doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Argo44 OT: An informal Dictionary of the Cold War - 03/29/20 11:41 PM
A few years ago, horrified by the ignorance of the Milleneals and Gen Y'ers at work, I gradually compiled a dictionary of the Cold War. Given we're sitting at home, and knowing the experience of these contributors, most of whom lived through this era, perhaps you all might like to give it a look. History is language. Welcome suggestions for additions:

Posted By: MikeV Re: OT: An informal Dictionary of the Cold War - 03/30/20 12:07 AM
I for one appreciate your efforts! Good refresher for those of us who lived it.
Hopefully a good reference for those of other generations.
My best,
Mike
Posted By: Hal Re: OT: An informal Dictionary of the Cold War - 03/30/20 12:37 AM
Great idea Mike! Do you mean A and B cover A to D? Was trying to scroll down to Lebanon Invasion of 1958.

And that's about it. If anyone objects to this line, I'll delete it. Welcome additions by this group of experts who likely lived through this era. (I've already compiled an "addendum" list which will be posted later).
Posted By: Hal Re: OT: An informal Dictionary of the Cold War - 03/30/20 03:11 PM
Thanks. Should not be hard to fill in more on Lebanese invasion. We sailed down to Subic Bay from Okinawa and never went further west. I had a 6x6 electronics repair van in our LST. Guy I enlisted with was with air/naval gunfire on a Med cruise and went ashore at Beirut. He said they were met by ice-cream vendors! He had a fun time there, running around in a radio jeep with his buddy, both armed with 1911's and Thompsons. He said one of the buildings they guarded most closely was the brewery. Maybe a better view from there?
Never ask Mr. Argo what time it is...Geo
Fascinating. Thank you for that.
A fantastic effort indeed. But I am more taken aback by the premise for even composing the list.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
You may want to add a blurb about Stepan Banderra. No saint, but his movement was a thorn in the side of the Soviet Union, and had they gained traction, some of the Baltic states may have been independent.

http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/03/10/four-myths-about-stepan-bandera/

Best,
Ted
Also, might consider adding SR-71, specifically mentioning where they overflew Moscow during meetings with heads of communist states, making sure the sonic boom got there in time for the toast.
Viktor Belenko made mention of the fiasco of MIG 25s pursuing same.

Best,
Ted
Ted, interesting on Banderra..This compilation was mostly personal memory and there are a lot of players out there. You're the first to bring back his memory...but then I saw an opera "Muzeppa" by Tchaikovsky....Ukrainian hero who supported Peter the Great in his invasion of Russia 1707...a few years ago. I've tried to put into the "dictionary" the characters who appeared regularly in the Press at the time. So Banderra, while extremely an interesting individual, was not a household word.

Then again given his importance in the post-Cold War conflict going on...there's space for him. Will add.

As for SR-71 - see "Black Bird." The problem with posting this as a PDF is you can't search it. On the other hand you can't hack it.
Banderra was not a household word, here. But, the Soviets threw people who gave bread to “the men from the forest” into the gulag for life for 20 years after they killed Banderra.

Anyone the Soviets feared (and, to be honest, suppressed the memory of) to that level, is a hero.

Best,
Ted
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
A fantastic effort indeed. But I am more taken aback by the premise for even composing the list.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

You aren’t the only one who’s taken aback. These last few Argo44 gems he’s sucking up bandwidth with are the most off topic, ridiculous threads I’ve ever seen here.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com