doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Nice little surprise! - 04/27/20 11:22 PM
I purchased a trunk case from England and it included a nice little bottle of Rangoon oil!
Posted By: terc Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/27/20 11:42 PM
I love the smell of that stuff.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 12:01 AM
Me, too.

SRH
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 12:23 AM
Hard to beat, especially when you open the case!
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 12:40 AM
was it mostly full of oil?,,,either way , a cool tin
cheers
franc
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 02:04 AM
Yes still oil in it!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 11:15 AM
A friend gave me a new English made three-piece cleaning rod kit many years ago, maybe a Parker Hale. It contained a bottle of that wonderful "cologne" and also a bottle of crystal clear lubricating oil. Very well made kit with heavy brass ferrules and jag.

That's a cool old can.

SRH
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 11:21 AM
Funny how everything British in the states go for premium, over in the UK they can’t give it away. It’s worth the price for shipping, considering what this stuff is charged here.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 01:58 PM
Speaking of "gun cologne". While cleaning my gun after a round of clays several years ago, my wife came into my gun room to tell me that dinner was ready. She leaned over and gave me a kiss on my temple and remarked, "is that a new after shave?". I thought for a moment and just said "yea". She remarked "I like it". I had just started using Clensoil to wipe my gun down with before putting it in the safe, after using other products in the past.
Go figure!
Karl
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
A friend gave me a new English made three-piece cleaning rod kit many years ago, maybe a Parker Hale. It contained a bottle of that wonderful "cologne" and also a bottle of crystal clear lubricating oil. Very well made kit with heavy brass ferrules and jag.

That's a cool old can.

SRH

Stan,
That crystal clear oil could be Sperm Oil. I have several cans and a a very old bottle of WF Nye clear watchmakers oil that I believe to be Sperm Oil.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 08:55 PM
Karl should tell his wife that the great smell was "Sperm Oil".
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 10:32 PM
Eightbore,
I was so surprised by her comment knowing her feelings about gun cleaning smells, I just let it go.
Karl
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/28/20 11:22 PM
I always thought that "Eau de Federal Paper" would sell well...
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/29/20 12:22 AM
That's why I hunt with paper shells, the smell soothes me when I miss a bird.
Karl
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/29/20 02:55 PM
Speaking of odoriferous.....I kind of like the smell of NRA bullet lube when shooting cast bullets through my single shots.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/29/20 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Eightbore,
I was so surprised by her comment knowing her feelings about gun cleaning smells, I just let it go.
Karl

Smart guy....

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Nice little surprise! - 04/30/20 08:55 PM
I have a full bottle that was sold by A&F...pretty much smells like some sperm whale oil I have... whale oil is golden in color, may be old.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Nice little surprise! - 05/01/20 12:38 AM
There are essentially two types of Sperm whale oil. That which is used for lubrication of fine machinery, including guns, comes from head cavities & comes out as a liquid. The rest is rendered from the Blubber. This was primarily used as illuminating oil in the days of the sperm oils & is not suitable as a fine lubricant. That Golden colored oil may well be the rendered oil if so do not use it for fine lubrication. The head oil is also known as Cachalot oil which is I believe French for the sperm whale. I have a pre-1900 bottle, empty, made for the Weed Sewing machine company marked Pure Cachalot Oil.

It was said a large sperm whale could contain FM 350-00 gallons of the good stuff, from the head cavities. The lower laity rendered from the blubber was many times this amount.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com