doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: wannagohunting Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/22/19 02:23 AM
Anyone have a clue what the psi would be on the Aguila 12ga 1 3/4 in MINISHELL? I have the 7 1/2 SHOT 1175 FPS.
Thank you,
Dale
Posted By: ed good Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/22/19 07:10 PM
how much shot? maybe 1/2 ounce or so?
Posted By: wannagohunting Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/23/19 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: ed good
how much shot? maybe 1/2 ounce or so?

5/8oz
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/23/19 01:52 AM
These were discussed last year minishell. If someone found anything, they didn't report back.

Ken
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/23/19 11:53 AM
Ship five off to Tom Armbrust for testing. Then, you'll know for sure. Precision Reloading does pressure testing too, but on reloads only, for some reason. They won't test factory loaded ammo.

SRH
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/23/19 12:57 PM
Roughly 11K
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/23/19 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: RARiddell
Roughly 11K

Whoa...
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/25/19 01:58 PM
They tested factory loads a couple of times for me a number of years ago. Does anyone know why they stopped?
Posted By: wannagohunting Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/28/19 05:38 AM
[quote=RARiddell]Roughly 11K [/quote

Well I guess they would not be good for Damascus Guns then.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/28/19 12:58 PM
This is from the website

All Types of MINISHELLS are loaded to SAAMI specs according to 12ga shotshells of regular size, namely 2-3/4" or 3" in length. This means that regular shells and MINISHELLS generate the same pressure in the chamber of 12ga shotguns. MINISHELLS should NEVER be used in signal/flare guns or any other firearm other than 12ga caliber SAAMI approved shotguns. Failure to comply with this may result in injury or death to the user or others.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/28/19 02:00 PM
Weren't they designed as a defense load ?
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/28/19 04:21 PM
They were, especially for law enforcement and military. People are finding other uses for them, the website and CS say pressures are roughly around 11k it would interesting to have them tested to know for sure.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/28/19 08:39 PM
I don’t have any guns I feel the need to run 11K through.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/28/19 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Best,
Ted

If you’re hunting in non-tox areas or are an avid waterfowler and can’t afford to pop a few hundred boutique non-tox loads per season...you most definitely will have the need. I routinely use shells that generate 1050 bar (@15k psi). No, not for vintage guns, but modern or modern’ish guns will chew those up and spit em out with ZERO issues, yep...even break action guns.
Posted By: battle Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/28/19 11:42 PM
Federal is producing a shorty now. Don’t know the pressures...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/29/19 12:28 AM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Best,
Ted

If you’re hunting in non-tox areas or are an avid waterfowler and can’t afford to pop a few hundred boutique non-tox loads per season...you most definitely will have the need. I routinely use shells that generate 1050 bar (@15k psi). No, not for vintage guns, but modern or modern’ish guns will chew those up and spit em out with ZERO issues, yep...even break action guns.

Been using a boutique 16 load at my one and only non toxic area. 1 oz of Heavi-Metal at 1050fps.

The pumps and autos have been gathering dust for a few seasons. If I ever shot a 15K load, I didn’t know it. The old Federal Pheasants Forever load, 1 1/4 oz load at 1150fps was 10.5K, probably over the line in the Beretta I fed ‘em to, but, it didn’t see many in a season. The R10 wouldn’t care.

A lot of what I hunt with is CIP Okey-Dokey.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/29/19 12:31 AM
From Federal regarding their mini’s
We can load them up to that pressure, we typically see on average 9200-9500 fps when we do our testing.

excellent Thank you! Those short (1 .75")shells are running at 11,500 psi?

From: Federal Ammunition Product Service <Anoka.Prodserv@VistaOutdoor.com>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2019 9:23 AM
To: riddell_446@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Federal Premium - Contact Us

Rick

SAAMI max is 11,500 psi, we are allowed to load up to this max pressure.

Thank You
Federal Ammunition
Tech Services
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/29/19 02:52 AM
I still can’t fathom why a guy with an old double would be interested in 5/8ths oz ammunition that is cooking along at 11.5K pressure.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/29/19 01:10 PM
Seems to me they would have to use a very fast powder with 5/8 oz of shot to get the pressure up to 11.5K psi. What would be the purpose of this high pressure with such a light load of shot? I would suppose it so they will "Kick" an Auto bot back, but as most autos, in use, today are gas-operated it seems to me a slower powder with a lower "Chamber" pressure would maintain a higher barrel pressure down where the gas port is.

As a dyed in the wool double shooter I see no advantage to a shell that short anyway. I did a search on the Federals & seems they only load them with a slug, buckshot & 15/16 oz of #8 shot. The slugs & buckshot I would guess are aimed at law enforcement, don't know who the # shot load is aimed at.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Aguila Minishell Pressure? - 11/29/19 02:05 PM
Inside the home self defense, would be my guess. Small shot are less able to penetrate multiple drywall layers and cause co-lateral damage.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com