doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 03:47 PM
I recall a discussion from some time back about coating damascus barrels with, I think, stock finish to protect and preserve the metal finish. I'd like to know how to prepare for doing this, how best to clean the surface and with what solvent, etc. All information will be helpful.
Posted By: SKB Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 04:15 PM
acetone works well for this
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 06:31 PM
Steve, Can anything be done for minor patches of discoloration?
Posted By: SKB Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 06:40 PM
Not that I have found. Much more so than rust blue, browning is a process that has to be done from start to finish. You can touch up rust blue quite easily but I find damascus to be a different animal. If someone has a method I would like to hear about it.
Posted By: keith Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 06:52 PM
Billy, there has been information posted here to answer your question. But you like to run away from the truth, so why would I tell you.

A couple weeks ago, you told us what an evil guy Trump is for having a desire to shine a light on the corruption of the anti-gun Democrat Joe Biden. You said Trump was violating the Constitution.

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Only people marginally smarter than Trump are stepping up to defend him. They are at a severe disadvantage when they come up against those who grasp the concept of the rule of law. When Trump swore an oath to uphold the constitution, he had no idea what he was thus obligated to do.

In my post #558873, I asked you to show us what part of the Constitution he was violating, and why Trump might be violating the Constitution worse than the anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats you support and vote for... who work relentlessly to infringe upon the 2nd Amendment Rights of law abiding U.S. Citizens. The question was posed here... to refresh your memory. But you ran away from that question:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=558694&page=2

I hope you don't consider this too far off-topic Billy.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 07:38 PM
I have used Formbys Tung oil with great results. It does bring out some of the color.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 08:18 PM
Keith, I should have specified that I don't want information from you. In the future keep that in mind. If you're serious about Trump's constitutional violations, try most any source but Fox News. Hug your AR-15; Republicans gave it to you in exchange for your vote and your brains.
Posted By: craigd Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
....Hug your AR-15....

The reason you can do this is because the military has developed various protective coatings over the years. Perhaps a parkerized finish would even out the appearance of your damascus barrels?
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 10:15 PM
Bill, as mentioned above, Formby’s Tung Oil is great for coating Damascus barrels and also actions. It is quite thin and has little solids so spreads easily and leaves virtually no streaking. Apply fairly wet but not so much as to run. It will appear to have way too much on it at first but as it dries thins considerably. I have also found it to be durable and easily repaired should it need it. It is great over engraving as it dries so thin not to fill the cuts.
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/08/19 10:37 PM
This approach came from the pen of noted vintage gun collector Keith Neal -
beeswax and turpentine. Application requires that the barrels are warm. I have
been using it for a number of years. I guessed at the proportions.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/09/19 12:17 AM
Thanks for the help. Useful suggestions are always welcome.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/09/19 01:34 AM
Craig, the rules say contribute when you can. We all appreciate your effort and understand your handicaps. Keep up the good effort.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/10/19 05:13 AM
I’ve used Formby’s Tung Oil before, and liked it. After reacquiring a gun I sold that had that solution applied, I found it yellowed a little, which was a little disappointing.

Some like to use multiple applications of was, such as Briwax or Renaissance.

Something I plan to try is clear Ceracote. By adjusting the amount of hardener, you can vary the degree of shine, and it’s a strong finish that will not yellow.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/10/19 01:10 PM
I used to make my own fishing baits. After carving and painting I used clear coat over the paint to protect the bait. I'll bet that stuff would be good over metal to protect case color or barrel finish...Geo
Posted By: Stallones Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/10/19 05:39 PM
I refinish quite a few Damascus bbls and afterwards use a thin coat of Watco Danish oil finish Neutral. Works very well gives a nice finish
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/10/19 09:38 PM
Thompson's Water Seal, solvent based, red label can. Works great on any firearm, wood and metal. Leaves a very durable wax-like coating that is basically imperceptible.
JR
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/10/19 10:06 PM
Again, thanks for a wealth of information. I won't be able to try all of them at once but will definitely use some.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/11/19 01:41 AM
Oscar used to use clear laquer.
bill
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/11/19 01:50 AM
Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
Oscar used to use clear laquer.
bill

Behlen's, if I remember correctly.

SRH
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/11/19 03:03 AM
Yes Stan, Behlen's.

Behlen's is clear and looks good over black Damascus, no warm tint that most lacquers have.

OTOH warm lacquers do look good on brown Damascus.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/11/19 03:15 AM
Baking lacquer from Brownells looks damn good on charcoal case colors
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Coating damascus barrels - 12/12/19 12:28 PM
Dr. Oscar Gaddy, 2003
“For some time, I have been using a clear-coat aerosol spray-on lacquer made and sold by Behlens. It is a true cellulose lacquer that you can spray on and have a very uniform coat without bubbles and running with just a little care in application. When you need to redo it, it can easily be removed by merely soaking the parts in acetone. I have been very pleased with its performance and I use it on all Damascus barrels that I refinish and on some guns that I color case harden if the owner wants a protective coating.”
https://www.shellac.net/behlen_spray_finishes.html
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com