doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Run With The Fox strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 12:04 AM
Visited the area Gun Library today (3/15) to check out a 12 Parker DHE-- All their guns have the trigger locks in place. After a look-see, I asked the GL manager to pls. remove the trigger locks, so I could check for: safety function, trigger pulls and ejector function. "Sorry, Sir, but Bass Pro Shops policy is: We can only do this after you have purchased the gun>"

Can you believe this- no one I know in their right mind would buy a gun in that price range w/o doing what I wanted to do. RWTF--
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 12:09 AM
That's like a car dealer telling you that you can't get in a car, much less drive it around the block, before you buy it. You can look at it from the outside, but you can't "handle" it.

Absolutely ridiculous.

SRH
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 12:33 AM
That is an unusual policy, and it will be interesting to hear if all Bass Pro Shops are adhering to the same rules.

I can almost understand it from the standpoint of having endless tire-kickers coming in and repeatedly dry firing and slamming guns closed, etc. Not everyone handles a gun with care, or knows what they are doing, and more so if they don't own it. I suppose if the gun really interested me and we arrived at an agreeable price, we could also agree that I had the right of refusal if it didn't meet any of the usual function tests. Under the circumstances, I might ask for that guarantee in writing. For a gun like a DHE that would likely sell for several thou at a retail store if in nice condition, I'd ask for a 3 Day FIRING Function return policy. All they could do is say no, and I could then take my money elsewhere.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 12:45 AM
It is the policy at all of them. Take your money elsewhere.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: crs Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 01:06 AM
Is Bass Pro headed down the drain like Dicks?
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 02:35 AM
I'm no good at proof marks, Ted, but no problem picking up big-box political messages---as you do.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 03:24 AM
Can I check this gun out please...sure...can you remove the trigger lock please....sure...then the guy pulls a few shells out of his pocket....see where I'm going with this. the lawyers would love this scenario. The world has changed...get use to it. pretty much trying to avoid this scene from the Terminator.

https://youtu.be/BIPCn-aYMoM

Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 03:50 AM
I think some folks have the inability to see things.
Posted By: NTaxiarchis Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 03:59 AM
Some guy went the Bass Pro in Olathe Kansas, loaded a gun from the display and killed himself. Hence the gun locks. There is currently a plan in the works to allow removal of the trigger locks so customers can function check weapons with the weapon's muzzle secured in a clearing barrel. The ~15 step process promises to be a giant pain the neck.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 04:10 AM
I was at the machine gun store in vegas waiting outside the firing range with my kids to shoot. An older guy walks up, opens his gun case, pulls out a glock and starts loading a clip in the crowded public area. my son told him he shouldn't do that. he got irritated, said he can do what he wants and continued to load a clip. I brought it to the attention of the staff, who all carry, and two of them stopped him and made him lock his gun up again until he was in the range booth. he got even more irritated, that he couldn't load his gun in public...lol
Nonetheless, we had a great time, and seen him shooting a few rows down. A fun place for sure. my daughter shot best out of all of us, and did particularly well with the 9 mill handgun.
Posted By: TMair Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 05:41 AM
If this is at all Cabelas it must be new, last year i bought a Dickinson shotgun from Cabelas the guy let me dry fire it to check the trigger pull no problem.

Terry
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 11:23 AM
The DHE was, IMO- a "compromised" gun-- 28&1/2" barrels, ejector B'tail forearm would NOT release when the latch was tripped, most DHE's had the skeleton steel BP- this had a Mershon White Line pad- with a shortened LOP-- The manager told me the customer from whom they bought it- was "conned" into the belief that Larry Del Grego had refinished- wood, checking, barrel blue and case colours- the customer who unloaded the gun to GL-BPS took it "on the chin"-- they had it for sale at NOW- $4000-- formerly $5000 plus tax-- wow.

SN is 135XXX- according to the PGCA sn charts, aprox 1906-- When did Parker Bros. first offer the beavertail FE- 1920's-- and when did the Mershon White Line recoil pad become available??

Caveat Empetor??
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 12:14 PM
I looked at a Perazzi Mirage at a Cabelas two weeks ago...I slid the safety and the trigger group fell out onto the ground. The sales guy and I were both surprised!
Posted By: Chantry Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Visited the area Gun Library today (3/15) to check out a 12 Parker DHE-- All their guns have the trigger locks in place. After a look-see, I asked the GL manager to pls. remove the trigger locks, so I could check for: safety function, trigger pulls and ejector function. "Sorry, Sir, but Bass Pro Shops policy is: We can only do this after you have purchased the gun>"

Can you believe this- no one I know in their right mind would buy a gun in that price range w/o doing what I wanted to do. RWTF--

Simple corporate legal logic: It is better to lose a sale then it is to lose a lawsuit.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 07:46 PM
Originally Posted By: dal
Can I check this gun out please...sure...can you remove the trigger lock please....sure...then the guy pulls a few shells out of his pocket....see where I'm going with this. the lawyers would love this scenario. The world has changed...get use to it. pretty much trying to avoid this scene from the Terminator.

https://youtu.be/BIPCn-aYMoM

No dla (sic), the world hasn't changed much at all. Sick demented killers have always found creative ways to kill large numbers of people.

Here's a link to one of the worst massacres in U.S. history, the March 25, 1990 Happyland Dance Club murders. 87 people were killed and 6 injured when a jealous man used about $1.00 worth of gasoline to ignite an arson fire at a NYC Dance Club

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/back-fatal-happy-land-fire-25-years-gallery-1.2161895

Or how about we go back further and look at the worst school massacre in U.S. history where a custodian planted bombs in a school in Bath Township, Michigan on May 18, 1927. 44 people were killed including 38 students, and many more were injured.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/1...acre-180963355/

The real problem here is that Liberal Left lawmakers will insist that corporations selling firearms, like Cabelas, should be held legally responsible for unpredictable acts of murderers, but they wouldn't wish to hold Exxon-Mobil responsible because an arsonist/murderer pumped gas from an unlocked gas pump to secure his weapon of choice. The same Liberal Left lawmakers will fight tooth and nail to stop the death penalty for an arsonist/murderer, and fight even harder to permit late term abortions of babies. When you get your logic and ideas from an Arnold Schwartznegger film, the results are predictable. So should Orion Pictures be held liable for producing the Terminator movie and giving killers inspiration?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 09:27 PM
Well said, keith. Very well said.

SRH
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 09:59 PM
Hang on guys, dal is just wants the world to be a safer place. Trigger locks, get used to them, and there's more to come. Never mind that they apparently come off, legally. See what I mean, and pass the popcorn.
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/16/19 10:42 PM
Yes, keith. The world would be a better place if there were no liberals.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 12:28 AM
Originally Posted By: King Brown
Yes, keith. The world would be a better place if there were no liberals.

Let's for once face reality King. The Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop policy in this thread, and the recent decision by Dick's Sporting Goods to cease sales of all hunting gear doesn't come because of pro-gun Conservatives. This is a result of Liberalism and Liberal Left attitudes.

It's also time to face up to the reality that gun owners who support Liberal Left Democrats are by direct association supporting further assaults on the gun rights of law abiding citizens. They are also supporting a system of tort-law that would permit lawsuits that would bankrupt Sporting Goods stores and Firearms manufacturers if some nutter loaded a gun he was looking at and started killing people. Dick's policy to stop selling AR-15's after the Newtown shooting was a result of a Liberal CEO bowing to pressure from Liberal Left Democrats. Now they are stopping sales of all guns and hunting gear.

Never mind that far more teens die as a result of texting while driving vs. school shootings. Never mind that more people are murdered annually here in the Wild West USA by hammers than by rifles of all types. Never mind that over 70,000 people died in 2017 in the U.S from opiate overdoses, and Liberal Democrats refuse to adequately fund Border Security.

Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:28 AM
you seriously need help dude!
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:03 AM
Correct, keith. Easy to pick up on big-business political messages. It would be perfect world if there were no people. Look what they're doing with condoms: the US fertility rate has been falling for the last seven years. The population would be declining without immigration.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:16 AM
oh keet...better start procreating! OMG....sheik is an Arab word....nooooooooo...better start protesting anyone that sells those condoms...yikes the sky is falling!The Arabs are controlling the world population with their condoms.....

seriously dude you need help, and the psych prof and students looking at your posts agree. keep up the good work... wink
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:26 AM
oh keet...better start procreating! OMG....sheik is an Arab word....nooooooooo...better start protesting anyone that sells those condoms...yikes the sky is falling!The Arabs are controlling the world population with their condoms.....

seriously dude you need help, and the psych prof and students looking at your posts agree. keep up the good work... wink

It would be perfect world if there were no people.

We’ll start with the Canadians.

Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:26 AM
King, RWTF's topic is concerned with the wacky policies driven by Liberals that drive corporations like Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops to restrict customers from function testing a firearm before purchase. It clearly isn't driven by pro-gun Conservatives.

Please stop trying to change the subject to divert attention away from the root cause of this policy.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:35 AM
The root cause is lawyers that want to capitalize monetarily at every avenue posible and prey on vulnerable victims families. Unfortunately that has caused cabelas to put gun locks on their guns.

But go ahead keet....blame the liberals for EVERYTHING bad in America.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:41 AM
The root cause is lawyers...

It would be a perfect world if there were no lawyers.

Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:52 AM
What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean....a good start...figuratively speaking of course...don't want to get sued.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:53 AM
The root cause cited by dla(sic) above is absurd, and is driven by being rooted in Liberalism. There were no lawsuits or greedy lawyers behind the decision of Dick's Sporting Goods to first stop selling AR-15's, and to recently make the decision to stop selling all hunting related gear. It was Liberal Left Democrats who were 100% against the reforms in the 2005 Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act that prevented endless frivolous lawsuits from driving up the cost of guns and ammo and bankrupting Gun Manufacturers. Bankrupting the Industry was the stated goal of the Liberal Left anti-gunners. Not Conservatives!

dla(sic) has an inability to follow the dots, and is now accusing me of blaming Liberals for everything bad in America. Liberalism does cause a lot of problems, but that accusation is as silly as dla(sic). It is undeniable that the vast majority of infringements upon the 2nd Amendment comes directly from the Liberal Left Democrats.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:58 AM
There were no lawsuits or greedy lawyers behind the decision of Dick's Sporting Goods to first stop selling ar-15's,

So if Dick is a libertard...doesn't he have the legal right of any American to control his business? or should all businesses be controlled by Republican views? very un American of you keet.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 04:32 AM
Are you really that dumb dla(sic)? Scratch that... we already know the answer.

But perhaps you can show us where I said that Republican views should control private business. We have the right to continue to shop at Dick's, and we have the right to take our business to Sporting Goods Stores that respect gun rights and hunting traditions. But we can no longer buy guns or hunting gear at Dick's because they are run by Liberal dicks.

Again, that policy and the locked trigger policy of Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops is driven by the Liberal Left... not by pro-gun Conservatives.

Don't forget to show us where I said that private businesses should be regulated to adhere to Republican views. We can't have you dodging your absurd and silly and false statements as you so frequently do.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 04:47 AM
its unfortunate that you have lost the intellect to understand what you are saying.

Your right again keet. I'm wrong.
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 05:20 AM
Years since I looked, lonesome, but there was a time that births were lowest in Canadian provinces with most Roman Catholic population; I believe similarly in some of Europe i.e. Italy and France. Pope liberal or conservative notwithstanding, it's those liberal condoms, eh? The liberal lawmakers made it that way. They're everywhere, in Dick's and bedrooms of our nations.
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 05:44 AM
....The liberal lawmakers made it that way....

King, libs used to have lawmakers, but can you think of a progressive that is capable of legislation. You haven't been reading dal's gems have you? If a progressive wants something, they run to the courts, eh?
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 06:04 AM
craigd, King is too busy, as usual, attempting to divert attention away from his precious Liberals and Liberalism as being behind the vast majority of anti-gun policies, infringements, legislation, and lawsuits.

He's been doing the same thing here for many years now. It is very important to King (and dla(sic) to try to hide the truth. Fox's thread here loses all meaning if we don't open our eyes and take a long hard look at what is behind Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop's trigger locking-no function testing policy.
Posted By: Goillini Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 10:17 AM
Two points. First, a lawyer always has to have a client. Second, the ABA and most trial lawyer associations lean heavily to the left and support liberal politicians because most liberal politicians are against tort reform i.e. limits on damages for pain and suffering, loser pays the winner's legal fees, etc.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 11:02 AM
The liberal lawmakers made it that way. They're everywhere, in Dick's and bedrooms of our nations.

No doubt, King. But a good number of them convert to conservatism sometime in their 50’s.

Gotta run. Time for church.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Goillini
Two points. First, a lawyer always has to have a client. Second, the ABA and most trial lawyer associations lean heavily to the left and support liberal politicians because most liberal politicians are against tort reform i.e. limits on damages for pain and suffering, loser pays the winner's legal fees, etc.

I was waiting for someone to point this out. Resistance to tort reform?

Solidly lefty lawyers.

End of story.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 01:51 PM

perhaps who ever runs dicks thought it was unconscionable to be the source of some mass murderer's weapons, and decided to stop selling them.

Perhaps some money cruncher convinced them that the space used by dicks to sell guns, could be made more profitable by selling other items with a higher profit margin.

Perhaps dicks wanted to change their appearance as a 'hunting' store, and broaden their customer base and be known more now as an outdoor enthusiasts store.

Perhaps there are other non political reasons for their decision.
I'm willing to concede I was wrong... are you keet?

Thought so.

Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Solidly lefty lawyers.

End of story.

Best,
Ted

My provincial government is considering putting a $37.0000 deductible on any injury lawsuit under a hundred grand to dissuade anyone that stubs their toe on the sidewalk or on private property, from running to a lawyer. I would support that.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Solidly lefty lawyers.

End of story.

Best,
Ted

My provincial government is considering putting a $37.0000 deductible on any injury lawsuit under a hundred grand to dissuade anyone that stubs their toe on the sidewalk or on private property, from running to a lawyer. I would support that.

My local populace is becoming solidly convinced that the only way to bring our federal government back in compliance with it’s responsibility and the law is a constitution of states. It is gaining ground.
Should be a bloodless revolution, but, no promises.

Watch for it.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:13 PM
The message of most ministries today was tolerance and mercy. My musing accommodates with levity keith's scapegoating of those he doesn't agree with. Picking at scabs that divide us is not what we're expected to do.
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:14 PM
A very similar conversation about Dicks is taking place right now on another forum I frequent. I might have a little insight on this topic.

My career was mostly spent selling brand name sporting goods (hardgoods and footwear mostly) to retail sporting goods stores, big and small. Also department stores and other generalists. I've done business with everyone from Walmart, Sears, Footlocker and Penny down to tiny golf pro shops, and every type of retailer in between. And to my upcoming point, general sporting goods chains like Dicks. Now, I never did business specifically with Dicks but I did with both Sport Authority and Sport Mart as well as some very large Canadian retailers. SM & SA led the charge into "Big Box" sporting goods retailing. Dicks followed. Please note, SA and SM are long gone from the retail scene. There is a reason for that.

Dicks is in a battle for survival and not winning. Like most generalists they do a lot of different things badly and few things well. They win by location/quantity of stores along with buying power. They hope those two things will make up for all the things they don't do well. In any particular category, they usually get their asses handed to them by smaller, more focused and nimble competitors. They are typically terrible at managing inventory, training staff and personalized service.

While they may have publicly attributed political reasoning to their discontinuation of certain types of firearms, personally I call BS on that. I'd bet they thought they would be gaining some positive PR with some segment they want to attract and so used an action they were likely going to take at some point anyway. It is much more likely their whole shooting and hunting hard goods category (actual guns and ammo, not clothing) is under performing. It takes some serious balls in an organization like that to dump a well performing category. It's just not done. They can't afford to.

If they are completely shutting down the firearms departments in 125 stores it is because those departments are losing significant amounts of money, they can't see a way to turn it around and they think they can restock that area with merchandise that will perform better.

What's happened is that the ascendancy of anti-firearms thought, as propagated by the liberal left, has given them cover, and potentially a benefit, for publicizing a fiscal decision they would have taken at some point anyway. And for that, I blame hunters and shooters who have either behaved as Fudds over the last 30 years and ignored encroaching guns laws because "they won't affect me" or those who actively support Liberal politicians who are clearly anti gun. And I blame hunters and gun owners who have allowed themselves to become embarrassed by their activity....who have accepted the idea that what they do should be hidden.

Not everything is a conspiracy against us. Usually this sort of thing is simple economics. In this specific case with Dick's, I think it's the passive result of the liberal left's anti gun efforts, not an active part of it.
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:22 PM
Don't worry, soon someone will be along to lift the veil for you and help connect the dots of the great conspiracy. He may even show you a crimson blood trail in fresh snow....right after he catches his horse and puts him back in the barn. Hope you are well James.
Steve
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:22 PM

perhaps who ever runs dicks thought it was unconscionable to be the source of some mass murderer's weapons, and decided to stop selling them.

Should the car makers be held responsible when some unbalanced nutbar runs down and kills 10 people in Toronto last year? Should the girls who wouldn't have sex with him??

The problem is not the guns. They never kill anyone. It is however, partially a problem of too many lawyers looking for a way to cash in. And has been noted, like journalists and teachers, the majority fall on the left side of the equation. It's where their bread is buttered.....helping to remove the concept of personal responsibility for one's actions as a consideration.
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
Don't worry, soon someone will be along to lift the veil for you and help connect the dots of the great conspiracy. He may even show you a crimson blood trail in fresh snow....right after he catches his horse and puts him back in the barn. Hope you are well James.
Steve

Always good Steve. Just trying to enjoy the coming spring and double guns.
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:25 PM

Gotta love Ford Nation!!!!
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:27 PM
Spring....maybe some day, currently cleaning up after the last bomb cyclone. They say it was lowest pressure system ever measured here in CO. I only picked up 18" of snow but the power was out almost a full day. Nothing compared to the snow I had in the early 2000's, after it settled we had 5&1/2' from a single storm.
Steve
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: craigd
....The liberal lawmakers made it that way....

King, libs used to have lawmakers, but can you think of a progressive that is capable of legislation. You haven't been reading dal's gems have you? If a progressive wants something, they run to the courts, eh?

Quoted for accuracy. The Left's advances since the 1960's have come from court rulings, not the laws passed by elected officials. That's why they are carting around RBG's almost lifeless corpse, trying to delay Trump getting another kick at the can.
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:30 PM
....My provincial government is considering putting a $37.0000 deductible on any injury lawsuit under a hundred grand to dissuade anyone that stubs their toe on the sidewalk or on private property, from running to a lawyer. I would support that.

Okay dal, tough as it might be, I admit that you're wrong.

Your province isn't over serious about frivolous suits, eh, particularly if we're talking $37 Canadian. What happens if you substitute deductible for trigger lock? All you have to do is ask, and they knock the thirty-seven bucks off? How's your liabilty insurance rates doing, do these things actually make it to court?

Me thinks, for a hundred percent commission on the first 37K, your progressive lawyers are welcoming the the new capitlist climate that you would support, eh? Can't you hear it now, hey dal, I know we talked about getting you a couple of million for stubbing your toe on the sidewalk in front of the mosque, but we're gonna settle for $37,002.
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:33 PM
I'm 25 degrees going to the high 30's today with bright sunshine and a week's worth of better weather forecasted ahead. All traces of snow and ice should be gone by Thursday. We didn't have a ton of snow but we had a lot of freeze/thaw cycles so in many places, like my yard, its not snow on the ground but a number of inches of solid ice. Will have been a tough winter for turkey around here.
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:37 PM
My MO is different from looking to courts and legislators for social justice. Our woodland owner organization is comprised of conservatives, liberals and everything in between. When legislatures don't represent the will of the people, we make new policy from a popular will; we organize a community of interest.

Our provincial government delegated all private lands responsibilities to our organization, arguably the most radical institutional change on the continent. We're fastest-growing in sustainable forestry in Canada, to the world's most responsible standard, and third and fourth in growth and size in North America.

So, yes, this "progressive" action comes from a shared interest of conservatives, liberals, socialists and the politically unattached. Give people a break, tell the truth, and they work together, harmoniously and productively. Key is peerless communications, cooperation and no side games.
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:39 PM
The message of most ministries today was tolerance and mercy. My musing accommodates with levity keith's scapegoating of those he doesn't agree with. Picking at scabs that divide us is not what we're expected to do.

Your ministry of levity is deceptive but telling. If anything is to be picked, isn't it membership to the church of the left?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:40 PM
To Canvasbacks point, I used to get some hunting stuff, including ammo, at Dick's in Danbury, CT, which is 10 min. from Newtown, CT.
Even before the Newton shooting I would have to fight through the crowds in golf, tennis, team sports, and general sportswear, to get to the hunting section in the rear. Where I could wander for 15-20 minutes before finding a sales rep to get me some ammo. The interest just wasn't there.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:44 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
A very similar conversation about Dicks is taking place right now on another forum I frequent. I might have a little insight on this topic.

My career was mostly spent selling brand name sporting goods (hardgoods and footwear mostly) to retail sporting goods stores, big and small. Also department stores and other generalists. I've done business with everyone from Walmart, Sears, Footlocker and Penny down to tiny golf pro shops, and every type of retailer in between. And to my upcoming point, general sporting goods chains like Dicks. Now, I never did business specifically with Dicks but I did with both Sport Authority and Sport Mart as well as some very large Canadian retailers. SM & SA led the charge into "Big Box" sporting goods retailing. Dicks followed. Please note, SA and SM are long gone from the retail scene. There is a reason for that.

Dicks is in a battle for survival and not winning. Like most generalists they do a lot of different things badly and few things well. They win by location/quantity of stores along with buying power. They hope those two things will make up for all the things they don't do well. In any particular category, they usually get their asses handed to them by smaller, more focused and nimble competitors. They are typically terrible at managing inventory, training staff and personalized service.

While they may have publicly attributed political reasoning to their discontinuation of certain types of firearms, personally I call BS on that. I'd bet they thought they would be gaining some positive PR with some segment they want to attract and so used an action they were likely going to take at some point anyway. It is much more likely their whole shooting and hunting hard goods category (actual guns and ammo, not clothing) is under performing. It takes some serious balls in an organization like that to dump a well performing category. It's just not done. They can't afford to.

If they are completely shutting down the firearms departments in 125 stores it is because those departments are losing significant amounts of money, they can't see a way to turn it around and they think they can restock that area with merchandise that will perform better.

What's happened is that the ascendancy of anti-firearms thought, as propagated by the liberal left, has given them cover, and potentially a benefit, for publicizing a fiscal decision they would have taken at some point anyway. And for that, I blame hunters and shooters who have either behaved as Fudds over the last 30 years and ignored encroaching guns laws because "they won't affect me" or those who actively support Liberal politicians who are clearly anti gun. And I blame hunters and gun owners who have allowed themselves to become embarrassed by their activity....who have accepted the idea that what they do should be hidden.

Not everything is a conspiracy against us. Usually this sort of thing is simple economics. In this specific case with Dick's, I think it's the passive result of the liberal left's anti gun efforts, not an active part of it.

Good answer CB. I would only add to that the declining number of hunting and shooting enthusiasts. If dicks has a twenty year plan.... they may be on the right path. My kids are far from being left wingers, nor do they have a passion to hunt, although they will go with me if given the chance. I don't think the lack of hunting enthusiasm, is directly related to any leftist political ideology, they would just rather do something else.
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:49 PM
....Our woodland owner organization is comprised of conservatives, liberals and everything in between....

You offend me yet again. Isn't there room under your tent for the less fortunate? Yes, we know how exclusive clubs purchase their influence, but what message does that send to persons of colour and the recreational drug addicted?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:52 PM
Location, location, location is the reason for Dicks decisions. They have many stores in locations which long gun demand is very, very low. Their one market plan fits all stores, has never worked well. Like having almost all freshwater fishing supplies when the store is ten mile or less from the Atlantic Ocean and 99% of demand is for saltwater fishing equipment. Or having long guns in a urban or suburban area with almost no interest in them. And people who want guns will hit the internet to find them, not walk into Dicks and look around.

Then on top of that guns and ammo are very low margin lines. If your 10-25% line is not selling, giving you few inventory turnovers a year, you can not afford to let money just sit there not earning you a return. So you reduce your guns and add more clothes which have twice or more the margin. Plus you can merchandise a 100 square foot area in clothes for a few hundred dollars investment where in gun that might be thousands of dollars. And clothes give you four plus turn overs a year, at a higher margin, than guns which will struggle to turn over once or twice a year at a very thin margin. Bottom line is that you can make a lot more money on clothes than guns. If that was not the case the clothes in Cabella's would be gone and the guns everywhere.
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:52 PM
....I don't think the lack of hunting enthusiasm, is directly related to any leftist political ideology, they would just rather do something else.

You mean, they like to do the stuff that their teachers and professors hammer into their heads?
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:52 PM
Dal, I think "lack of hunting enthusiasm" is directly tied to the Left's efforts to vilify gun ownership and hunting. It's not the only thing....participation by kids in all outdoor activities is down as people have allowed electronic screens to do their parenting for them.

I'm just in process of organizing 4 people to take their PAL/RPAL course in April as the first step to getting them afield. All adults, all with a latent interest for many years but the hurdles have put them off. That is no accident.
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Location, location, location is the reason for Dicks decisions. They have many stores in locations which long gun demand is very, very low. Their one market plan fits all stores, has never worked well. Like having almost all freshwater fishing supplies when the store is ten mile or less from the Atlantic Ocean and 99% of demand is for saltwater fishing equipment. Or having long guns in a urban or suburban area with almost no interest in them. And people who want guns will hit the internet to find them, not walk into Dicks and look around.

Then on top of that guns and ammo are very low margin lines. If your 10-25% line is not selling, giving you few inventory turnovers a year, you can not afford to let money just sit there not earning you a return. So you reduce your guns and add more clothes which have twice or more the margin. Plus you can merchandise a 100 square foot area in clothes for a few hundred dollars investment where in gun that might be thousands of dollars. And clothes give you four plus turn overs a year, at a higher margin, than guns which will struggle to turn over once or twice a year at a very thin margin. Bottom line is that you can make a lot more money on clothes than guns. If that was not the case the clothes in Cabella's would be gone and the guns everywhere.

Exactly
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:02 PM

Should the car makers be held responsible when some unbalanced nutbar runs down and kills 10 people in Toronto last year? Should the girls who wouldn't have sex with him??

The problem is not the guns. They never kill anyone. It is however, partially a problem of too many lawyers looking for a way to cash in. And has been noted, like journalists and teachers, the majority fall on the left side of the equation. It's where their bread is buttered.....helping to remove the concept of personal responsibility for one's actions as a consideration.

I was thinking more of a personal conscience. Look at your family, grandkids etc.... then open your doors the next day and sell some guy a couple AR'S and a bunch of ammo.... might be hard to live with...
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:14 PM
[quote=dal]

Gotta love Ford Nation!!!! [/quote)

Actually, it was Kathleen Wynne..... believe it or not.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:16 PM
Originally Posted By: craigd
....My provincial government is considering putting a $37.0000 deductible on any injury lawsuit under a hundred grand to dissuade anyone that stubs their toe on the sidewalk or on private property, from running to a lawyer. I would support that.

Okay dal, tough as it might be, I admit that you're wrong.

Your province isn't over serious about frivolous suits, eh, particularly if we're talking $37 Canadian. What happens if you substitute deductible for trigger lock? All you have to do is ask, and they knock the thirty-seven bucks off? How's your liabilty insurance rates doing, do these things actually make it to court?

Me thinks, for a hundred percent commission on the first 37K, your progressive lawyers are welcoming the the new capitlist climate that you would support, eh? Can't you hear it now, hey dal, I know we talked about getting you a couple of million for stubbing your toe on the sidewalk in front of the mosque, but we're gonna settle for $37,002.

Sorry, that was Thirty-seven thousand dollars. Now minus the lawyer's take, people will think twice about running to an ambulance chaser.
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:17 PM
Less fortunate is why woodlot owners organized. Political parties had no interest. Under the big corporations, woodlot owners/farmers were either giving their wood or labour away. People of colour and drug-addicted sit on boards and vote like everyone else. The exclusive club days are over. Now we're the club in more ways than one. And why not? We own the land. It's most unintelligent and old-fashioned to let anyone crap on our heads.
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:38 PM
[quote=dal]

Gotta love Ford Nation!!!! [/quote)

Actually, it was Kathleen Wynne..... believe it or not.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. LOL

I am surprised to hear Orville Redenbacher initiated this.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:44 PM
Trying to curb the thousands of lawsuits against cities/local governments. Of course the millions saved would go to government housing and windmills...lol
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 03:57 PM
Trying to curb the thousands of lawsuits against cities/local governments. Of course the millions saved would go to....

Curbed and saved, don't you mean invested? Aren't progressives just entitled to the redistribution so they can engineer the culture that they feel like you need? Don't worry, these lawsuits are in the budget, how else can they govern? Lol, eh?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 04:00 PM
Wow! I can't believe I'm reading a political thread and no one has been personally threatened, humiliated, cursed, or dehumanized.

Well, those nasty lawyers are taking it on the chin, but they likely deserve it anyway. It is nice to see our dysfunctional little family disagreeing and stating the reasons for their side of the argument in a civil manner.

As for me, I'm not buying anything from a store named Dicks...Geo
Posted By: GLS Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 04:02 PM
The historically bad reputation of lawyers goes back to the time of Shakespeare (Let's kill all the lawyers" in Bill Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2.) when William Shaksepeare and Melvin of Belli had a parking dispute in front of the Globe Theatre which both men had tickets to see a Henry (“Hank”) the Williams, Jr. concert. Melvin was a local lawyer who scooted his vehicle front-ways into the space that William was backing into. Hot words were exchanged and Shakespeare had a better PR man and audience than Melvin ,who should have known better to fight with someone who has squads of Mead-drunken actors and screenwriters who can get the word out. Edited from the above quote over time was the line: “That fat bastard stole my parking place.” Everyone should know that the biggest problem in today’s society is caused by improperly sized footwear foisted upon the unsuspecting public by the military industrial footwear complex (take that, cb.). Geo, back me up on this. It’s all I have. Gil
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 04:07 PM
["Geo, back me up on this. It’s all I have. Gil"]

Sorry Gil, I'm afraid we're dead meat here...Geo

I just want to go back to the civil war/cornbread thread and change the subject to something relevant like whether Richard the Third got a bad rap from the Tudors and ended up buried in a sack under a grocery store parking lot, when he was really an alright guy.
Posted By: canvasback Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 04:09 PM
Hilarious! grin

Doesn't change the fact that Bill was right. laugh
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Wow! I can't believe I'm reading a political thread and no one has been personally threatened, humiliated, cursed, or dehumanized.

Well, those nasty lawyers are taking it on the chin, but they likely deserve it anyway. It is nice to see our dysfunctional little family disagreeing and stating the reasons for their side of the argument in a civil manner.

As for me, I'm not buying anything from a store named Dicks...Geo

jOe likely has had a new straight jacket fitted. Hasn’t had time to wiggle out of it just yet.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 04:52 PM
Oh,oh
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 05:28 PM
Well, this thread took a predictable turn. There have been over 40 posts made since there has been any mention of the original topic of locking guns and prohibiting function checks at Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops. But remember, some say I am the one who is the cause of the majority of thread diversions here.

It started with dla's(sic) silly conjectures intended to use everything but facts to convince folks that it wasn't Liberalism that was behind Dick's decision to stop selling AR15's first, and now all hunting gear.

The later assertion by someone else that AR15's were probably not profitable and were probably on the chopping block long before is just as silly. The decision was made while Obama was in office, and AR15's were selling like air conditioners in a heat wave. Manufacturers couldn't meet demand and semi-autos and the ammunition to feed them was selling out everywhere at inflated prices. This situation got even worse, (or better for manufacturers and sellers), after Liberal Democrats threatened new gun restrictions after Newtown.

Dick's Sporting Goods has been in business since 1948, and has sold guns and hunting gear since the beginning. Isn't it funny that it took all these years, up until the 2013 Newtown shooting, to discover that guns and ammunition and hunting gear is not as profitable as clothing? Hunting has always been more seasonable, with higher sales in the fall and winter months. But guys who came to Dick's for guns and gear before and during hunting seasons then were more likely to come back and buy golf clubs, fishing lures, and tennis balls in spring and summer. I'd also bet that Chinese golf shirts are more profitable and move faster than expensive clubs. But the observations that kids just don't participate in any outdoor activities anymore should mean that Dick's and Cabelas would be much smarter to stop selling golf gear or tennis racquets, and just start selling Nintendo's, PlayStation's, cell phones, and virtual reality goggles.

Actually, when you enact a Liberal Left policy to stop selling certain guns, and shooters and hunters realize that you don't really like them, they begin to shop elsewhere. The natural result is that they also no longer buy your shotguns, bolt action rifles, ammunition, duck calls, or hunting coats. Some here would have us all forget that many sportsmen started to boycott Dick's after their Liberal CEO decided to stop selling AR15's. I haven't set foot in a Dick's Store since then, and never will. Shooting and hunting was a profitable part of Dick's game since 1948. They literally shot themselves in the foot by enacting a Liberal policy. Whether they can prosper after driving away many of their former customers remains to be seen. I won't help them win.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 05:29 PM
I noticed jOe is no longer listed as a user here. Probably another short term suspension...Geo
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 05:29 PM
Your right.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 05:36 PM
Then we have this foolishness:

King is still on his crusade to convince everyone that we must all remain as friends in one Big Tent of gun owners and shooters.

He wants everyone to forget that it is people like him that support the Liberal Left politicians who are the greatest threat to our guns and our sport.

None of you would hire a known pedophile to babysit your kids or grandkids. None of you would bring termites into a wood framed house. But King wants you all to believe that it is OK to support politicians with 100% anti-gun voting records. He wants you to embrace him and his kind so they can more easily stab us all in the backs. He wants you to say it is OK to vote for the man or woman who is most likely to gut the 2nd Amendment.

EDIT: New Zealand had Universal Background Checks and Universal Gun Registration. That didn't stop the mass shooting in Christchurch. Guess what's coming next for gun owner there? It won't be a repeal of ineffective Universal Gun Registration.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 05:49 PM
Right again keet. Not sure why anyone should post anything more on this thread as anyone else's comments are incorrect.
New 'off topics' titles should always end with....just give us the definitive answer keet
Not sure why Dave just doesn't give you your own forum, that way all of us here can just ask you the question... and you can give all of us the right answer.... eh?
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 05:56 PM
dla(sic), do you see what you are doing, or are you too far gone?

As far as you are concerned, no matter what I post, it is wrong. Always have been, always will be wrong. Not only wrong, but mentally sick too. You even have your fictional Psychology prof and his students to back you up in that assertion.

So should we ask you the same question? Should Dave just give you and King your own forum to always give us the right answer, and lock that forum to any opposing thought? It seems like that's what you and the Libtards here all want... eh?

Like it or not, it isn't Republicans or Conservatism that is behind Cabela's/ Bass Pro Shop's policy to lock triggers and prohibit function testing of firearms. You were the one who brought up the Terminator scenario, and possibility of crippling lawsuits. It isn't Conservatives who wish to hold corporations responsible for the unpredictable acts of a mentally ill killer. That comes from Liberal Left anti-gunners.

But you and King can't stomach the truth.

Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 06:02 PM
Your right. Fictional.... no. You are a great internet specimen apparently.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 06:07 PM
Again you run away from my questions and the truth dla(sic).
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 06:20 PM
Actually I gave several possibilities for dicks actions, and so have others...you give one.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 06:31 PM
OK, how about if we say that illegal aliens from outer space used mind control to make Dick's CEO stop selling AR15's, and then stop selling all hunting gear? The same space aliens installed trigger locks at Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops. They did it to steer mankind toward a path of peace and harmony so that we can then evolve to a higher plane and commune with more advanced alien species. And they don't want us polluting other planets with lead shot.

There. We can go with fiction stories and bullshit... or we can go with facts. Conservatives are not the driving force behind anti-gun efforts, policies, or laws. But Liberal Left Democrats are, and they brag about it and talk about it, and make campaign promises to do more of it. But you and King can keep right on pushing the bullshit and lies.

I see that you are still going to run away from the questions I asked, and pivot to something else. Nothing new there. Ask your fictional Psychology prof why you are afraid of simple questions.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 06:45 PM
"Conservatives are not the driving force behind anti-gun efforts, policies, or laws. But Liberal Left Democrats are, and they brag about it and talk about it, and make campaign promises to do more of it."

Better sit down keet....I 99% agree with you on the above statement. But I'm sure there are a few pro gun control republicans out there.
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 07:38 PM
Fear doesn't look good on you, keith. We live in our countries as big tents. This forum is a big tent. Life isn't so simple that ridding ourselves of liberals would make the world you want to live in.

No country on earth exemplifies the spirit and vitality of the "melting pot" as the United States of America. When leaders stray from democratic values, a sovereign people of conservatives and liberals shows them the door.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 07:43 PM
You are absolutely right dla(sic). I have never said that ALL infringements come from anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats. But the vast majority do. And some foolish gun owners continue to support that with their votes. I just received a reply from my Republican Senator about an email I sent him concerning his recent support for Universal Background checks. I sent it even though I know Trump will veto it should it pass the House and Senate. He also sided with Obama and Biden on the same thing after Newtown.

As a result of his stand, I did not vote for him in his last re-election bid, and I campaigned against him. I continue to contact him to show that his support for infringements on my rights have cost him my vote. In his earlier reply to me, he cited several mass shootings and the annual death toll from all guns in the U.S. Those numbers include accidents, suicides, police shootings, justifiable self defense shootings, and gang shootings by repeat offenders who should not be out on parole or probation.

So I asked him this... if he is so concerned about crime and deaths, why is he not so concerned about opiate overdoses which cause over twice as many deaths???... or medical mistakes which cause twice as many deaths??? Why does he want to restrict access to rifles which in total are used in less murders than hammers??? Why is he not sponsoring legislation to stop teens from texting while driving since many many more teens die from that than from school shootings???

We've seen that Universal Checks and Registration did not prevent the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand. One of the many questions I asked that you run away from was, what do you think will be the next step from Liberal lawmakers there? Do you think they will admit their Universal Registration failed to prevent a mass shooting? Or do you think that Universal Registration will be used as a tool to ensure the guns they ban will be rounded up and melted down, and those who don't comply will go to prison?

In short, I do not support anti-gunners. I do not support those who infringe upon my rights when I know mentally ill killers will always find creative ways to kill. And I do not embrace those who stab us in the back by supporting and voting for politicians who push for anti-gun laws and policies like those at Dick's or Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops.

So until you can show us that the vast majority of anti-gun laws, restrictions, infringements, and sentiment comes from Conservatives, and not from Liberals, I will have to conclude that guys like you and King wish to hide the truth and the facts. And that is why some here will continue to try to get rid of me. The truth is their enemy. It is King that is showing fear that he and his kind might get booted out of the Big Tent for betraying those within. And it is high time they did get booted out. Ignoring the problems they cause is like ignoring early cancer symptoms until it spreads. Gentlemen and honorable men are not afraid of the truth.

Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 08:01 PM
I'll grant you're a gentleman and honourable man, as you say, keith. It's the first time I've heard a member describe himself in that way. It's important to recognize those qualities when you feel them. Otherwise, others wouldn't know the good when they see it.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 08:14 PM
I'll grant you're a gentleman and honourable man, as you say, keith. It's the first time I've heard a member describe himself in that way. It's important to recognize those qualities when you feel them. Otherwise, others wouldn't know the good when they see it.

When I used those word King, I wasn't thinking of myself at all. I was thinking of you and how you attempt to portray yourself here. You've done all you can for years now to portray me as anything but honorable or gentlemanly. So don't go contradicting yourself now. And me truthful??? Hell, you accused me of lying to cover up your own lies... even after I posted a QUOTE from you proving that you were the one who was lying.

That's pretty powerful stuff coming from a guy who says he's never even seen a trace of anti-gun sentiment here... even when he and his friend are QUOTED verbatim calling for bans and restrictions, and attempting to say that our Individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms was not in the Framer's minds, but was a recent fraud and fabrication by the NRA and Conservatives on the Supreme Court.

It would be more productive if you could accurately and truthfully refute anything I said.

By the way, I can't help noticing that you aren't at all concerned about homeless jOe apparently getting booted out of our DoubleGunShop Big Tent. Yet you cried like a baby for days when AmarilloMike started his pledge drives to get rid of your fellow anti-gun troll Ed Good.

Too bad the concerted effort to get rid of jOe wasn't directed toward Trolls like you and Ed. Maybe you'd like to address that bit of hypocrisy as well.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 08:15 PM
We live in our countries as big tents. This forum is a big tent.

I can recognize a big top when I see one, King.

Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 09:06 PM
So I asked him this... if he is so concerned about crime and deaths, why is he not so concerned about opiate overdoses which cause over twice as many deaths???... or medical mistakes which cause twice as many deaths??? Why does he want to restrict access to rifles which in total are used in less murders than hammers??? Why is he not sponsoring legislation to stop teens from texting while driving since many many more teens die from that than from school shootings???

Your right about the above. I usually use the drunk driving death stats myself.

We've seen that Universal Checks and Registration did not prevent the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand. One of the many questions I asked that you run away from was, what do you think will be the next step from Liberal lawmakers there? Do you think they will admit their Universal Registration failed to prevent a mass shooting? Or do you think that Universal Registration will be used as a tool to ensure the guns they ban will be rounded up and melted down, and those who don't comply will go to prison?

right again. I never thought the registry did anything but cost me tax dollars.

So until you can show us that the vast majority of anti-gun laws, restrictions, infringements, and sentiment comes from Conservatives, and not from Liberals, I will have to conclude that guys like you and King wish to hide the truth and the facts. And that is why some here will continue to try to get rid of me. The truth is their enemy. It is King that is showing fear that he and his kind might get booted out of the Big Tent for betraying those within. And it is high time they did get booted out. Ignoring the problems they cause is like ignoring early cancer symptoms until it spreads. Gentlemen and honorable men are not afraid of the truth.

I agreed with you 99% on the liberal agenda previously.

get rid of you....honestly...no. Wish you had more civility in your posts.... most here do.
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: keith

We've seen that Universal Checks and Registration did not prevent the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand.

New Zealand has neither gun registration nor universal back ground checks but don't let the facts get in the way of your rant. You never do.
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 09:41 PM
Well, I agree with about .99% of what you write. You and King seem to be on a feeling kick today, neat. The beauty of it is that it always feels right.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 09:41 PM

get rid of you....honestly...no. Wish you had more civility in your posts.... most here do.

This is too funny dla(sic). In your profile here, for Hobbies, you have this:

kieth...is a pathetic human being

So you say "most" here wish I had more civility in my posts. Pray tell us... where is that same sentiment from "most" concerning some of the vile filth that comes from guys like nca225?

Where was that sentiment day before yesterday when Bob Cash was dropping his repeated F*ck You's and other pleasantries, and repeatedly calling jOe mOnkey bOy?

I've been dealing with a campaign that has involved anonymous intimidation mail being sent to my home from a member using a second user name, getting extremely vulgar and threatening phone calls from SDH-MT, and having some spineless cowards attempting to threaten and intimidate me into silence. Let's not forget all those personal attack Threads your fellow Canadian participated in, yet claims he didn't see. Hell, my statement merely saying I that I could do the same as Bob Cash and his pals had Bob losing his mind and accusing me of threatening the safety of his family. Apparently, they think nothing of the safety of my family.

And you dla(sic), and those you refer to as "most" think I am the one lacking civility??? Seriously???

This is just too funny. But I recognize that those you refer to as "most" would use this diversion as an excuse to ask Dave to delete this thread to hide the truth once again. So I want to remain on the subject of what is behind Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop's new trigger lock policy.
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 09:45 PM
....New Zealand has neither gun registration nor universal back ground checks but don't let the facts get in the way of your rant. You never do.

Huh, what do they call it?
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 09:50 PM
New Zealand has neither gun registration nor universal back ground checks but don't let the facts get in the way of your rant. You never do.

All firearm owners in New Zealand must be licensed by the police. A special permit is required to possess a military style semi-automatic rifle. All handguns must be registered. The Liberal Prime Minister is portraying New Zealand's gun lobby as crazy for resisting more gun laws which she promises will happen.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your zeal to prove me wrong. You never do.
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 09:59 PM
Individuals have a firearms ownership license and pass a back ground check one time. The license is lifelong and does not expire. When purchasing a firearm they show the license and leave with the gun, no check at that point or ever after the initial procurement of the license. All Hand guns are indeed registered and some semi-autos that are classified as "Military-style Semi-Automatics" are also registered. Many semi-automatics sold is sporting configuration do not require registration.

Hardly what you tried to paint it William. Your typical half truths and deception.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military-style_semi-automatic
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 10:11 PM
So the police and government have a registry of ALL handguns, and they have a registry via special permits for ALL military style semi-automatic rifles. And we know these types of guns are always the first to be mentioned by Liberal Left lawmakers when it comes to new restrictions, buybacks, and outright bans and confiscations. They (anti-gun Liberals) have the data-base they need to engage in the usual incremental steps they seek to disarm the public.

Did you even bother to read the definition of a Military Style Semi-Automatic firearm in the link you provided? Thanks for proving my point.

You make excuses for those things and lied and told us there is no registration, and now have the nerve to say I'm guilty of half-truths and deception?
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 10:17 PM

This is too funny dla(sic). In your profile here, for Hobbies, you have this:

kieth...is a pathetic human being

hmmmm....must have been drunk and pissed at ya. my apologies. removed, sorry.

So you say "most" here wish I had more civility in my posts. Pray tell us... where is that same sentiment from "most" concerning some of the vile filth that comes from guys like nca225?

right...shouldn't have said most....I'll change that to some.

Where was that sentiment day before yesterday when Bob Cash was dropping his repeated F*ck You's and other pleasantries, and repeatedly calling jOe mOnkey bOy?

I've been dealing with a campaign that has involved anonymous intimidation mail being sent to my home from a member using a second user name, getting extremely vulgar and threatening phone calls from SDH-MT, and having some spineless cowards attempting to threaten and intimidate me into silence. Let's not forget all those personal attack Threads your fellow Canadian participated in, yet claims he didn't see. Hell, my statement merely saying I that I could do the same as Bob Cash and his pals had Bob losing his mind and accusing me of threatening the safety of his family. Apparently, they think nothing of the safety of my family.

hmmmmm.....you might need to reflect on your style of posting....sad state nonetheless. dave's post delete button should be able to prevent much of this.

And you dla(sic), and those you refer to as "most" think I am the one lacking civility??? Seriously???

This is just too funny. But I recognize that those you refer to as "most" would use this diversion as an excuse to ask Dave to delete this thread to hide the truth once again. So I want to remain on the subject of what is behind Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop's new trigger lock policy.

hmmmm....must have been drunk and pissed at ya. my apologies. removed, sorry.

right...shouldn't have said most....I'll change that to some.

hmmmmm.....sorry to hear that....that does suck...you might need to reflect on your style of posting....sad state nonetheless. dave's post delete button should be able to prevent much of this

Dave obviously does what he wants.....never pm'd him. his forum to be proud of....or not.... the double gun world would be lesser without this forum. maybe he'll give this Canadian control of the delete button for a bit.....
Posted By: King Brown Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 10:29 PM
I don't like seeing anyone banned, keith. I've noticed an improvement in your messaging. You've taken to heart the rules. Too bad you slipped by going back to one-size-fits-all after a member commented 40 civil posts in a row. Keep trying.
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 10:31 PM
a VERY,VERY small percentage of the firearms in NZ fall into any of the above registered categories. The VAST majority of guns in New Zealand are NOT registered. Just like here in the States we register class III firearms, only they include handguns and some semi-autos as well.

The lies are all coming from you William, as usual.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 11:19 PM

So what am I missing here Stevie? You said New Zealand has neither gun registration, nor universal background checks.

Yet the link you yourself provided says that ALL handguns are registered. And ALL Military Style Semi-Auto firearms require a special permit. And ALL gun owner must apply to the police for a police issued firearms permit.

Would you have us believe the police do not do any sort of background checks before issuing those permits to ALL firearms owners? Would you also have us believe they do not revoke those "lifetime" permits if someone commits certain crimes or acts irresponsibly with firearms? careful here now. I know the correct answers to these questions.

So we know the police have a universal registry of all legal firearms owners. We know that all handguns are registered. We know that the 2012 definition of Military Style Semi-Automatic is quite a bit more broad than what we think here. Yet you are now telling us that that only a VERY VERY small percentage of firearms in New Zealand are registered. Well, I guess if you say that a special permit for all those semi-autos is not registration, and if you can convince yourself that having a data base of every legal firearm owner is not registration or Universal Background checking, you can make yourself believe anything. So long as it suits your agenda. Then you can accuse me of telling lies, and forget your own.

By the way, last Saturday, I bought a very nice Dan Wesson .357 magnum. I did the usual transfer with the form 4473. I also had to fill out another form to register it with our State Police. You probably didn't know this, but a Dan Wesson .357 mag is not a class III firearm.
Posted By: craigd Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 11:28 PM
a VERY,VERY small percentage of the firearms in NZ fall into any of the above registered categories. The VAST majority of guns in New Zealand are NOT registered....

So based on percentages and population differences, the recent tragedy down there was at least a hundred times worse than anything that ever happened in the wild west, also known as the US of A? A better system or a quirk of an island nation.
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 11:30 PM

So what am I missing here Stevie? You said New Zealand has neither gun registration, nor universal background checks.

Yet the link you yourself provided says that ALL handguns are registered. And ALL Military Style Semi-Auto firearms require a special permit. And ALL gun owner must apply to the police for a police issued firearms permit.

Would you have us believe the police do not do any sort of background checks before issuing those permits to ALL firearms owners? Would you also have us believe they do not revoke those "lifetime" permits if someone commits certain crimes or acts irresponsibly with firearms?

So we know the police have a registry of all legal firearms owners. We know that all handguns are registered. We know that the definition of Military Style Semi-Automatic is quite a bit more broad than what we think here. Yet you are now telling us that that only a VERY VERY small percentage of firearms in New Zealand are registered. Well, I guess if you say that a special permit for all those semi-autos is not registration, and if you can convince yourself that having a data base of every legal firearm owner is not registration or Universal Background checking, you can make yourself believe anything. So long as it suits your agenda. Then you can accuse me of telling lies, and forget your own.

By the way, last Saturday, I bought a very nice Dan Wesson .357 magnum. I did the usual transfer with the form 4473. I also had to fill out another form to register it with our State Police. You probably didn't know this, but a Dan Wesson .357 mag is not a class III firearm.

Now Billie (Last name censored to protect those guilty of hacking other forum members hard drives),
you know that "Universal Back Ground check" means every transfer, every time. That is not how they do it in New Zealand. The buyer is checked one time in his lifetime. Only a very small percentage of the firearms in New Zealand are registered. We do not say that guns are registered in the USA but a very small number of them are, class III handguns/assault weapons in certain states or localities. In general though, guns are not registered here or in New Zealand. Sorry to confuse you with facts William.

Here something you may find interesting......no need to register hand guns here in Colorado. We enjoy a fair bit more gun freedom here than you do in Pennsylvania .....sure glad I left the East Coast when I was young, not to mention the huge expanses of public lands. Sure is beautiful out West. Take care Bill and do see about getting your horse back in the barn.
Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiMrvDbq3s
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 11:32 PM
I am not sure what you are getting at Craig. New Zealand has some of the least restrictive gun laws of any western nation. Please explain your riddle and I will try to respond.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 11:41 PM
I don't like seeing anyone banned, keith. I've noticed an improvement in your messaging. You've taken to heart the rules. Too bad you slipped by going back to one-size-fits-all after a member commented 40 civil posts in a row. Keep trying.

So then King, will you now implore Dave to bring jOe back... like you implored Dave to refrain from banning your friend who is not only a Troll, but one who posts anti-gun dogma on a firearms forum? Or are your words empty and meaningless and intentionally deceptive?

Do you plan to get all your pals who worked so hard to ban jOe to reverse their position? That's what you did when Mike ran his pledge drives to ban Ed.

My messaging hasn't changed a bit King. Did you see my exchanges with Bob Cash and your fellow Canadian of the genus Mustela and species (Mustela frenata) in the last few days? I confront lies, bullshit, and hypocrisy just as I always have... much to your chagrin.

By the way, when it comes to one size fits all... it is insane to think you are helping to preserve gun rights when you support those Liberal Left politicians who try relentlessly to take away those rights. It is equally insane for anyone to think it is wise to bring anyone like that into some Big Tent and to provide cover for them as they stab us all in the backs.

That's not "one size fits all" King. That is simply asking people to wake up and understand that there is a good reason we don't sleep with the enemy or allow Chinese spies with cameras to roam the Pentagon. Gun owners who vote for gun grabbers are not high on my list of intelligent beings.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 11:52 PM
I've taken a break here because I was not willing to participate in a forum that tolerated jOe's racial twaddle. If, in fact, he's no longer welcome here, I feel free to jump back in. Keith is still Keith, of course, eager to make gun owners sound like fools who'll run over anyone who raises the slightest objection to their lunacy. I will not implore Dave to admit jOe. He has always been a detriment to this board and to the human race. Let him stew in his own vile juice. Keith, feel free to join him.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/17/19 11:59 PM
Universal Background check refers to the buyer, not the gun Stevie. As it stands now, here in the U.S., someone who buys guns strictly in their own state (except perhaps some states controlled by Liberal Left Democrats) and from private owners can buy a thousand guns without a background check. And when every gun owner in NZ has to submit to a police background check and police issued licensing, that is Universal... except for criminals who don't comply. And a police issued permit which is a form of registration is not "lifetime" when the police may revoke it. Parse meaning however you want. When each and every handgun must be registered, and every semi-auto that fits the very broad 2012 NZ description of a Military Style Semi-Auto must have a special permit... that is Registration, and only someone with an agenda would attempt to say ALL those guns is a VERY VERY small number. There may be more guns that are not handguns or MSSA rifles, but you told us there is NO gun registration in New Zealand. Now you say this, even though it is a lie:

In general though, guns are not registered here or in New Zealand.

Then you repeatedly called me a liar. A man might apologize. Someone like you falls back on going down the same path that Bob Cash considered to be a huge threat against the safety of his family, even though it is the same behavior he, you, and BrentD utilized as a means to try to intimidate me. You're a big man Stevie.

Edit: I'm sure rocky mtn bill thinks you are great.
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/18/19 12:07 AM
Universal Background check refers to the buyer, not the gun Stevie. As it stands now, here in the U.S., someone who buys guns strictly in their own state (except perhaps some states controlled by Liberal Left Democrats) and from private owners can buy a thousand guns without a background check. And when every gun owner in NZ has to submit to a police background check and police issued licensing, that is Universal... except for criminals who don't comply. And a police issued permit which is a form of registration is not "lifetime" when the police may revoke it. Parse meaning however you want. When each and every handgun must be registered, and every semi-auto that fits the very broad 2012 NZ description of a Military Style Semi-Auto must have a special permit... that is Registration, and only someone with an agenda would attempt to say ALL those guns is a VERY VERY small number. There may be more guns that are not handguns or MSSA rifles, but you told us there is NO gun registration in New Zealand.

Then you called me a liar. A man might apologize. Someone like you falls back on going down the same path that Bob Cash considered to be a huge threat against the safety of his family, even though it is the same behavior he, you, and BrentD utilized as a means to try to intimidate me. You're a big man Stevie.

You are lying again Billie. UBC means each transfer has a check, not the person. Get a clue. We have a small number of registered guns here but we do not say the USA is a nation of registered guns. You are twisting the facts and words to lie like you constantly do. You were wrong and if you were a man you would apologize but you are simply a coward William. My number is listed, call anytime. Best of luck getting your horse back in the barn. Some things just can not be un-seen, you know what I mean?

96% of firearms are NOT registered in New Zealand.....I'm sure you think the 4% that are make you the shinning light of truth, you are simply wrong.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/15/new-zealand-re-examining-its-gun-laws-after-mosque-shooting/

Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/18/19 12:21 AM
I told you I just went through a transfer last Saturday. When my FFL called our system called NICS... a Background Check that is not yet universal... although Liberal Democrats want it to be... he submitted information on me... not the gun.

The form 4473 contains the serial number, make, model, and caliber of the gun. That data stays with him and may not be removed from his shop so long as he is in business, unless there is a criminal investigation that involves me.

Of course, we know that you permit BATF agents to photograph your books and records and remove information on your customers and their guns from your shop. Federal law does not permit that, but you won't even call your Congressman or Senator to report that abuse. And you call me a coward???

We do not yet say the U.S. is a nation of registered guns. But there are places controlled by Liberal Democrats that do mandate registration, and even mandate what you can own and whether you can carry it.

In general though, guns are not registered here or in New Zealand.

ALL handguns in NZ are registered. ALL MSSA rifles under the 2012 broad description of that are registered. You said no guns in NZ are registered and then modified it to the lesser lie above. I didn't change my username to SKB, so from the QUOTE above, it is abundantly clear who is the liar.

Why would I ever want to call you? Do you think my name is Steven Dodd Hughes? I don't engage in immature games like you and your pals.
Posted By: SKB Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/18/19 12:31 AM
Billie you are 4% correct, 96% WRONG and 100% a LIAR. You are indeed a coward, hiding behind your keyboard and cloak(now full of holes) of anonymity. Keep twisting away William, the hole you are digging is getting deeper each post.

Did the other shoe ever drop? Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/18/19 12:49 AM
So Stevie, if you know who I am, and you have even repeatedly posted that information online... and your friends Bob and Brent did the same, how am I hiding? Don't you keep saying the horse is out of the barn and some things just cannot be unseen? Are you going to call Bob a coward just because he doesn't want me posting his personal information online as he did to me? He thinks that crap could endanger his family, and he is right. He just didn't think my family is worth the same consideration, and neither do you. Are you going to call everyone here who uses a screen name a coward? Or are you going to exempt those who have the same Liberal Left mindset and determination to hide the truth about which party and which politicians and people are responsible for most infringements upon our gun rights?

I QUOTED an absolute lie that you told us. You twisted and turned and then modified it into another lie which I QUOTED as well. You claimed there is no firearms registration in NZ, but clearly there is. And you say I am digging a deeper hole and I am a 100% LIAR.

Is this an attempt to bait me into losing it, saying what you really are, so that you and your pals can convince Dave that I deserve to get the same boot he gave to jOe?

Lord I hope this all doesn't get deleted. People need to see what you are. You can have the last word. No sense arguing with someone who denies their own lies and twists the meaning of words like registration in order to hide the truth about the Liberal threat to gun rights.

The Liberal Democrats themselves talk about it. They make speeches. They organize marches and anti-gun protests. They promise to do it. They go on CNN and criticize Republicans for not helping them. They even post it on their campaign websites. Leave it to you to try to tell us I'm lying about it.
Posted By: dal Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/18/19 01:46 AM
I grew up playing neighbourhood road hockey. An x-ray of my shins would verify that. Always getting a stick in the shins... and giving a few. Run your hand along them and they feel like a washboard. Moved up to ice hockey, a little hack here and there, some cheap shots, a few ice fights, but after the game a few parking lot beers, joshing about the game etc. Its the Canadian way.

I'm sure after an hour Keith, we could double on a couple of preserve phez while discussing life and family.... eh?
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/18/19 02:05 AM
I grew up playing neighbourhood road hockey. An x-ray of my shins would verify that. Always getting a stick in the shins... and giving a few. Run your hand along them and they feel like a washboard. Moved up to ice hockey, a little hack here and there, some cheap shots, a few ice fights, but after the game a few parking lot beers, joshing about the game etc. Its the Canadian way.

I'm sure after an hour Keith, we could double on a couple of preserve phez while discussing life and family.... eh?

I just heard a collective groan all across Canada.

You forgot the Timmies and cocoa.

(What a fookin’ bender.)

Posted By: keith Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/18/19 02:44 AM
dal, who knows? I see a different guy in this thread than I've seen all these years of butting heads. I am passionate about our gun rights and quickly lose patience with those who take them for granted or worse yet, sell us out. We may share more common ground than I imagined. Sorry I got sidetracked and forgot to accept your apology earlier. I haven't exactly been nice to you and surely owe you an apology as well.

Hey, you weren't talking about taking me pheasant hunting after whacking me in the shins with a hockey stick for an hour... were you?

What say lonesome? Is there hope for me and dal to get along, or am I going to be blindsided right into the world of false teeth, dental implants, and dented shins?
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: strange policy at Cabela's - 03/18/19 02:51 AM
... Are you going to call Bob a coward just because he doesn't want me posting his personal information online as he did to me? He thinks that crap could endanger his family, and he is right. He just didn't think my family is worth the same consideration...

keith, you're a lying piece of s#it! I never threatened your family.
You claim to have the ability to out me. Why don't you start by posting a picture of my home.
No harm there. If you're right, I'll tell you so.
If you're wrong, well...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com