doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/22/19 11:18 PM
I love the look and feel of this gun 6lbs 5 oz. very thin in the grip, shoulders and swings nicely! A simple provincial gun marked F. Davie out of Elgin Morayshire. So let’s see what you have!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 12:29 AM
I like the wood on that one!...Geo
Posted By: old colonel Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 01:01 AM
2nd on the wood

Do you own it?
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 03:21 AM
no longer have any Scottish doubles but I still have a Robert Hughes 577-450 Martini sporting rifle.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 06:28 AM
A Allan, Glasgow.
It would appear the Scot's put a bit more emphasis on wood and fit/finish in the modest grades.

Posted By: RARiddell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 10:31 AM
That Arthur Allan is sharp! What does it weigh? Do you notice any modifications in the frame from a standard Birmingham gun? Mine is very plain but smaller in the frame and stock, as in thinner.
Posted By: gjw Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 01:07 PM
Hi, I only have one, a J. Harkom & Son. Very nice light and handling 12b. I really like her:

Best,

Greg
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 02:00 PM
Harkom is definitely a name I’ve heard and seen, some nice guns out of that shop, and yours is great! Thank you for posting!
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 04:49 PM

Charles Ingram side lock, Glasgow, in it's original Ingram case.

Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 09:35 PM
Going a bit further back in time but here's a William Landell of Glasgow.

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 09:55 PM
Gone now, but an interesting Dickson

Posted By: RARiddell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/23/19 10:10 PM
That Dickson is interesting! How does it work?
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/24/19 01:31 PM
Pull back the trigger guard to open

Move the top slide forward to add additional locking of the action

Squeeze the grip to take the safety off
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/24/19 01:51 PM
That is too cool!
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/24/19 02:48 PM
Dickson has always been one of my favorites, I think the next one will be a simple boxlock by this maker!
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 02:27 AM
From Bothwell, Scotland—a 12 ga pheasant gun 6lbs 10ozs and a 16ga grouse gun 5lbs 15ozs. Still looking for a nice Dickson and a Horton.

Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 04:10 AM
James MacNaughton 12 bore ejector,29" nitro damascus,choked mod&mod,one set of original nitro proof marks circa 1900,bore
dimensions as built.Delivered to original owner in 1923,marked in records as best ejector damascus. A delight to shoot.
"Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee"
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 05:01 AM
Terry if not too much trouble, what is the grip width where the tang meets the comb nose. Lovely shotgun.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 08:39 AM
My Double is very similar in the grip, I love it, it’s very thin but not that thin!

Posted By: Demonwolf444 Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 01:49 PM
A double flinter - Barrels by Blaikie of Glasgow Lockplates marked "innes" guns been converted to percussion by way of drum and nipple, blaikie also patented a machine for slicing bread, which makes this gun the best thing since sliced bread. - For that pundit alone i had to have it.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 02:05 PM
That MacNaughton is one sweet slender gun. I like it!
Posted By: Steve Nash Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 04:07 PM
Here are some more Scottish oldies. A 14-bore pinfire gun by Hugh Snowie of Inverness, possibly made before 1860:

Second is a 12-bore pinfire gun by James Erskine of Newton Stewart, probably mid-1860s:

Third is a single-barrelled 12-bore pinfire gun by John Dickson & Son of Edinburgh, made in 1867:

I also have two J. D. Dougall pinfires and a 12-bore pinfire by Edward Paton of Perth, but who (besides me) wants to look at pinfires all day?
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 07:16 PM
Hello PG. The grip width at that point is 1.075 inches.Cheers
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/26/19 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: old colonel
2nd on the wood

Do you own it?

Yes!
Posted By: old colonel Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/27/19 05:54 PM
The only Scottish gun's I have are a pair of 16ga SLE's from Alex Martin circa 1926

I could not resist the Celtic engraving
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/27/19 08:51 PM
Mike,
I feel that the Celtic engraving only adds to the character of a Scottish gun. Your's is especially nicely done.
Karl
Posted By: old colonel Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/27/19 09:17 PM
I wish I could determine for sure the actual producer and engraver for the guns. (Probably should start a different thread)

I believe Alex Martin made the guns in house but I am sure engraved patterned which matches their standard pattern was done by an out worker
( I have collected a number of pictures of 12 ga Martin SLE Celtic guns and the patterns match mine as well as Alex Henry guns of similar time frame)

I must say the wood on RARidell’s gun is much nicer.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/27/19 09:39 PM
Hey Mike,
Dickson has the records, Donald Dallas mentioned AABrown and also found out Holloway and AE Bayliss were suppliers to Alex Martin. It’s a start, best of luck and great looking guns! Aside from the wood it’s very plain!
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/29/19 12:31 AM
I'm late to the Scottish-fest, but thought I'd add my "pair" of Frasers.

(I just realized I don't have a lot of great photos of the guns so these are the old auction house photos).

First the rifle (.303 Velox converted to 7.65 Argentine)

And the shotgun

Posted By: RARiddell Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 06/29/19 01:20 AM
That’s a nice looking shotgun, what is the weight? I love the little detail on the forend!
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 07/02/19 01:17 AM
The Fraser weighs 6 lbs 10 oz with 30" barrels. Below are a couple of better photos:

Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Scottish doubles, whatcha got! - 07/02/19 05:12 AM

Wood & Engraving, Engraving & Wood. WOW ! On both.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com