doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: FallCreekFan Golden - 07/12/19 02:48 PM
Fifty years ago today we left the Queen City of the Ozarks in my old Chevy, headed for Kentucky to elope. The writer of Proverbs wisely said,

"Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing,
and obtaineth favour of the Lord."

How true! I am a blessed man.

This morning she gave me a card saying, "Marriage has been linked to better health and longer life for a variety of reasons - not the least of which is, you lasted all these years without killing each other." :-)

I gave her a new ring.
She gave me a pristine boxed set of the first 2 decades of the DGJ.

Lots of love and lots of gratitude here today.

Posted By: dogon Re: Golden - 07/12/19 02:54 PM
Congrat's that's a true milestone for sure!!!!
Posted By: ed good Re: Golden - 07/12/19 02:56 PM
you both are so very blessed, wise and lucky...congratulations!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Golden - 07/12/19 03:30 PM
Lovely wife; cool dog...Geo
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Golden - 07/12/19 04:09 PM
Fantastic! We celebrated our 55th yesterday. It just keeps getting better and better!
Posted By: craigd Re: Golden - 07/12/19 04:23 PM
Congrats. She’s still smiling, did you mention that you’re taking her back to the picture place for dove season? Many, many more.
Posted By: Mills Re: Golden - 07/12/19 04:44 PM
Good job! That's what it's all about
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Golden - 07/12/19 06:42 PM
Congratulations to you both. As Mills stated, "that what it's all about".
Posted By: Matt Stolley Re: Golden - 07/12/19 08:32 PM
Congratulations to both of you!
May you have many more happy years together!
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Golden - 07/12/19 10:14 PM
Congrats Show-Me;
My wife & I just made 59 in March. From your pic though we are a mite older than the two of you.

Saying the Ozarks reminded me of what a former co-worker told. I was an apprentice machinist & he was nearing retirement. Anyway prior to entering the machinist trade he had driven a truck for a while. He was from Arkansas & was working from there. Was on a run & a young girl was on the roadside hitchhiking, so he stopped & picked her up. They chatted as he drove on down the road & she told him she simply could not get along with her parents & was running away from home. Somewhere on about a couple of hundred miles down the road they stopped & were married. I have no idea how long that had been but obviously, some years & they were still happily married.

Not long after that, he retired & they went back to the Ozarks & he worked as a fishing guide, last I heard of him.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Golden - 07/12/19 10:14 PM
Congratulations! That's a real milestone to be proud of.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Golden - 07/12/19 11:00 PM
Sincere congratulations, a life well lived! May you be blessed with many more. I just passed 45 years and can honestly say that there isn't a day I would take back.
Karl
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Golden - 07/13/19 01:42 AM
I was thinking this might be about retrievers. smile

50 yrs is amazing. That is a very worthy milestone. I doubt I will live long enough to make 50, but I can definitely appreciate your accomplishment. Congratulations.

Brent
Posted By: old colonel Re: Golden - 07/13/19 01:44 AM
Congratulations,
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Golden - 07/13/19 03:58 AM
Congratulations.

Wishing you many more wonderful years together.

Are those Colorado sunflowers or PA?
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Golden - 07/13/19 04:34 AM
Bill, those are Colorado sunflowers. And Craig, I’d love to take her back to that sunflower field come September but unfortunately the equipment is in that vast field right now readying the land for a crop of 1700 new homes. Sad.

Brent, our last dog was a golden retriever. He was with us 13 years. Before him we had a Lab back when I duck hunted a lot. Momma wanted a “lap dog”, though, as we moved into retirement. Since one of our daughters-in-law is severely allergic to dogs, this one needed to be hypoallergenic hence the Bichon. He’s a very good dog as were all our others.

Just got in from taking my bride for a wonderful evening at The Fort restaurant in the foothills of Morrison, CO, next to Red Rocks amphitheater. The joke was you’ll need to save for 50 years to go there but so worth it. I had the game plate: elk, bison and quail.

Thanks to all of you for your kind wishes. As I said this morning, I’m a blessed man.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Golden - 07/13/19 10:51 AM
Beautiful backdrop for a fine looking couple. Congratulations, and continued blessings. The 50th is a great milestone to have reached.

Our 48th is upcoming, in November.

SRH
Posted By: AZMike Re: Golden - 07/13/19 11:10 AM
Kathleen and I are 43 years married.

A List of Animals That Mate for Life

There are plenty of examples of animals that mate for life.

Just to name a few:

Gibbon apes
Wolves
Termites
Coyotes
Barn owls
Beavers
Bald eagles
Golden eagles
Condors
Swans
Brolga cranes
French angel fish
Sandhill cranes
Pigeons
Prions
Red-tailed hawks
Anglerfish
Ospreys
Prairie voles
Black vultures
Some animals, like the black vulture, will actually attack and sometimes kill an unfaithful member of their species.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Golden - 07/13/19 11:36 AM
AZMike, Don't bet your bottom dollar on those Prairie Voles.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Golden - 08/21/19 04:21 PM
Our kids have strung out our 50th celebration with little gifts along the way. This was one of the best.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Golden - 08/21/19 04:26 PM
BTW Our older son mentioned to us that he had recently read an article indicating that the success of marriages was inversely proportion to the amount spent on the wedding. Maybe that researcher was on to something. My wife found the original receipt for our wedding rings.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Golden - 08/22/19 01:47 AM
That's $24.50 and $21.50.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Golden - 08/22/19 01:58 AM
Dang, I'm doomed. We spent about $300 on a whole pig to roast and a keg of beer and some ice cream.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Golden - 08/22/19 03:03 PM
The missus and I are nearing 48 years...we married at 19.

I think the John Prine song "In Spite of Ourselves" pretty well describes us.
grin

https://www.bing.com/search?q=In+spite+o...62271d79af16fb3
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Golden - 08/23/19 01:27 PM
Brent, I’d say your fine. It’s probably those 5 and 6 figure weddings that need to be concerned.
And Ken, keep up the good work. We were 19 and 18.

We’ve been enjoying the coffee mugs but the thought has occurred to me:
How come the kids thought of angling abilities first and made no mention of my prowess with a double gun?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Golden - 08/23/19 03:12 PM
I recently lost my wedding band. I wanted to replace it with one of those new rubber camo bands. Wife nipped that idea in the bud. At least I talked her into going with me to the pawn shop and picking out an inexpensive replacement...Geo
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Golden - 08/23/19 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I recently lost my wedding band. I wanted to replace it with one of those new rubber camo bands. Wife nipped that idea in the bud. At least I talked her into going with me to the pawn shop and picking out an inexpensive replacement...Geo

(smiley face)

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com