Going to duck hunt with the gun.BBl blue gone any suggestion.GW
I think the remaining original blue is better than any "cold blue"

bill
Posted By: skeettx Re: Best cold blue for a beater LC Smith - 06/24/19 01:15 AM
YES!!
Oil her up, take her hunting
Mike
Posted By: keith Re: Best cold blue for a beater LC Smith - 06/24/19 02:01 AM
I agree with Bill Schodlatz. But if it really looks bad and you are determined to use a cold blue to spruce it up a bit, there is none better and more durable than Brownell's Oxpho Blue. A bit of practice with it on a junk barrel wouldn't hurt because the final appearance has a lot to do with technique. Always pour a little into a small container and use that for your applicator pads. I find that using a small wad of 0000 steel wool as an applicator and rubbing it into the steel helps to get a nice even finish. Never contaminate your bottle with a used applicator pad, or return any used solution back into the bottle.
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Best cold blue for a beater LC Smith - 06/24/19 02:10 AM
Guess I leave her be.Thanks
Posted By: builder Re: Best cold blue for a beater LC Smith - 06/24/19 03:22 AM
Excellent post Keith!
Posted By: eeb Re: Best cold blue for a beater LC Smith - 06/24/19 10:13 PM
I have had very good results with Oxpho Blue after heating the work with a heat gun. Not sure why this is but it works for me.
Not with steel shot loads I hope. A duck hunting pal inherited a Trap Grade 12 bore LONGRANGE-- 32" DT, AE-- the "whole 9 yards" of "Smithian workmanship-- I tried to tell him NOT to shoot steel shot 3" loads in it, but he went right ahead- not a smart move on his part- After he ruined the barrels and the stock split behind both lockplates, he went back to his Mossy-Burg 835 Ulti- and put what was left of a fine doublegun in the steel vault- where it rests yet today.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com