doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC Southern Side by Side event - 04/17/19 06:33 PM
Who's going next week? Anybody looking for anything in particular?
Posted By: Mills Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/17/19 06:34 PM
I am going. You don't have to look for stuff there, it comes and finds you.
Posted By: dblgnfix Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/17/19 07:18 PM
I am attending as well. I will be bringing to sell, some LC Smith and Parker parts that I made. Along with some custom made dent raisers and some wood stock blanks.
Posted By: susjwp Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/18/19 12:09 PM
we are going for the first time. visitng family in rock hill and will drive up saturday to spend the day. i,ll bring my checkbook, although i suspect most there for sale is beyond my beer budget.
Posted By: KS16ga Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/18/19 01:47 PM
I will be attending my first Southern this year and look forward to it. I know I will end up coming home and selling some other guns to try to get one that I "must" have.
Posted By: eeb Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/18/19 08:41 PM
You won’t be disappointed.
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/18/19 08:54 PM
I will be attending also.
Posted By: Jent P Mitchell lll Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/19/19 02:20 AM
The Shooters Reception At The Flame April 26th 2019

Posted by Jent P Mitchell III on March 2, 2019, 7:53 pm
The Shooters Reception At The Flame Steakhouse on April 26th of 2019.

All Side by Side Shotgun Shooters are cordially invited to attend.....

A Virginia Vintager Sponsored Shooter's Reception at The Flame Steakhouse in Sanford, North Carolina during The Southern Side-By-Side Shoot of 2019.

Friday, April 26, 2019

Reception begins at 7:30 p.m.

$30 per person
(Heavy hors d’oeuvres, desserts and soft drinks)

R.S.V.P. by Tuesday, April 24th to Jent Mitchell (jent.mitchell@gmail.com) or 703-855-1110

Vintager attire or a sport coat and tie are suggested for this event.

Individuals will be financially responsible for their own adult beverages consumed.

The Flame Steakhouse
109 Carbonton Road
Sanford, North Carolina 27330
919-776-7111
http://www.theflamesteakhouse.com
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/19/19 07:24 PM
All my show stock shipped today and I look forward to seeing you all soon. I fly in on Tuesday, spend a day getting everything sorted with Bob Nay of MacNab Fine Firearms then drive down early on Thursday to start setting up, hopefully in time for the pump event crowd, full on for Friday morning!
Donald Dallas and J-P Daeschler (John Dickson & Son) get in late on Thursday but I doubt they will be fit for much more than sipping a good Malt until Friday morning!
We are all really excited about this years show and can't wait!
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/19/19 09:48 PM
I am looking forward to attending this year, but having purchased 3 guns already this year, I may be more of an observer this time around. As usual, I will shoot a couple of events with little or no chance of victory, but will enjoy the outing among numerous like-minded individuals.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/20/19 04:06 AM
I plan to be there.

DDA
Posted By: CptCurl Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/20/19 11:58 AM
I'll be there on Saturday.

Curl
Posted By: mark Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/21/19 01:31 AM
We will be in our usual spot in the big tent. Stop by and say hello!
Posted By: Chad Linder Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/21/19 03:27 AM
My 13-year-old son and I are now thinking about making the trip from Louisiana. He is on spring break and I think it would make a good father-son bonding trip.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/21/19 01:07 PM
I live there, and will be a volunteer trapper for Friday and part of Saturday. Also have some work to deliver, and more to pick up. I hope you all enjoy it and have safe travels.

Bill Graham
Posted By: rtw Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/21/19 01:17 PM
I'll be there Friday afternoon and Saturday.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/21/19 09:35 PM
Just wondering- was it a "Soggy Southern"? Heard some strong storms were moving up from FL into VA- right through the Deep River area-- Did they still shoot in the rain, as they do with the Masters Tournament in Augusta?? RWTF
Posted By: topgun Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/21/19 10:22 PM
You're a week early Fox, the Southern is this coming weekend (April 26-28). Projected weather predictions for the Southern are very favorable; but yes, the shooting events continue there whenever rain events occur.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/22/19 12:09 PM
Thanks- never have attended, but would love to- especially for the pumpgun events Friday, and the great Bluegrass music. Not really in the market for another scttergun, but it would be great to see some of the "eye candy" in the various dealer's tents.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/23/19 04:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Thanks- never have attended, but would love to- especially for the pumpgun events Friday, and the great Bluegrass music. Not really in the market for another scttergun, but it would be great to see some of the "eye candy" in the various dealer's tents.

---- and now a day late. Pump guns are to be shot on Thursday afternoon.

DDA
Posted By: DGM Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/23/19 11:38 AM
I'm looking forward to it. Should be fun as always.
Posted By: topgun Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/23/19 12:38 PM
To all attending the Southern and who would be interested in seeing some extremely rare L.C. Smith 20-bores, I encourage you to visit the L.C. Smith/Parker tent and check out the Smith gun display. Some of the featured guns on display this year are listed below and who knows when, or if such a display can be assembled again;

A3 28" Bbls Circa 1909 1 of 2
A2 26" Bbls Circa 1912 1 of 6
Premier 32" Bbls Circa 1928 1 of 5
Monogram 26" Bbls Circa 1915 1 of 8 (at 26" Bbls)
Crown 26" Bbls Circa 1922 1 of 41 (Presented to Lt. Commander Madison)
Field 28" Bbls circa 1919 1 of 1 (only 20 gauge in records shipped with Damascus Bbl & Steel Bbl)

Wishing everyone a safe trip and a great time during the event.
Thanks,
Tom - LCSCA
Posted By: eeb Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/23/19 02:12 PM
Any one of a kind “pre-production” variations to be displayed?
Posted By: topgun Re: Southern Side by Side event - 04/23/19 03:34 PM
Not to my knowledge, and although I've seen my share of unusual Smith guns; I'm not aware of any pre-production or prototype Smith guns. I've seen a display featuring variations of the Hunter One-Trigger, cut-away guns, guns with various additional internal frame cuts for lightening purposes, a variety of special ordered guns with features out of grade, and two 10-bore guns fabricated by Hunter's repair shop (one of which I own). The most unusual Smith gun I've personally seen is a repair shop gun. This gun started life as a rare C Grade Syracuse era 10-bore hammer gun with pistol grip. It's original owner, Charles Strawn, traveled around with the big shots of that period shooting his gun in competition. In 1893 he used the gun to win the grand prize at a big shoot in the mid-west, a B Grade Parker hammerless with Damascus barrels (verified by PGCA, and this Parker remains in the Strawn family). At some point after 1901 the barrels only of this hammer gun were returned to Hunter's repair shop and used as the basis for a "new" straight gripped Grade 2E ejector gun with optional HOT trigger. The Syracuse, New York address still remains atop the barrels and the original Syracuse era serial number was stamped on the water table of the new frame, which is grade stamped 2E. The C grade stamp on the barrel flats was over stamped "2".
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com