doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jlb Longthorne Gunmakers - 03/18/20 08:43 PM
After viewing the great video posted under Four Quintessential English Gunmakers my computer recommended another video: Longthorne Gunmakers: Factory Tour and Gun Test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXkd3XvWGO8

I found the video quite interesting and then began to wonder how the Longthorne guns compare to Fabbri or f.lli Rizzini guns. It seems that the Longthorne guns are less expensive but I would really appreciate information concerning a comparison of the fit and finish of these guns and their handling characteristics.

This is a market far from my wallet but I do find the topic interesting.

Thanks in advance.

j born
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Longthorne Gunmakers - 03/18/20 08:53 PM
They are very nice.

The barrels are ahead of their time due to their ability to handle large steel shot for high birds.

She posts here occasionally.
They are always welcoming to a factory tour.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Longthorne Gunmakers - 03/18/20 09:44 PM
How close to a finished part does H&H have to stop spark eroding to pass your muster?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Longthorne Gunmakers - 03/18/20 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
How close to a finished part does H&H have to stop spark eroding to pass your muster?

C'mon man. If you think H & H takes a part out of the CNC, Spark eroder, mill or whatever machine and think it just drops in and is going to pass muster or even work...... You have no idea how these things are made or even how the subtle touches the auctioneer applies to the part to make it work and pass inspection. In H & H's case..and most other English makers cases...All the machine does is get it close. Where they used to shape a part from raw forgings using hand tools, mills and jigs.... The machine does that for them. It still has to be formed, fitted and made to work and that's still done the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the non-fake news comparison of the guns, Dewey. Reality is always refreshing.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Longthorne Gunmakers - 03/18/20 10:01 PM
All I was getting at is every maker uses the technology available to them to satisfy their customers.

The UK migrating to a non lead pellet, and fibre wads, impacts barrel manufacture.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Longthorne Gunmakers - 03/18/20 10:18 PM
What’s their price point? 1.3 kg for a set of 12 ga barrels is impressive if that’s true. An average set of Perazzi 32” barrels is more on the order of 1.6 kg for 12 gauge. 0.3 kg is a significant difference. Interesting their barrels are very hard, don’t dent or flex much, but very light. I’d like to see a gun in person.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Longthorne Gunmakers - 03/18/20 10:35 PM
I shot one on a couple drives in Scotland.
It was nicely made.
Lively enough for driven grouse.

But for that task, a 12ga O/U is overkill in my view.

I liked that you could use them as traveling guns without concern for ammunition.

Didn't see how finished the inside was.
The owner was very happy with it, and shot it for everything.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Longthorne Gunmakers - 03/19/20 07:21 AM
Having looked at and shot a few ,Dewey V nails it perfectly with the Rizzini comparison.They handle ok but lack the finesse of better guns....you only get what you pay for !
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com