doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: sxsman1 Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/27/20 03:31 PM
I am not a gunsmith, but I like to work on broken cheap sxs,
Can you please recommend a brand of screwdriver to use?
Pete
Posted By: Stoneke Re: Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/27/20 03:45 PM
A set of Brownell's mag tip screwdrivers will suit you well. The interchangeable tips provide you with a choice to fit most of your needs. You can also custom grind extra tips to your specific needs.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/27/20 03:59 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273490395618
Posted By: ed good Re: Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/27/20 04:29 PM
brownell's, as referenced above...
I use the Wheeler 72 bit set. It has two drivers, a small one and a larger one for more torque. It has double bits for some of the very thin blades. These blades are ground parallel and are not like regular screw driver with a tapered tip. This is why you see many mangled screws because of using that type.

I work on my L.C. Smiths and Hunter Arms box locks and there are manybe 5-6 bits that I use all the time, but it is nice to know that there are other bits in case I need them.

The trouble with the fixed blade screwdrivers is that maybe one will fit your screw/s and the rest are never used. Trying to grind one to fit is very hard to do correctly and get it parallel to the other face.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/27/20 05:04 PM
I have happily used Brownell's drivers for probably three decades; they have a lifetime warranty. There are others patterned after Brownell's, Wheeler comes to mind.

I once bought a set of Grace drivers - as purchased, they fit nothing. All of the tips required custom grinding/fitting. That is not beyond my capability, but with the Brownell set sitting on the shelf, it is definitely beyond my inclination. Too, the Grace steel was soft and easily bent.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/28/20 12:52 AM
Brownells by a wide margin. And also get the set of thin blades. Properly grinding tips is fine but for me it’s difficult to achieve perfectly parallel sides with equal thickness side to side. For grinding I have a diamond wheel that is chucked in my drill press and I can cinch a turn screw into a small milling vice and sliding it on the drill press table I can maintain a perfectly flat head. Still difficult though.

PS: I think one of the main reasons we see screw heads messed up is the slots were not carefully and completely cleaned out before trying to turn them. And a lot of the hundred year old gook in a slot is rock hard. An Exacto blade will clean them up nicely. I usually use a thin piece of brass sheet I’ve cut into a V point to dig it out.

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood

PS: I think one of the main reasons we see screw heads messed up is the slots were not carefully and completely cleaned out before trying to turn them. And a lot of the hundred year old gook in a slot is rock hard. An Exacto blade will clean them up nicely. I usually use a thin piece of brass sheet I’ve cut into a V point to dig it out.

Totally agree with this statement. Some of the screw slot depths are not very deep to start with so if they are half filled with hard crud, it sure doesn't leave much for applying pressure with a turnscrew.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/28/20 07:25 AM
Chapman Mfg Co,used a set for years ,been very good!
I've used a Brownell's set for over thirty years with good results. But, I have never gotten used to that small amount of slop that is in the bit with the magnet holding it in place. Maybe I'm too picky, but I sure would prefer a good handle that held the bit securely, and without any wiggle. At 68 I've got enough "wiggle" of my own. As for the bits, they're good quality.

SRH
"Maybe I'm too picky, but I sure would prefer a good handle that held the bit securely, and without any wiggle. At 68 I've got enough "wiggle" of my own. As for the bits, they're good quality."

SRH [/quote]

My thoughts also on the Magnatip handle. At one time Brownells offered a collet type handle. I have one & it does take all of the "slop" out.

I just looked online & I don't see that Brownells still offers the collet type handle. As a good friend of mine says " if you find something that works for you buy several while you still can".
Posted By: sxsman1 Re: Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/28/20 05:30 PM
Thanks everybody for your replies, I guess I'll get the Brownell set.
Pete
Posted By: craigd Re: Recomend a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - 03/28/20 05:46 PM
That's what I was thinking, it may be luck but if someone has a good handle or two that they like, dedicate it to just that task. I may have one, but I don't think I actually still have a Brownells handle, if I do it's burried. It doesn't seem to matter, it's just a bit holder. I have a c clip handle that takes up slop and I like, but it's an older one that's good, slim profile, but many are bit stickers.

I use mixed import and Brownell sets and misc. bits, and three or four handles. I like all or most of the bits in there own handle when I'm working on something, so there's little swapping bits in and out.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com