doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Grouser47 hudsons Bay Company - 06/09/20 06:59 PM
Looking for info on a HBC 20GA SxS. Here's what I know:Stamped on side plates Hudsons Bay Company "Made in England. Stamped on barrels "Imperial No.3, 2.5 inch chambers ,30 inch barrels proofed for 7/8 loads. Dolls head rib extension.the condition is very good -- retains most of its blue --wood is also in nice condition -shows little ware.
I don't know much about proof marks but I think made around 1925?
I'll attempt to add a picture of the proofs. I inherited it and may not want to keep. Any info on this and value would be appreciated.

Posted By: RARiddell Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/09/20 07:20 PM
JP Clabrough & Johnstone.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/09/20 07:22 PM
Possibly your local library could request "Trade Guns of the Hudson Bay Company 1670-1970" by S. James Gooding

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=401420
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/09/20 07:35 PM
Chamber size appears so it is 1925 or later. A Birmingham date code appears at the top of barrel on the left, but I can't enlarge it enough to read it. Those things are hard enough to read with the barrel before you so reading it from a photo is tough...Geo
Posted By: Imperdix Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/09/20 07:53 PM
A nice thing to find.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/09/20 09:27 PM
A late but typical Birmingham hammer gun, with way more case colour remaining,than usually found.
There is more value in the Hudson's Bay connection to collectors than the value of the gun.
Posted By: Researcher Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/10/20 01:16 AM
This is the important product of the Hudson Bay Company --

and I sure miss it every winter.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/10/20 02:29 AM
I was always told that HBC meant "here before Christ".
Posted By: canvasback Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/10/20 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
This is the important product of the Hudson Bay Company --

and I sure miss it every winter.

I’ve had some of that. And also their scotch!
Posted By: Imperdix Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/10/20 05:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
A late but typical Birmingham hammer gun, with way more case colour remaining,than usually found.
There is more value in the Hudson's Bay connection to collectors than the value of the gun.

Agree ,a good example of a large volume product but a nice find!
Note colour hardened hammers and triggers!!!!! Not blacked.
Posted By: Tamid Re: hudsons Bay Company - 06/11/20 01:06 AM
I don't think JP Clabrough and Johnstone were in business in 1925. The Hudson Bay Company by 1925 was in a great state of glorious decline as a major colonial trading company. There were many retail stores in Canada and I expect it was sold as a step up from a trade gun but has little to do with the Company's past history. None-the-less it appears to be a nice gun in a good state.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com