hoping for.

Can’t happen soon enough.
Best,
Ted

Ted, I know as well as you do where the violence happens. I want to assure you that it doesn't have my support. But I'd like to remind you that high- crime neighborhoods with histories of police misconduct are ghettos where there are few jobs, poor schools, bad water, bad food, and seriously limited opportunities. Poverty breeds criminal behavior. Until we can improve people's chances to make decent lives for themselves, we will perpetuate our crises. Why would anyone live in the area you mention? Neither you nor I would. No one would who had a choice. Everybody has to live somewhere though, and if you're unfortunate enough to have been born there, it's damned hard to escape. A great deal of this country was built by slave labor and looted from native peoples. Many of our social ills today are the consequence of that history.
Posted By: keith Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 04:06 PM
Want to see just how much Black Lives Matter?

Just ask the Libtard rocky mtn bill, or any other Liberal Left Democrat what they think about Donald Trump finally doing something about the 30 million or so illegal immigrants who take employment and government services from the poor blacks who need those jobs the most.

The truth is, Billy and his fellow Libtards would much rather keep the negroes on the Democrat plantation, and have multi-generation dependency on the Welfare State. They would much rather have blacks in a permanent state of feeling like they are victims who are doomed to never advancing as citizens like millions of other poor immigrants who were victimized, exploited, and discriminated against. They don't wish to let out the dirty little secret that blacks who studied and worked hard were able to become cops, lawyers, doctors, brain surgeons, Corporate CEO's, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and anything any motivated white man could do, including become the President.

I'd like to think Billy knows and understands this, but he is a brainless Democrat sock-puppet, incapable of rational thought or being honest... demonstrated once again by his assertion that it isn't Liberals who are rioting, looting, and fomenting a race war.

In fact, Billy is so stupid that he is a gun owner who supports anti-gunners like Joe Biden. That's about as intelligent as hiring a pedophile to babysit children.
Posted By: Hal Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 04:18 PM
We were going to go up and fix the well at our cabin in MB this spring, but no travel allowed for things like that now. Been crossing the border almost annually for 53 years, sometimes twice during hunting season, and never had problems with customs on the Canadian side. Last time up there last October my passport had expired, and the US agent just laughed and let us go through. I think being 82 helped.
I know a lot of poor people who are not, and never would be criminals, bill. You paint with a large brush. I prefer to believe that many who were born in those areas have been told voting democrat will have that gravy train coming to town, and they can all get on board.

Ain’t happening.

Best,
Ted
Yes, I was one of them. I did, however, have the chance to get an education, have a career, and earn a living. As white guys, we had an inside track. If you feel Democratic programs are a gravy train, you must be a lot poorer than I assumed you were. In the worst neighborhoods in Minneapolis and Detroit, there are hundreds of thousands of people who are not criminals. The broad brush is not a blanket condemnation of people living in ghettos; it's just the fact that ghettos breed crime because they force so many people to exist under conditions that don't let them thrive. So much sustained poverty in a country that is nominally Christian is a violation of what we say we stand for.
Posted By: Cameron Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 05:16 PM
"Gullible conservatives are lapping it up. Civic violence in the US, historically, is predominately a right-wing phenomenon."

Hmmm...let's see the IWW i.e. Wobblies of the early 20th century were certainly a violent liberal group. Hmmm....let's see, the SDS (that's Students for a Democratic Society) of the 60's early 70s' was a violent liberal group. Perhaps a lesson in history would clear up some of your perception of "civic violence being a right-wing phenomenon!"

ALF and ELF were/are certainly violent liberal groups and the list goes on....
Ted, If you're willing to look into poverty as a social issue, do some reading of works by Earl Shoriss. Poverty nowadays might not be so onerous if it were widely shared. Incredible wealth along side destitution makes it intolerable for those who have been excluded from the opportunities we take for granted.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 05:32 PM
....where the violence happens. I want to assure you that it doesn't have my support. But I'd like to remind you that high- crime neighborhoods with histories of police misconduct are ghettos where there are few jobs, poor schools, bad water, bad food, and seriously limited opportunities. Poverty breeds criminal behavior. Until we can improve people's chances to make decent lives for themselves, we will perpetuate our crises. Why would anyone live in the area you mention? Neither you nor I would. No one would who had a choice. Everybody has to live somewhere though, and if you're unfortunate enough to have been born there, it's damned hard to escape. A great deal of this country was built by slave labor and looted from native peoples. Many of our social ills today are the consequence of that history.

Well Bill, with a friend like you, the ghetto folks don’t have half a chance, eh? Before the wuhan debacle, your President achieved the lowest black unemployment in US history. Seems if given a chance, most folks prefer to work for a living rather than stand in one of your hand out lines, or is that not ghetto enough for you?

Yes, you condone the criminal behavior. Just because you don’t condone the criminal, does not mean you are not rubber stamping the politicians that you vote for. You know, the idiots who’re force feeding their constituent your kind of hypocrisy?

Haven’t we discussed the ghettos of Montana? They aren’t suffering from bad water, just really good drugs, eh Bill? Imagine having to wait to get high because the no work benny check isn’t due till tomorrow? You built it, can’t you see that they will come?
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 05:39 PM
....If you're willing to look into poverty as a social issue....

....Poverty nowadays might not be so onerous if it were widely shared. Incredible wealth along side destitution makes it intolerable for those who have been excluded from the opportunities we take for granted.

Why can you share the tales of over spending on a rifle due to personal greed for more toys, and lecture others on redistribution? Could it be a form of hypocrisy, or would you share how you can justify that last ‘03 purchase? Five hundredish a month for a modest apartment rental could have housed a needy family for six months? No? Why not?
C raig, you seem to think that politicians cause poverty, at least liberal ones. The old canard that welfare breeds dependency is one cliche that needs to be debunked. Try living on current welfare benefits. People our age lived in the best time, economically. Jobs were plentiful. The middle class was rising. We are the benefactors of that set of circumstances. It's not the situation now, pandemic aside. The massive shift of American wealth to those at the top of the pyramid has stranded millions of workers who don't happen to be hedge fund managers or whiz-techs. To quote one of my favorite conservatives, "it's that giant sucking sound..."
Ted, If you're willing to look into poverty as a social issue, do some reading of works by Earl Shoriss. Poverty nowadays might not be so onerous if it were widely shared. Incredible wealth along side destitution makes it intolerable for those who have been excluded from the opportunities we take for granted.

Your tribe has always claimed it had the answers for the poor. Washington DC has not had a republican mayor since 1910. Pick your favorite US, third world, burning, looted, shithole, bill, it has been under progressive, leftist leadership for at least my entire lifetime.

Your tribe owns it, bill. You never had any answers, you don’t now, It was never anything but promising a gravy train for everybody if you elected them again. You take the focus off your tribes failure by making it about classism, just another form of discrimination, but, one that is OK in your tribe at the moment.

Nothing you parrot has worked. It never will.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Borderbill Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 06:17 PM
Wow! Sounds like California....you know...that bastion of conservative Republican politics.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 06:40 PM
C raig, you seem to think that politicians cause poverty, at least liberal ones. The old canard that welfare breeds dependency is one cliche that needs to be debunked. Try living on current welfare benefits.....

Since I’m not going to try, let’s imagine?

What’s the typical unemployment rate on a typical mt reservation? Do their ballot boxes have a R option, they do run a hundred percent dem dont’t they? Do all of the on rez residents get magic paychecks from the gov? No?

Say a few hundred thousand acres were dumped on my lap, would I trash the cell towers, walk livestock through the free housing and sell parcels to whitey? How about do you think I would sell off mineral and rights water rights off to whitey? Do you think I would be more likely to open booze joints or would it be easier to allow interstate and international drug trafficking? How about the gals, do you think I would smack around the young ones, maybe leave a few dead in roadside ditches?

Nope, I couldn’t live on welfare, but we’ve created some good examples of of folks that’re more that happy to exploit those wages, eh? And, why not they have time on their hands, eh? Oh I’m sorry, did I leave out the scum white folks setting up those little camps in GFs, bozo, Missoula. Great plan Bill, when do you cough up your fair share?
Craig, You're good at recognizing the symptoms, but when it comes to diagnosis, your inclination is to blame the patient for being ill. Of course reservation unemployment is high; there are no economies there. Those few hundred thousand acres are pretty desolate for the most part. Every social problem exists there, just as they do in urban ghettos. Poverty destroys people. Period. No minority in this country pissed away a legacy of prosperity in favor of destitution. People who get trampled on suffer. Where is the mystery in that? As for the homeless, are you saying Democrats make housing unavailable? You need to have fewer opinions about topics you don't have a clue about.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 07:29 PM
Craig, You're good at recognizing the symptoms, but when it comes to diagnosis, your inclination is to blame the patient for being ill. Of course reservation unemployment is high; there are no economies there. Those few hundred thousand acres are pretty desolate for the most part....

Wrong bill. Montana reservation land is some of the most beautiful and fertile in the state, well except for the burned out rusty cars. What you call desolate, a rancher calls perfect. Why would a tribe elder sell a tract to a small rancher on the rez? How come the rancher makes a go of it and the rez kids don’t ask him for work, they break into the sheds and barns and steal chit?

The resources are amazing, the motivation is equally amazing. Hay, grain, cattle, maybe oil, casinos sans intimidation and pilfering, those folks could kick some serious tail if they wanted to.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 07:39 PM
....You need to have fewer opinions about topics you don't have a clue about.

You need to fish around behind the recliner and pick up the remote batteries. The world isn’t all tofu and lattes. I hope you have your .257 Roberts dialed in, the meth head with the snaggly teeth won’t care, I do.
Posted By: SKB Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: craigd
Craig, You're good at recognizing the symptoms, but when it comes to diagnosis, your inclination is to blame the patient for being ill. Of course reservation unemployment is high; there are no economies there. Those few hundred thousand acres are pretty desolate for the most part....

Wrong bill. Montana reservation land is some of the most beautiful and fertile in the state, well except for the burned out rusty cars. What you call desolate, a rancher calls perfect. Why would a tribe elder sell a tract to a small rancher on the rez? How come the rancher makes a go of it and the rez kids don’t ask him for work, they break into the sheds and barns and steal chit?

The resources are amazing, the motivation is equally amazing. Hay, grain, cattle, maybe oil, casinos sans intimidation and pilfering, those folks could kick some serious tail if they wanted to.

You simplify and get a few things wrong Craig, Rez issues are very complicated to say the least.

It has not been legal to sell Rez land to non-indians since 1934. The Rez I spend a ton of time on has been buying back land from non-indians for years.

The allotted nature of much Rez land makes managing it very difficult. Imagine owning a 160 acre section with 37 land owners and running a successful ranch on it.

The check my friend gets is once a year, for grazing rights and it is a tiny amount of money. The shares have been in his family for at least 4 generations, that is not welfare. The tribe does subsidize housing, utilities and more but that is how the tribe works.

I know Rez kids who work on ranches and I know a few Indian ranchers that make more than a go of it.

After 20 years of spending much of my fall on the Rez I have a very different view of it than you do. I like it enough I bought a house a short distance away. There are some damn fine folks up on those reservations and I eagerly await my return.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 09:16 PM
I hear you a hundred and ten percent Steve. But no, my opinion is that you do not paint the entire picture of a fair chunk of Montana reservations. No big deal, in case you hadn’t noticed, Bill doesn’t quite see it the way you do either. Many good folks, I agree, but it’s tough to sugar coat if someone’s willing to see.
Indians? Blame Columbus.

(I wish we could get a hockey/golf/motorcycle/badminton thread
going like one of these political threads)

Posted By: SKB Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 10:02 PM
Indians? Blame Columbus.

Waiting for Columbus LR?

Time to get this thread back on track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnMlwEl71kM
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/18/20 10:16 PM
Here you go LR

Christopher Columbus, possibly from his and Carthusian friar Gaspar Gorricio’s “The Book of Prophecies”, found in America's Providential History by Stephen McDowell
“All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me...There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit, because He comforted me with rays of marvelous illumination from the Holy Scriptures...For the execution of the journey to the Indies, I did not make use of intelligence, mathematics, or maps. It is simply the fulfillment of what Isaiah had prophesied...”

Isaiah 40:22
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in...

That oughta' get this thread locked wink
be a mercy killing if you asked me...
Hi, Drew/SKB

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/ci...tside-city-hall

I guess we’ll just tell the kids that the D.C. in our nation’s capital stands for the comic book company.

Here you go, Lonny:

https://youtu.be/ND4EA0dnAM8

Love to see the bike it goes into.

Best,
Ted

Craig, Yes lots of reservation country is beautiful. Some natives there can make a living. But they just don't have working economies. The Cheyenne have some coal. The Crows have lots of it. It's hard to sell coal nowadays. Rocky Boy has some great mountain terrain and lots of empty prairie. The Salish is much broken up with non-native ownership. The Blackfeet is more intact but a difficult climate. People there can't eat the scenery. It they wanted to sell their rights to much of their sacred ground, they could get a short- term boost from oil development. They refuse to do that. If you want to gain some historical perspective on reservation issues in this part of the country, I suggest you read Sandoz' Cheyenne Autumn, Welch's Winter in the Blood, and Brown's Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. If you only have time for one, let it be Cheyenne Autumn.
Posted By: LGF Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/19/20 01:18 AM
I spent a formative spring and summer in 1975 in the western Aleutians as a technician for the Fish and Wildlife Service. A few days on Adak, the Aleutian Islands Refuge HQ, and then by FWS boat to the Rat Islands at the end of the Chain (we could see Russia from there!). Just me and one other guy on several different islands, 'removing' introduced foxes as part of the endangered Aleutian Goose Recovery effort. That was my introduction to hunting, plus I wrote a nice little paper on snowy owls. That project was an enormous success: after fox removal and goose re-introduction, the once nearly extinct goose is now so abundant that it is an agricultural pest on its wintering grounds on the NW California coast, and there is a late hunting season in an effort to keep them off farmer's fields.

For my fiftieth birthday 23 years later, I took the ferry from Kodiak to Dutch Harbor and back - fabulous trip, and rather more comfortable than the summer of '75. Followed that with a week alone on Hallo Bay on the AK Peninsula to see big bears up close. Damn that was fun.
Posted By: craigd Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/19/20 01:53 AM
Craig, Yes lots of reservation country is beautiful....

....The Blackfeet is more intact but a difficult climate. People there can't eat the scenery....

How about this, let's forget the nonsense and link up for a fall bird hunt. I know a rancher in the area, likely nothing to get excited about for upland birds, but the potholes will definitely have some ducks. Only catch, you have to stay in Browning, I'll stay a town or two over. Maybe, you could pop in to a few of the watering holes after dark and ask for a soy milk in a dirty glass? I promise to get up early enough to swing by your motel to pick up what's left of you , and get you out to a duck pond before legal hunt time. What do you think?
Posted By: keith Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/19/20 03:37 AM
Craig, Yes lots of reservation country is beautiful. Some natives there can make a living. But they just don't have working economies. The Cheyenne have some coal. The Crows have lots of it. It's hard to sell coal nowadays. Rocky Boy has some great mounta Iin terrain and lots of empty prairie. The Salish is much broken up with non-native ownership. The Blackfeet is more intact but a difficult climate. People there can't eat the scenery.

Did everyone read this heart wrenching account of the woes of the dirt-poor Indians... that Billy used to deftly waltz away from the Black Lives Matter lawlessness and bullshit?

Now read this from Billy's Liberal friend Stevie:

Originally Posted By: SKB

It has not been legal to sell Rez land to non-indians since 1934. The Rez I spend a ton of time on has been buying back land from non-indians for years.

So tell me, why are Indians buying back land which is claimed by Billy to be economically worthless, and provides them no opportunity for success? Intelligent real estate investors like our pro-gun President Donald Trump make billions of dollars by buying prime real estate. But they don't become rich and successful by buying desolate and worthless property.

Then tell me why, nearly 60 years after Liberal Left anti-gun Democrat Lyndon Johnson implemented his Great Society- War on Poverty measures... which have spent TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS to eliminate poverty... why haven't these Democrats fulfilled their promises to the poor and downtrodden?

Then tell me how a brainless idiot like rocky mtn bill can believe that Democrats will do any better in the next 60 years???... other than the fact that Billy is simply too stupid to see through their lies and bullshit. What else would we expect from a gun owner who supports anti-gunners like Joe Biden?

Billy pretends to be caring and compassionate to the poor. But craigd nailed him on that lie too. A truly compassionate guy would not be preaching about the need to spend other people's money, while buying expensive custom rifles for himself. But you will not see Billy selling his guns and donating the proceeds to the United Negro College Fund, or helping poor Injuns either. We needed a new anti-gun Liberal fraud to fill King's shoes, and our search is over!
Posted By: SKB Re: Crossing Canada - a cautionary tale - 06/19/20 08:44 AM
Craig, Yes lots of reservation country is beautiful. Some natives there can make a living. But they just don't have working economies. The Cheyenne have some coal. The Crows have lots of it. It's hard to sell coal nowadays. Rocky Boy has some great mounta Iin terrain and lots of empty prairie. The Salish is much broken up with non-native ownership. The Blackfeet is more intact but a difficult climate. People there can't eat the scenery.

Did everyone read this heart wrenching account of the woes of the dirt-poor Indians... that Billy used to deftly waltz away from the Black Lives Matter lawlessness and bullshit?

Now read this from Billy's Liberal friend Stevie:

Originally Posted By: SKB

So tell me, why are Indians buying back land which is claimed by Billy to be economically worthless, and provides them no opportunity for success? Intelligent real estate investors like our pro-gun President Donald Trump make billions of dollars by buying prime real estate. But they don't become rich and successful by buying desolate and worthless property.

Location, location, location. Not all reservation land is equal. The area I hunt has wonderful agricultural land, the reservation that borders it does not. The two reservation are vastly different as far as poverty goes, one having much better resources to tap than the other.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com