doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/09/20 05:11 PM
What is the going rate for a serviceable 20 these days?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/09/20 06:27 PM
I rarely see any for less than a grand unless they are trash. With 28” barrels, in decent condition, they start at 1,400-1.600 around here. 26” bring a couple hundred less. Dealers seem to be happy to ask for 2,000 and let them sit on the gun rack for six months to a year. Private sale might be less, much less but unless you are there when it happens you never hear about it in time to find a bargain.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/09/20 06:48 PM
$1400-1600 for an extractor gun, hundreds more for an ejector gun, good to better condition. More for high condition.

SRH
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/09/20 07:44 PM
Thanks Stan. Last thing I expected to run across in nowhere North Carolina. Outside of big gun-shows, I've never encountered such a petite little AH gun anywhere before. This ones a plain Jane (with a poorly fitted "classic" Whiteline pad to boot). Extractors and 28 tubes, probably 13 1/2 LOP w/the shallow PG. No obvious issues, but I didn't dig too-deeply (didn't even think to figure out the tubes, but with the petite frame size and overall weight I'd bet #3 or 4). It's been a long time since I've seen an American gun that gave me cause to pause......they're asking $1,300. They used to be a lot more.
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/09/20 11:19 PM
Were you in Wagram? There's a shop there with a great selection in classic "nowhere" NC.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 02:37 AM
No, we're staying in Littleton, which is way up north, almost in Virginia. I looked up Wagram (I'd never heard of it before). Is that where Mid-South is located?
Posted By: King Brown Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 03:07 AM
Elsie 20g 28" 1915 field grade similar range, Stan?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 10:29 AM
Probably less valued in today's market than the Sterly, King, IMO. Still nice handling bird guns, though. So many people have "discovered" the charm of the 16 and 20 ga. Foxes, myself included, that the market now reflects that. Lloyd's comment is a perfect example of "discovering that charm".

I sold a perfectly good Ithaca SKB 200E 20 ga. to a good friend last fall. When I delivered it to him, expecting to return with his check in my pocket, I instead drove back with a 20 Sterly Ejector in the back seat, and left a check with him!

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 11:10 AM
I had and sold two 16 gauge Sterlys. Great guns...I just got offers I couldn’t refuse. I will definitely buy another at some point. Haven’t picked up an American gun I like better than a small bore Fox.
Posted By: ed good Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 11:23 AM
all gauge foxes are wonderful guns...

someone like csmc should offer field grade fox guns in small gauges, like 28 and 410...

what would you pay for one?

$4000?
Posted By: ed good Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 11:27 AM
and then there is this beauty...

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101456752
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 12:26 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
I had and sold two 16 gauge Sterlys. Great guns...I just got offers I couldn’t refuse. I will definitely buy another at some point. Haven’t picked up an American gun I like better than a small bore Fox.

I completely agree, James. I have a 30" barreled 16 ga. AE that is currently with Dewey to have an issue resolved. I've shot a lot of guns at doves in the last 60 years. But, I shoot it better on a dove field than any other double I've ever owned. Maybe better than the 1100 Rem that I was given on my 16th b'day. I sure hope it's back home by sometime in September. I'll begin the dove season with .410s, but I sure hope that Fox is "waiting in the wings" after that.

Best, SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good

Nice gun but to a hunter like me, not worth the $6500 USD ssking price. Plus I've never been a fan of the second generation engraving.

They are good guns, no doubt. But for half that money I can buy a damn nice Lindner Featherweight that will be just as nice to carry and shoot (likely) and a damn sight better made. In fact, I have! laugh
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 01:45 PM

someone like csmc should offer field grade fox guns in small gauges, like 28 and 410...

$4000?

I would if I could order a pair. One in 3” M&F with 30” barrels and the second one with 32” with IM and Full.
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
No, we're staying in Littleton, which is way up north, almost in Virginia. I looked up Wagram (I'd never heard of it before). Is that where Mid-South is located?

Yes, Mid-South is in Wagram. Amazing that a shop like that is in such a "town". I think Phillip Futrell is or was the owner.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 02:25 PM
Wagram may be worth a road-trip then. I've dealt with Mid-South for years but never knew where they were.

McIntosh always liked the Fox guns and I can see why. Now that the prices on them aren't so stratospheric perhaps I'll get to play with one too(?). There's one on Guns International now for only $895 because some idiot drilled holes in the rib, otherwise it looks much like the one I saw yesterday.
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 04:03 PM
It's about 2 1/2 hours from Littleton to Wagram. It might be worth the trip if you have some time to kill.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon

$4000?

I would if I could order a pair. One in 3” M&F with 30” barrels and the second one with 32” with IM and Full.

Interesting choices. Why such similar barrels? How would you use them?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 05:00 PM
I like long barrel small bore guns. One would be used for mid season dove and early teal. The other for late season dove and ducks with Bismuth shot. Heck I want 20’s but would also have an interest is 28&.410 with the same barrels and chokes. I’m nit getting younger and know not only that I can’t take it with me but now seem as interested in passing on my doubles to my sons who also love them. Better six perfect dream guns than a ten acre patch of land just like a million others.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 06:34 PM
Sounds like you have a plan. Personally, I'd opt for greater differences between barrel sets if I had multiples for any one gun. for an IC/M or more open to go with my mostly M/F guns for pheasants, and shorter barrels on everything. I've tired of the current fad of 30 and 32" barrels, esp. the latter.

A bit of diversity goes a long ways in keeping the gun market vibrant.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 09:20 PM
I have 26”&28” guns in other chokes. What you can’t find easily are 30&32” small bores. If they made a Philly 20,28&.410 with long barrels id be buying. Not as a FE gun like they make now but as honest Sterlingworth to shoot and enjoy.
Posted By: tut Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 09:30 PM
3 years ago I went to an auction at a Fairground. picked up a 20 gauge Savage Sterly with 26 inch barrels with silver receiver and 95% barrel blueing with a wood chip missing at the head of the stock for 475 dollars. Stock fix by Dan Rossiter for short money. best thing besides the price was DAH of 2.5 inches and factory 2 3/4" chambers. First time I took it out, 3 Woodcock with 4 shells. one of the better bargains in my life.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I like long barrel small bore guns. One would be used for mid season dove and early teal. The other for late season dove and ducks with Bismuth shot. Heck I want 20’s but would also have an interest is 28&.410 with the same barrels and chokes. I’m nit getting younger and know not only that I can’t take it with me but now seem as interested in passing on my doubles to my sons who also love them. Better six perfect dream guns than a ten acre patch of land just like a million others.

I wish I had the machinist skills to replace the tubes on a set of 20 ga. Fox barrels with 28 ga. properly struck tubes, and regulate them. If you could do the work yourself you could have a unique Fox for many thousands less than a CSMC Fox.

Costs nothing to dream

SRH
Posted By: Gr8day Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 10:46 PM
I have a 20g CE straight grip that left the factory with 30” tubes. Unfortunately it sits in my safe with 28” barrels. Still a nice gun though.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Gr8day
I have a 20g CE straight grip that left the factory with 30” tubes.

That would be a sweetie.

Can you tell if the 28" current barrels have been cut from an original 30"?

SRH
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Schiller

Yes, Mid-South is in Wagram. Amazing that a shop like that is in such a "town". I think Phillip Futrell is or was the owner.

A couple years ago, working on a project in Charlotte, I took a day trip down to Wagram just to look. Worth it.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/10/20 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Gr8day
I have a 20g CE straight grip that left the factory with 30” tubes.

That would be a sweetie.

Can you tell if the 28" current barrels have been cut from an original 30"?

SRH

Definitely cut. I got it on the cheap because of that.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/11/20 01:57 AM
Thanks.

SRH
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/11/20 06:48 PM
Mid-South Guns was a 3-hour drive for me and....it was worth it. Lots of doubles, heck...lots of everything. Huge numbers of American doubles, whole walls of Elsies and Parkers.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/11/20 07:01 PM
i have a 30 inch sterly 20 and years ago bought a factory 3 inch chambered 32 inch CE 20 from Midsouth. Bobby
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/11/20 10:55 PM
Mid-South Guns was a 3-hour drive for me and....it was worth it. Lots of doubles, heck...lots of everything. Huge numbers of American doubles, whole walls of Elsies and Parkers.

Lloyd, glad you could get down to Wagram. Sort of a surprise to find something like that in the middle of nowhere, eh?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 20 Philly Sterlingworth. - 06/12/20 02:36 PM
No question. However, American made doubles were mass-produced in significant numbers and have to be somewhere. Now at least I know where the millenial (& later) kids sold granddad's guns in the southeast. I've never seen so many "old school" guns assembled in one place before like that. Dozens of model 42s, lever guns, pump guns, etc. alongside British and some European stuff as well. Even a few Purdey hammerguns. Quite the fun mix.

The "Wall of Elsies"
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com