doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sandlapper H. J. Hussey catalog - 04/14/20 09:15 PM
Fellows, Anyone have, seen or know whether Hussey produced a sales catalog in any of their iterations from 1898 on? I’ve never seen one for sale. Any thoughts? Thanks, Sandlapper
Posted By: PALUNC Re: H. J. Hussey catalog - 04/15/20 02:40 PM
Hussey stuff is hard to come by. When I owned mine I spent a lot of time reaching out everywhere I could find for anything Hussey.
No luck.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: H. J. Hussey catalog - 04/15/20 04:56 PM
I have an Ogden Smiths and Hussey, and a Harrison and Hussey. If there is something you'd like me to look up in them, I can.
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey catalog - 04/15/20 05:26 PM
Wow - I've never heard of any kind of Hussey catalog.

Which guns are listed in the Ogden Smith & Hussey catalog? What does it say about them?

Does it talk about Hussey's relationship with Ogden Smith's? Any fishing stuff in that catalog?

Would love to know.

OWD
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey catalog - 04/18/20 09:45 PM
Well?
Posted By: trw999 Re: H. J. Hussey catalog - 04/20/20 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Does it talk about Hussey's relationship with Ogden Smith's? OWD

Henry Hugh Hussey, son of Henry Joseph, came back from his WWI commissioned service with the Royal Flying Corps (where he was involved in experimental aircraft weaponry) in Feb 1919 and immediately took up working with the immaculately turned out Claude Harrison, scion of the Cogswell & Harrison family. He must have gathered his tools and workmen around him rapidly, for the first Harrison & Hussey guns went to the London Proof House in July 1919.

However, Harry, as he was known, did not appear to like working with Claude and he went off to join Ogden Smiths in 1921, having made up some 150 guns. Harrison & Hussey continued making guns after Harry left, still to a very high standard, under the direction of Claude, RH (William) Howe and actioner Bob Pillar, up until Claude's death in 1928 and the acquisition of the business by Grant & Lang in 1930.

Meanwhile, Harry seems to have enjoyed being a part of what had become Ogden Smiths & Hussey Ltd, remaining there up until his early death aged 49 of a brain tumour in July 1929. Harry always turned out guns of the highest standard, continuing to use the Imperial Ejector name first used by his father for his best guns.

Gun numbers were in the 10##, 30##, 40##, 50## and 60## series.In addition to best guns, BLE, U/O, double rifle and single barrel trap guns were turned out, never in large numbers though.

It can be assumed that the Ogden Smiths fishing business carried on alongside the gunmaking, as they were long established beforehand and carried on after Harry's death as Ogden Smiths selling fishing gear until the business closed sometime after WWII, I believe.

Tim
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey catalog - 04/20/20 06:34 PM
Thanks for the info, Tim. I appreciate it.

I've seen some great guns from Ogden Smiths & Hussey, including a fantastic 12g SxS Imperial pigeon gun and a nearly-new 12g, Woodward-style OU.

I've always wondered about the relationship, and for years I've looked for an OS & H catalog.

I've never seen one -- while I have seen countless catalogs of flies and fishing gear from Ogden Smiths.

OWD
Posted By: Imperdix Re: H. J. Hussey catalog - 04/20/20 07:45 PM
Thanks for the O,S & H info ,always wondered what went on as there seem to be relatively few of the guns extant.I`ve only seen two of their o/u personally,both of which were impressive! Always liked H J Hussey`s guns,they have that `something`that only best guns have .
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com