doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Marks_21 OT - oddity. - 09/20/19 09:11 PM
I sure wish I could find the under bidder!

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/77/3098/desirable-fc-taylor-fur-getter-single-shot-trap-gun
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT - oddity. - 09/21/19 12:19 AM
Why? Did your finger find the "bid" icon while your brain was in relax mode?
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: OT - oddity. - 09/21/19 12:37 AM
Mostly to sell him mine. I intend to make a little demonstration video with a plastic dog toy steak on the hook and a stuffed animal to pull it, but I have yet to come up with a way to do it with confidence. It is the most inherently dangerous thing I have ever handled. That trumps women , motorcycles, race cars, and makeshift explosives.
Posted By: keith Re: OT - oddity. - 09/22/19 01:13 AM
It is cool and interesting. What caliber is it?

I like the idea of a demonstration video, but I'd suggest a nice juicy grapefruit, rather than a toy stuffed animal as the target. I'd think you could do it safely by screwing the lag-bolt mount into a 2"×6", pointed in the direction of a safe backstop. Set up the grapefruit at a height centered with the muzzle, and use a wire to poke a hole through the grapefruit. Then mount a pulley at the muzzle end of the board, and run a heavy line around the pulley, through the hole in the grapefruit, and tied to the bait hook. Naturally, you wouldn't load and cock it until everyone nearby was behind the gun. Then you could safely pull the line from behind the gun, with your video camera off to the side capturing the show.

If something like that was available today, it would be a product liability lawyer's dream. I could see nca225, rocky mtn bill, or ed good tugging at the baited hook... unable to connect the dots, and proving Darwin's theory.
Posted By: AZMike Re: OT - oddity. - 09/22/19 01:34 AM
Very simular concept to wiring the trigger of a shotgun tied down to a closed door--I've seen it in movies.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT - oddity. - 09/22/19 02:25 AM
Originally Posted By: AZMike
Very simular concept to wiring the trigger of a shotgun tied down to a closed door--I've seen it in movies.

We call those “spring guns” around these parts, and they were sometimes used by folks that had cabins that were unoccupied for part of the year. They are illegal, as they don’t differentiate between a hoodlum, or, a firefighter or cop checking for victims in an emergency.
As a kid I can remember we used to read about them every few years when somebody finally had enough of people breaking in to a cabin or deer shack in the boonies. It never ended well.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT - oddity. - 09/29/19 07:45 PM
Safety tip to all. Do not tie the string of your spring-gun to the closed door of your room if you have to go out that door. Kind of like painting one's self into a corner but with more serious results...Geo
Posted By: ed good Re: OT - oddity. - 09/29/19 09:29 PM
keet de nero has resurfaced...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com