doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Run With The Fox Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/28/20 02:52 PM
Recent RIA auction catalog shows a golden 20 bore O/U Clark gave his wife Carole in 1940.. Wow- but would you ever take such a item afield?RWTF
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 12:22 PM
At a gun show a number of years ago, I saw a gun she gave to him. Stretching my memory here, but I believe it was a Parker CHE. Not sure of the gauge, but I think a smallbore.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 01:57 PM
He also gave Carol Lombard for their wedding gift in 1939 a 20 ga. L.C. Smith Crown Grade. One of our members owned or still owns it.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 02:49 PM
It was a CHE 28 gauge- wonder who owns it now. Most likely Clark was a steady customer of Alex Kerr Gun Shop- ditto Gary Cooper.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 04:26 PM
Quite often Carole was pictured shooting Cutts Compensator equipped Remington shotguns. Sportsman --

Model 31 --

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 04:36 PM
One of the images that appeared in Researcher's Life magazine collage; Lombard and Harry Fleischmann at the Santa Monica Gun Club, 1938

Gable had a BHE 32" barrel with BTFE 28g SN 201993 shipped 6-13-23 (obviously purchase later), a 32" BHE 20g, a DHE given him by Joan Bennett, and a VR A-1 Special purchased at the New York Sportsman's Show, from the Remington rep Cliff Baldwin, after the NYC premier of Gone With the Wind Dec. 19, 1939. He later gave the A-1 to Gary Cooper.
He also had a 20g CHE 2 barrel set
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13455
One of his Parkers is in the Clark Gable Museum Cadiz, Ohio.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 07:55 PM
I believe the DHE Joan gave him was a 20 gauge. I’ve seen it twice. A very nice little Skeet configured gun.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 08:42 PM
Thank you Dean. Did any of his 20s have a straight stock?
Undated photo of Gable and Cooper at Sun Valley with the Parker A-1 Special leaning against car.

October 1955 "Guns" magazine with BTFE PG 20g with what appears to be a cheekpiece?

Cooper with Gable's, now his A1 Special

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 09:28 PM
Found the newspaper copy regarding the trip to S.D. October, 1941
Gable's 12g double was not IDd

Better image and it looks to have a BTFE

Posted By: canvasback Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 10:14 PM
Gable shot numerous times at Delta Marsh in Manitoba. Stayed at Jimmy Robinson's Sportman's Lodge and hunted very near to where my place is. My neighbours (back in the 1960's) managed the lodge in the 30's and 40's and their home was lined with photos of them with the stars of Hollywood who liked to hunt. The ones I remember best were Gable, Bogart and Rod Taylor but there were tons of others. I was too young at the time to really understand what I was seeing.
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 10:51 PM
Gable was a customer of Helmut Dschulnigg in Salzburg/Austria in the 1950ies.

Posted By: Researcher Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 02/29/20 11:14 PM
Here are the pictures that Photobucket.com deleted from the linked post when they tried to hold our pictures hostage.

Posted By: L. Brown Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 03/10/20 09:53 PM
Re the photo of Gary Cooper hunting: You don't see many of those. Although he hunted a lot, he needed glasses to shoot. Hence, not many photos of him in the field.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 03/10/20 10:29 PM
Shooting glasses and his Model 42

Posted By: Researcher Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 03/13/20 12:55 AM
Is this thread a warm up for this?

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail...erunder-shotgun
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 05/07/20 12:02 AM
Brief film of Gable and Lombard hunting at 4:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6NiBMRnD8
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 05/07/20 02:29 PM
Shows what I know about Hollywood then. I did not know about the wartime plane crash that killed Lombard, breaking Gable's heart.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 05/07/20 02:47 PM
Gable’s Jaguar XK120 Roadster sold in an online auction just a few weeks ago. It was painted a medium metallic bronze color and had been tastefully customized by George Barris. If you are not a Jag aficionado, you’d never notice that anything had been changed.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 05/07/20 05:24 PM
i recall a book reference to gable in early 1930's, being in an arizona deer camp with a telescope sighted rifle. it said there were two items of interest - the star and the rifle - and noted the rifle attracted more attention.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 05/07/20 08:08 PM
Gary Cooper came by the Western roles naturally, coming from Montana. He attended Grinnell College in Iowa (my wife's alma mater and current employer) but did not graduate.
Posted By: Hoof Re: Clark Gable & Carole Lombard - 05/09/20 12:19 AM
Originally Posted By: graybeardtmm3
i recall a book reference to gable in early 1930's, being in an arizona deer camp with a telescope sighted rifle. it said there were two items of interest - the star and the rifle - and noted the rifle attracted more attention.

Jack O'Connor, I just reread the book that is in a few weeks ago.
CHAZ
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com