doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: skeettx Engraved Parker - 04/21/19 09:22 PM
Any assistance here?

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22147
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Engraved Parker - 04/21/19 09:39 PM
Looks like from the 'graver walk' found on Vulcan grade Parker shotgun, an "embellished" and refinished Parker- what are the markings on the barrel top rib, and the grade mark found on the receiver flat, along with the SN-- No 1 frame is fairly common for 16 gauge Parker guns, sometimes you will come across a 16 on a O size frame-- More detailed photos would help us here- RWTF
Posted By: crs Re: Engraved Parker - 04/22/19 01:31 AM
If no luck here, try the PGCA site.
Posted By: eng-pointer Re: Engraved Parker - 04/22/19 02:14 AM
I am completely unfamiliar with the Graver walk terminology. Forgive my ignorance but could you explain what that means. I will try to get more information.

Thanks,
James.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Engraved Parker - 04/22/19 10:42 AM
James, it is a simple and quickly executed form of border engraving that was utilized on some of the vintage American doubles. A H Fox Sterlingworth is one example. Here's a very short video showing it being done by Dewey Vicknair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQiXkCUIEFI

SRH
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Engraved Parker - 04/22/19 01:43 PM
That is very similar to the process used to put "Oil Pockets" in machine ways after they are scrapped in for flatness. While on my apprenticeship I had to put time in with the machine maintenance department & it just so happened while I was doing that a very good rebuilder was re-building a milling machine. I got some very good experience with him & learned how to do the scraping & Breaking Up, which was what he called this process.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Engraved Parker - 04/22/19 06:49 PM
It's called a 'wriggle cut' in engravers terms. Seen a lot in jewelry and Western art type engraving.

Parker VH, Browning A5 borders, AH Fox borders, are a couple common places it was used on firearms in production. There are others of course.
It's a way to even-up a relief cut background and add a matted surface to it by going in a couple different directions over it.

Generally done with a common flat graver. But occasionaly you will see gold or silver inlayed lines gone over and wriggle cut to enhance or 'bright cut' them. That's usually done with a round nose graver thats the width of the inlayed line.

The so called 'Pawn Shop' engraving on handguns that was popular from the Southwest USA in the early 1900's was done primarily all with wriggle cut to form not only borders, but also flowers, scrolls, figures and other designs.
Wolf & Klar (Pawn, Jewelry, Guns, you name it,,)of Fort Worth Tx was a well known origin for that type of engraving on handguns and their name is often given to the style.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com