doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GLS 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 04:34 PM
Here’s a 2” 12 ga. I bought from a member earlier this spring. I just got it back from Dan Morgan who added to the LOP with a leather covered pad, did a strip and clean and made a screw for the trigger guard tang. The screw had rusted beyond repair and was proud to the surrounding metal work. He did a great job. There is no identification of a known maker, although it is believed the action and barrels were made by Skimmin and Wood. What is unusual is that the rib is half round. Where the rib tapers to the breech, “J.W. Lewis” is engraved. I haven’t been able to verify an English maker by that name. Perhaps it was the gun owner. Other than the barrel flats and importer’s name, there is no other writing on the gun. The barrels are 28”. The weight with added pad is 5 lbs, 8 oz. Any ideas as to who the finishing gunmaker was? Gil

Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 05:06 PM
Gil,
That's a really nice job on the pad, outstanding I'd say!
Karl
Posted By: Buzz Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 06:06 PM
Gil; I’d venture to say that if Dan Morgan doesn’t know who made your 2” gun, then finding out who did make it will be a very tough nut to crack. Did Dan think it likely to be a guild gun? Pretty gun, and like Karl said...nice leather pad.
Posted By: GLS Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 06:18 PM
Thanks, Buzz , Karl. No, Dan didn't say. However he did say that he has handled and seen thousands of doubles, but this is the first rounded rib he'd seen. Gil
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 06:37 PM
First rounded top rib I've ever seen as well...Geo
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 06:39 PM
Really neat!
Posted By: LeFusil Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 07:07 PM
It’s what looks like a copy of Greeners “watershed” rib.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 07:25 PM
Gil,

Is it a little distracting to look down the rib? The pictures make it look like you'd be looking down a third barrel. Skimin and Wood made quite a few 2" guns. Arthur Howell & Co. also made 2" guns. Enjoy a nice light 12!

Ken
Posted By: GLS Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 07:51 PM
KD, the first photo's perspective is deceptive and my use of the word "taper" may have been a poor choice. Here's a photo showing that the "taper" is actually a flat surface running the same plane as the top of the action. The rib dips below the area on which appears the name "J.W. Lewis" and rises to the bead. Shouldered the rib is below the barrels and action and not seen. In the "swamped rib" thread there was discussion of a concave rib. I suppose the flip side of a concave rib would be a convex rib. Dickson made 2" 12's as well. Gil
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 09:38 PM
I want to see that one, Gil. What load are you thinking?

7/8 oz. at about 1125?

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 10:33 PM
7/8 oz, don't know if the recipe will go that fast, but I'll shoot it out of my 870 and chrono it. Gil
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/05/20 10:49 PM
a convex swamped top rib....something new added to the lexicon
Posted By: PALUNC Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/06/20 12:32 AM
Dan Morgan is a great guy and a fantastic gunsmith. I purchased my Dickson from him and he was fantastic to deal with and the work he performed on it was top notch.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/06/20 01:22 AM
Nice job, enjoy it. You're lucky to get 28" barrels, I'd say that 9 of 10 vintage English "Two Inch" guns I've seen are 26".
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/06/20 12:16 PM
Very nice indeed, Gil. Now I know why you wanted those once fired 12 gauge paper hulls I sent down your way. Great woodcock, quail and dove guns, those scarce British/European 12 bore doubles. I wonder why the various top rib styles, any advantage in sighting as opposed to the raised file cut ribs found on many American mfg. side-by-sides? RWTF
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/06/20 02:40 PM
Sweet 2-inch Gil, glad you ended up with it.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/06/20 03:01 PM
Neat gun, Gil.
Posted By: GLS Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/06/20 03:20 PM
Francis, if I shoot the gun properly, I'll never see the rib as it should be below my line of sight. Gil
Any chance the rib is not is it's original state anymore? Bbls look reblacked.

Is the rib properly polished all the way around?

It looks rough towards the edges, but perhaps that's grime or just the photo.

OWD
Posted By: SKB Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/06/20 03:46 PM
That is the first rounded shotgun rib I have seen. Here is a rounded rifle rib:

Posted By: battle Re: 2" 12 ga. Finishing gunmaker? - 06/06/20 04:12 PM
I knew it was a gem when I sold it to you. The 28” barrels are scarce on these 2 inches. Enjoy it Gil
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com