doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: cable couple of interesting doubles at auction today - 12/18/19 12:20 AM
I was bidding on other things but these two caught my eye as well:

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milita...mation/51492467

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milita...mation/51492540

the LC smith brought more than I would have thought for the condition
That Remington is a nice gun.
I thought so, but I had already bought several guns in the last week !
The Remington looks as though it was converted to a straight grip somewhere along the line.
Originally Posted By: Marc Ret
The Remington looks as though it was converted to a straight grip somewhere along the line.

I agree, but I did not see that until I read your note.
Something strange on the LC Smith, advertised as a Specialty Grade 20ga. It appears to be a #3 R frame in a 20ga???
I bet the LC is a 16ga. If checked with a drop in gauge a 16 full is close to 20ga cyl. I have seen 3 3in 20ga LCs with 30in 20ga CYL& CYL that turned out to be 16s at a major auction house.
Originally Posted By: mark
I bet the LC is a 16ga. If checked with a drop in gauge a 16 full is close to 20ga cyl. I have seen 3 3in 20ga LCs with 30in 20ga CYL& CYL that turned out to be 16s at a major auction house.

i wondered about that - got a beautiful baker 10 ga from an auction house that was supposed to be a 12 !
Cable:

I bought a 12 gauge Darne from a guy that turned out to be a 7 pound 3’ounce 10 gauge. They are extremely rare, at least in the US, so I kept it. RST makes a nice 1-1/8 ounce short 10 load that works wonderfully in it. It is early, perhaps pre-1898, and in wonderful (probably restored) condition. Fits me well and lacks the extreme drop of a lot of older Darnes.

But it was a surprise to find out how a 12 gauge snap cap fit when it arrived.

Rem
Couple of out of period things for that CEO-Grade Remington. That is far and away the lowest serial number I've seen with the "P" inventory code prefix to the serial number. Normally I haven't recorded that until into the 132xxx range --

Also, haven't recorded a one-screw trigger guard that low. Normally the front screw which is also the rear tang screw, is present into the low 132xxx range when the new-style action was introduced changing the sear pin location. Also, don't normally see that style safety slide until much later, and with the concave (Remington called them hollow) rib.
Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Cable:

I bought a 12 gauge Darne from a guy that turned out to be a 7 pound 3’ounce 10 gauge. They are extremely rare, at least in the US, so I kept it. RST makes a nice 1-1/8 ounce short 10 load that works wonderfully in it. It is early, perhaps pre-1898, and in wonderful (probably restored) condition. Fits me well and lacks the extreme drop of a lot of older Darnes.

But it was a surprise to find out how a 12 gauge snap cap fit when it arrived.

Rem

me too! was going to chedck the chamber length the day I got it, and was flummoxed to realize it was a 10... but it is beautiful and I am well pleased with it. I have a Winchester 1901 10 gauge lever gun so I was already set up with ammo and loading gear . plan to take those two tens on a waterfowl expedition next fall.
I bought the Remington. I’ll post more pics and give you my thoughts when I have it in hand. This is my first Remington SxS so I’m certainly no expert. But in searching the internet for pics of C grades, I couldn’t find another with that engraving, which I really like.
Congratulations LWS! It is a beauty.
I thought I would sneak in at Littlejohn's and buy the Sousa Grade Knick at a reasonable price. $16,200 was reasonable, but I went south at just over ten grand. There were a few interesting guns, but I only had three on my list, went home with a picture of the Sousa.

Did anyone bid on the Westley Richards SBT?
That straight grip conversion on the Remington really jumps out. It would have been better to bring up the toe line to keep it straight. Could still be done though. Nice gun otherwise.
Mark, I’ll message you after I receive the gun. Maybe we can do that.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com