doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ksauers1 Where to buy a couple of shipping boxes? - 06/26/19 05:02 PM
where can you get just a couple of boxes for shipping out a shotgun?
I've been buying the cheap plastic cases on line from Walmart (about $18 each, with free shipping if you exceed $35). They come with a box. They measure 42 inches long and hold a broken down shotgun quite nicely. There is also a 50 inch model for full length shipment.
Here is one option I found on a quick Google search:

http://www.cameronpackaging.com/gun_boxes

Midway used to sell a box for a breakdown gun (either pump or break-open actions) with foam, but no longer does. Brownells only sells full length boxes. The cheap gun case is a great option, too, but you need to camouflage it with the overbox as described above.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Where to buy a couple of shipping boxes? - 06/26/19 06:23 PM
Go to your local gunshop and see if they have any shipping boxes that they have received guns in.
I just save'em from the guns I buy. If you have a bad enough habit they tend to mount up...Geo
Midway USA sells heavy cardboard shipping cartons for guns. If it's a valuable gun, think about building a plywood box inside the cardboard carton. Doesn't have to be pretty, 1/4" ply is enough to keep the carton from getting punctured or bent.
Regarding used corrugated....

No shipper will honor a damage claim is a gun is shipped in used corrugated.
Never heard that before...Geo
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Midway USA sells heavy cardboard shipping cartons for guns. If it's a valuable gun, think about building a plywood box inside the cardboard carton. Doesn't have to be pretty, 1/4" ply is enough to keep the carton from getting punctured or bent.

I checked out midway and couldn't find any
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Where to buy a couple of shipping boxes? - 06/27/19 02:01 PM
I use the cheap plastic gun cases that I wrap in two layers of heavy cardboard. I also will use a Leg of Mutton case for doubles that I wrap in bubble wrap and then heavy cardboard box. For barrels only shipment I use modified PVC pipe with screw on ends with bubble wrap around the barrels inside the pipe then bubble wrap around the pipe that is placed inside a heavy cardboard box. You can not over pack but you certainly can underpack.
I ordered some from cameron packaging

thanks
Quote:
I checked out midway and couldn't find any

I just called Midway and they no longer carry those boxes. Try Brownell's?
When I checked when this was first posted, all I could find is full-length rifle boxes from Brownells that are 51.5" long. Looks like the OP has a solution, maybe John Boyd from Quality Arms who posts here might have a line on them. Most AR's aren't much longer than a broken down SXS or OU, run 32" with a collapsed stock, so one would think there would be an abundance of options out there.
Walmart sells a 42” plastic case. That’s the shortest I’ve found.
I mostly use boxes that fit beak down shotguns. IE: sbs and o/u

When I do send a rifle I keep a few long boxes that came from one of the wholesaler who sent something to me.

There is a place near me that does have long boxes for rifles. They sell boxes and are a private po service.

I generally buy 25-50 at a time from Uline.

John
Posted By: keith Re: Where to buy a couple of shipping boxes? - 06/28/19 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Regarding used corrugated....

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I have never heard of this either. Can you give us some source to confirm such a thing? And what is the difference between a good used corrugated cardboard shipping box, and a new one?

And I agree with KY Jon's thoughts on packing a gun for shipping. Always best to ship the gun broken down too, with everything well wrapped and padded. And most important to avoid shipping damage, in my opinion... never use Fed Ex. The only guns I've received damaged in shipping came by Fed Ex. Same for several that miraculously weren't damaged, but boxes looked like they were very carelessly handled. Then there was one last year that showed Fed Ex tracking delivery to my FFL, but the package actually ended up at a Walgreens Pharmacy in another town.
Posted By: builder Re: Where to buy a couple of shipping boxes? - 06/28/19 09:23 PM
Only broken gun I have ever received was Fedex also. A professional shipper did not break it down and Fedex broke the stock. Both at fault. The shipper got it all reimbursed for the price I paid and then Fedex sent a call for pick up to a FFL. apparently they have experience.
Originally Posted By: ksauers1
I ordered some from cameron packaging

thanks

Bruce gave you a good link IMO, you will be pleased with them. They are really stout. Last month I shipped my last gun from a 5 pack of them I bought awhile back. Fold all the tabs first and fold everything up in a dry run, take your time. And a roll of heavy duty packing tape plus packing material but don't over stuff the boxes.
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Where to buy a couple of shipping boxes? - 06/29/19 04:05 AM
Get Two triangular shipping tubes, about 38" X 6" X6". Then get 8X8X40 boxes from Uline. Put the stock in one tube and the fore-end in the other, with padding, and put the tubes back-to-back inside the Uline box. Put in bubble wrap or newsprint to secure the tubes inside the Uline box. You don't want them moving around. Pad one end so that the tubes don't slide. In four years of shipping this way I've never had any damage. I've probably shipped 300 guns this way.
Originally Posted By: Vol423
In four years of shipping this way I've never had any damage. I've probably shipped 300 guns this way.

That's a lot of guns for a feller claiming not to be a gun dealer.

Just sAying bub
I buy boxes from Uline and 3” pvc pipe from Home Depot. The barrels and forend go in the pipe, padded and packed tight. The pipe, cut full length of the interior of the box, goes in the box and the stock/receiver, well padded and packed tight, goes in the box.

I supposed the stock could be damaged in extreme circumstances but nothing will happened to the barrels. Besides protecting the barrels, the pipe shores up the strength and rigidity of the box.
Originally Posted By: keith
[quote=DAM16SXS]Regarding used corrugated....

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

I have never heard of this either. Can you give us some source to confirm such a thing? And what is the difference between a good used corrugated cardboard shipping box, and a new one?

I worked in shipping new products to both retail and wholesale customers every day of my career. This is the information I got from Fedex and UPS. I never questioned them about it. I somply took it as good advice. When it comes to paying damage claims they will use every possible reason to deny your damage claim and this is one of their reasons. Consequently, I never shipped anything valuable in used corrugated.
I didn’t challenge their policy - I simply took necessary precautions.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Where to buy a couple of shipping boxes? - 07/05/19 06:06 PM
For any gun I have worth shipping to get work done, I put it in a cheap aluminum, foam lined case and the case in a cardboard box. I don't want damage claims. I'll pay the shipping expense to avoid it. My expectation is the box will get dropped from a conveyer system somewhere. I think my method will survive a pretty high drop without gun damage.
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
For any gun I have worth shipping to get work done, I put it in a cheap aluminum, foam lined case...

Please inform us about this "cheap aluminum, foam lined case". Thanks.
JR
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Pillared-Ta...KGGDF7P3JHYNJQC

JR
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
For any gun I have worth shipping to get work done, I put it in a cheap aluminum, foam lined case...

Please inform us about this "cheap aluminum, foam lined case". Thanks.
JR

A "cheap foam lined aluminum" case is one you've owned a long time and can't remember what it cost...Geo
Here you go . . . shipping on the boxes is fairly high, but stock up and buy more than you need. Quantity spreads the shipping cost out . . .

Good variety of nice shipping boxes
I make all my own gun shipping boxes from 2”X3” pine and 1/4” luan flooring. Quick, easy and cheap. Countersunk and pre-drilled for 3/4” drywall screws every 6 inches or so.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com