doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good odd ball miroku - 03/23/20 06:15 PM
never seen one of these before...have you?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/862258945
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: odd ball miroku - 03/23/20 06:21 PM
I have one. A steep step down from the Miroku Daly model 500...Geo
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: odd ball miroku - 03/23/20 06:43 PM
I believe Mr. Cash owns one of those. Pretty sure he has also reported he has a hard time missing the target when he shoots at it with the gun.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: odd ball miroku - 03/24/20 12:25 AM
Monkey Wards from back in the day. Underappreciated. The vent rib detracts. Some of them have killer wood.
Posted By: Replacement Re: odd ball miroku - 03/24/20 01:07 AM
The seller of that gun is either ignorant or a liar. It is not a copy of the BSS. Came out of the same factory, made (probably) on the same machines, but it is a different gun. Different triggers, different chambers, different barrel weight, different rib, different buttstock, different forend, different frame shape... But otherwise identical.

Larry Brown did a Miroku article in Shooting Sportsman a long time ago that included some discussion of the Monkey Ward Mirokus.
Posted By: ed good Re: odd ball miroku - 03/24/20 03:37 AM
plus, this gun has an extractor and not ejectors like the bss...

however, liar is a rather inappropriate and rude accusation, dont you agree?...look at their feedback...plus, they have been a gb seller for almost 20 years now...
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: odd ball miroku - 03/24/20 11:44 PM
Yes Replacement, much more the same as Charles Daly guns from the same period. To their credit, chopper lump barrels, usually. Sometimes nicely figured wood. Cheap enough to modify to your liking, absolutely no collector value so wale away! I will give the seller the benefit of ignorance as there was no reserve. Somebody got a good gun for cheap!
Chief
Posted By: Mark II Re: odd ball miroku - 03/25/20 02:25 AM
I had a Miroku sxs with the shape at the back of the frame the same as the BSS and ejectors and bushed pins. It had a huge beavertail, cheek piece and sling swivels. The guy I bought it from said he bought it in Japan while in the Navy. Horrible wood. Sold it to a gunmaker in Trinidad as the basis of a double rifle. never heard how it turned out.
Posted By: mark Re: odd ball miroku - 03/25/20 02:53 AM
Nicest Miroku I have had was like a 500 with better wood, an english stock and case colored action. Wish I had a dozen of them
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: odd ball miroku - 03/25/20 01:42 PM
The nicest Miroku 500 I have is one I bought from Steve Bertram which was built for the English market. I can't tell it from a Birmingham boxlock...Geo
Posted By: SKB Re: odd ball miroku - 03/25/20 02:14 PM
If I ever get my next ship out of the UK, in it there is a Kawaguchia model "M' in it. Pretty similar to a 500 with a case colored action. No clue when shipments will resume though. I have all the permits in place, hopefully by June or so.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: odd ball miroku - 03/26/20 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
If I ever get my next ship out of the UK, in it there is a Kawaguchia model "M' in it. Pretty similar to a 500 with a case colored action. No clue when shipments will resume though. I have all the permits in place, hopefully by June or so.

Steve, I had one of those--Miroku Model M, case colored, straight/splinter/DT/extractors. Also as described previously by Mark and George. Looked like a very basic Birmingham boxlock. I know where it is, and sometimes think about seeing if I can own it again. Doubt the current owner has used it much. 12ga, factory choked IC/IM. Nice pheasant gun.

Had another one brought back by a Navy vet who'd been stationed in Japan. That one was a 20, PG/splinter. Pretty much like new. Several years ago, Cabela's came across something like 10 of those, brand new. I think they all stayed at the Sidney store. Sold for around $1,000, IIRC. The BSS are good guns, especially the Sporter. But I thought those were nicer. Lighter + double triggers, although they were extractor guns.

I bought a Western Field 20ga like that one years ago, but in nicer condition, as a raffle gun for our Ruffed Grouse Society banquet. You won't see a lot of them made for Monkey Wards like that. Must've been close to the time they got out of the gun business.
Posted By: redoak Re: odd ball miroku - 03/27/20 05:44 PM
I have a Miroku Daly 500 3" 20b, it is nicely made gun, but the barrels are HEAVY. Way too heavy for an upland gun, for me anyway.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: odd ball miroku - 03/27/20 06:43 PM
Picked this up this winter as a project as cosmetically it needed TLC. Mechanically it is fine. So I repaired the toe, refinished the wood and re-blued the barrels. I wasn't going to spend the money having the checkering re-cut so I stippled it. It will be one of my knock around guns. I had a BSS for awhile but this gun is far and away lighter and better handling. I don't know if this is a model 500 or?
Posted By: Old Coach III Re: odd ball miroku - 04/08/20 02:17 AM
Someone got a real deal on that MW 20 gauge by Miroku. It is the Miroku Model 500, same as they built for Charles Daly. These are in no way the same gun as Browning BSS by Miroku which is the thru bolt design like an SKB or Beretta. The Miroku Model 500 is a true Anson Deeley boxlock and does not have a hole thru the stock for the bolt. The Miroku 500 came in various configurations (vent ribs, solid ribs, pistol grips, straight grips ). I even had one marked BC My Luck ( can you believe that name? }. From 10 feet away you couldn't tell it from a Webley and Scott. A 6.75# 12 gauge with 28" barrels. Never should have sold it.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: odd ball miroku - 04/08/20 01:20 PM
The name Miroku is actually a Japanese version of My Luck--which was an earlier English name for their guns . . . which apparently didn't have much luck at all. The name, that is . . . not the guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com