doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sandlapper H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/09/20 05:04 PM
Fellows, Just acquired a cased H. J. Hussey 12 bore that was originally sold thru Boston dealer. Firstly, does anyway lnow what dealer sold Hussey guns in the 1900-1915 era and secondly, does anyone have the original records of this outfit so I might see who the original consignee was? Thanks very much , Sandlapper
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/09/20 05:41 PM
Atkins Grant and Lang might have some records on the gun?
Posted By: PALUNC Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/09/20 07:32 PM
Congratulation on the Hussey. Hussey sold his own guns. I once owned a Hussey Imperial, made around 1915. I sold it to a friend who later acquired the mate to put the pair back together.
They are wonderful guns and have tried to buy my Hussey back from my friend who will not part with it.
As far as I know records do not exist. In fact it is hard to date these guns.
In the book Atkin Grant & Lang there is a section on Hussey guns.
Cheers!
Posted By: Imperdix Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/09/20 08:15 PM
14*** serial number ? 29" barrels ?
Hussey made a very good gun !
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/10/20 12:05 AM
Thought these might be of interest...I don't know if the deal ever went through....

Posted By: KDGJ Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/10/20 12:46 AM
In 2016, Sportarm was trying to resurrect the Hussey name. According to this paragraph, Hussey, Sportarm has owned the name since 2008. I'm not sure if they have any records.

Ken
Posted By: DLH Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/10/20 03:00 AM
I have a Hussey pair and have emailed Atkin, Grant and Lang as well as Sportarm. AGL returned my inquiry and stated they do not possess the Hussey records. Sportarm by return email stated:

Dear Dale
Thank you for your email, sadly Hussey production records were lost in a fire and so the information is patchy, if you let me know your serial number I will provide what information we have if that helps.

Kindest Regards

Kevin Phillips

Sportarm LTD
www.sportarm.com
+44 (0) 1305 268001

Hope that helps and would certainly like to see photos of your gun. I have enjoyed my guns very much.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/10/20 11:04 AM
I hope we get to see the Hussey.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/10/20 08:50 PM
Fellows, When it comes in, I’ll post some pics( if I can figure how). Gun is 28” SPG, 6’14”, double Purdey underbolt , nitro proofed for 2.5” cases and still appears to be in proof, cased in Hussey O& L with all original accessories and has GP on initial plate and also GP Boston on exterior of case. I sure would like to know the history as it came to the dealer from the original family and had been used heavily. Thanks for all of your information. Sandlapper
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/10/20 09:03 PM
In addition to the above typewritten letters I had 4 handwritten sheets from Hussey to A&F, they been posted here before...

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=151493&page=1

They are now in the A&F/G&H archives.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/11/20 10:19 PM
While we are on the subject of H. J. Hussey guns, does anyone have any knowledge about who engraved most of them because all of them I have seen have had beautifully executed scrollwork?
Posted By: Buzz Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/12/20 12:58 PM
I used to have a Hussey Imperial. It was a very nice gun. Had super excellent triggers. All of them are dove tail lump barrel construction as opposed to chopperlump. I likely saw the ad for this particular gun with the photos on G.I. The really remarkable thing is it is cased with all the original accessories. That’s really awesome. They mentioned the gun may be a little loose, which means off face. If so, I would recommend Ken Eversull from LA to take a look at the gun. He has a laser welder to weld up the hook. Real slick.
Posted By: bushveld Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/12/20 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: sandlapper
Fellows, Just acquired a cased H. J. Hussey 12 bore that was originally sold thru Boston dealer. Firstly, does anyway lnow what dealer sold Hussey guns in the 1900-1915 era and secondly, does anyone have the original records of this outfit so I might see who the original consignee was? Thanks very much , Sandlapper

Sir;

I have sent you an email just now via the email address you have in your personal profile.

Stephen
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/20/20 05:13 PM
Can someone tell me how to post photos from an iphone or can you even do that?
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/20/20 05:21 PM
A fellow named John at a doublegun site in England was kind enough to tell me that # 14391 was made between 1898 & 1904 and that the FS initials on the barrels ahead of flats stood for Frank Squires, a barrelmaker on Oxford St. in London who made barrels for Boss among others, so I’m getting a little detail bit by bit.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/21/20 12:14 AM
I have 14394 and was told it was made in in 1907.

HJH2 by FGP1154, on Flickr
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/21/20 10:53 AM
Beautiful gun. Mine needs some stock work, and hopefully will look as goodvas yours does. Sandlapper
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/21/20 06:56 PM

Nope
Posted By: old colonel Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/21/20 07:05 PM

You cannot post a picture taken with your iPhone directly from your IPhone. You will need to use an online server to host the picture.

So upload the picture from your phone, then from the online server select “copy” which should create an internet shortcut to paste, then paste that shortcut into the insert image button field.

Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/21/20 07:15 PM
Earlier today I passed this thread along to my friend and hunting partner Steve Dalzell as he might be interested in it. Steve hunts with a Hussey Imperial Ejector.

He was, and asked me to pass along his response:

Quote:
Very interesting! You could let them know that I have a true left handed H J Hussey, number 14267, from 1904. It is unusual in being a true left handed gun - left swinging top lever, cast on and left set triggers. It is totally original apart from a new Silver's pad. You might add I could help with the stock work.
I'd do it myself except that for some reason unknown my e-mail has been banned!

Steve is one of the better stockers around, as I think some of the other members here can attest. He's also a great all-around guy and good hunting partner.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/29/20 10:21 PM
It turns out that this gun has 2 5/8” chambers but is marked with 1 1/8 oz. proofs. Kirk Merrington thinks it Is original and non -altered.As 2 5/8” was the standard 12 gauge length in the US until 1929, does anyone know ifthe English makers bored them that way on guns ordered by Americans? Sandlapper
Posted By: PALUNC Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 04/30/20 04:42 PM
My 1928 Boss has 2 5/8" chambers.It was ordered and delivered to a guy in New York city. It is a game gun. Funny thing, previously my friend owned another Boss Pigeon gun owned by the same guy a few serial numbers before mine.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 01:16 AM
I seriously doubt that the 2 5/8" chambers had anything to do with made for America. At least as early as W W Greeners ninth edition of the gun & its development (1910) he stated that the "nominal' 2½" chambered 12 gauge had chambers from 2 9/16" to 2 58" length. I do not know how much earlier this practice was used. I believe that only very early British 12 gage guns will be found with actual 2½" chambers. The European standard of 65 mm s 2.559" or only .0035" shorter than 2 9/16".

Also, 2 5/8 was an American standard, not "THE" American standard as late as 1929. Boh L C Smith & Lefever Arms Co had standardized on the 2 /4" shell in the 12 gauge long before this date, & perhaps others as well.
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 01:29 PM
Go here:

http://dspace.nplg.gov.ge/bitstream/1234/84152/1/James_Purdey_1930.pdf

That's a Purdey catalog from 1930.

Go to 5th page -- POINTS TO CONSIDER WHEN ORDERING A GUN

See 2nd paragraph, first sentence.

I've seen 12g Purdeys with proofmarks for 2 5/8" chambers.

OWD
Posted By: Remington40x Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 01:56 PM
OWD:

Link returns a This Page Cannot Be Found message.

Rem
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 02:31 PM
Sorry. Here's the page.

OWD
Posted By: KDGJ Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 02:40 PM
Greg,

Thanks for the link and it confirms Purdey extended the chamber length in 1930 for the American destined guns. I wonder if Hussey would have done this practice in the early 1900s.

Ken
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 02:43 PM
Yeah - that's the question.

If they had, wouldn't they have proofed them at 2 5/8", too?

I'm not sure.

OWD
Posted By: bushveld Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 03:07 PM
OWD;

You, I am certain will recall that case length was not a mark of proof for the period of time when the Hussey was built.
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 03:27 PM
Nope. Forgot that. You're right, though.

So was the "Diamond with 12-over C in it" used for both?

"Diamond with 12-over CL" was for 2 3/4" (and 3"?), right?

OWD

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 05:24 PM

If you email me your photos, I’ll put them up for you. Pick three to five good ones.

tedjs@usfamily.net

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/01/20 06:44 PM
Guys, Thanks very much for the insights and information; Kirk Merrington was absolutely correct. I just never had seen it printed anywhere. Regards, Sandlapper
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/02/20 04:21 PM
PAULUNC--

Does your Boss have proofmarks on it for 2 5/8" chambers?

Does anyone else have a British gun with proofmarks for 2 5/8" chambers?

Thanks,

OWD
Posted By: Imperdix Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/02/20 05:25 PM
If a 2 3/4" plug guage wouldn`t `go` at proof it would be proofed as 2 1/2" .
Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/02/20 11:19 PM
Interesting.

Thank you.

OWD
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/03/20 01:29 PM
Thanks; check your email
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/03/20 02:08 PM
Some photos:

Nice old gun. Not sure what the big draw of Vaseline was, but, I’ve seen it recommended in old directions for French guns as well.

Don’t use Vaseline.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/03/20 03:26 PM
I could go for a nice sidelock like that,particularly with a pow grip l like it.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/03/20 03:27 PM
I could go for a nice sidelock like that,particularly with a pow grip l like it.
Posted By: SKB Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/03/20 03:44 PM
Lovely engraving as well.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 05/04/20 01:19 AM
12/LC in a diamond is a bit ambiguous. Some sources say it is for chambers of 3 or longer, while others say it for chambers longer the 3".
I believe that uns having 3" chambers are known to exist with either the 12/C or 12/LC mark. Either way, the 2 3/4" chamber is marked with the regular 12/C mark.
Posted By: Hussey Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 11/05/21 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gr8day
I have 14394 and was told it was made in in 1907.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]HJH2 by FGP1154, on Flickr

I have 14397 (which I purchased from Buzz) and 1907 sounds about right. From what I have read, HJ made Imperials from c1905 to c1910.
Posted By: Hussey Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 11/05/21 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by sandlapper

I have tried to locate the Hussey production records for years and have communicated with a fellow who has compiled an extensive database of HJ Hussey guns. He has also searched for production records for years and he believes they are long gone or sitting in a box on a shelf in some dusty old basement lost to time.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 11/05/21 03:04 PM
Sportarm in the UK owns the Hussey name now. They said at one time they were going to start making a gun again. They also were going to start selling some items like clothing and such.
Take a look at their site
Posted By: Hussey Re: H. J. Hussey Imperial - 11/05/21 04:04 PM
As a guy who owns a nice Imperial, I was excited to hear that they were going to take over the Hussey name primarily because it would increase brand awareness and might even drive up the value of the old guns. Looking at the Hussey branded stuff they have now, I can't say that I'm overly impressed but hopefully there is more to come. Unless they have contracted with a company in Spain or Italy to produce a Garbi or Gurlla quality gun they can sell at a mid-market price, I can't see them actually bringing a Hussey labeled gun to the market.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com