doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gunwolf HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 12:08 PM
Memories of my first hunting gun some 45 years ago...:

http://www.hunting-heritage.com/blog/index.php/2019/03/01/a-heym-bockbuchsflinte/

Gunwolf
Posted By: ellenbr Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 01:20 PM

Wolfgang:

Many thanks for the short-story & my own personal short tour of the Eifel. Was the stock pinned when you were the custodian or was it originally @ the factory. What is the LOP and is it sufficient for your dimensions?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: oskar Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 03:22 PM
What a wonderful gun to start with. Any possibility of getting the specs on it.

I started with a bolt action 16ga, but I was lucky enough to get to use a drilling in my teens. The experience stuck but it took another forty years to finally own my own and now I have three. Two I hunt with and one is still in the working stages.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 03:23 PM
Quote:
hunts on Roe Deer, Hare, Woodcock and Jaybirds, sometimes Duck.

Jaybirds???
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 04:06 PM
Thanks Raimey! Hope to see you again in the Eifel in the near future!
Well, as far as I know, the stock was pinned originally in the factory. The Lop of course always is a problem for me and the reason, you do not see the whole stock is an black extension...

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 04:07 PM
Don't know the word for "Eichelhäher", the dictionary says Jay..!?

Gunwolf
Posted By: Der Ami Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 05:25 PM
Jay is the correct English translation. They were shot( along with magpies), to protect other birds from egg robbing. Their feathers were also used for hat decorations, surrounding animal profiles. Older hunters reported to me that Jays were sometimes used to make soup which was good to treat colds.
My own Heym was made in 1969 in 16/7x57R and came with an extra barrel set in 16/16. I had Heym make a third set 60 cm (23 5/8") with open chokes, 16/16. Later I had Walter Grass make a set 9.3x74R/9.3x74R. I can't count all the game it took for me.
Mike
Posted By: 243ackley Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 07:41 PM
I think the bbf is beautiful. I can’t wait for my German friend to find one for me.

Great gun and great story.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 08:08 PM
I've shot a lot of Jay birds (blue jays) but I was using my Daisy BB gun. Dad didn't mind cause they'd eat the Mulberries from our tree and then dye the old Oldsmobile with purple splotches.
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 08:51 PM
Well, I added the specs and some 19 detail pictures to my blog:

http://www.hunting-heritage.com/blog/index.php/2019/03/01/a-heym-bockbuchsflinte/

Gunwolf
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 09:16 PM
Heck of a starter gun for sure.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 09:59 PM
Gunwolf,
Do you handload for the 7x75R? If not, I have a need for your fired cases. It's ok if they are Berdan primed.
Mike
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 11:04 PM
Mike,
unfortunately all my earlier cases went lost some years ago. Since nearly 20 years I have not used the Heym, one reason was a broken trigger guard. Now it has been repaired and next time I will go to the range and shoot it again. As far as I know, I still have 2 boxes (à 10) of the original cartridges. They are no longer available, but sometimes are offered on Egun. There are also sometimes cases offered. If I 'll get a source, I will let you know.
I do not handload, but have a friend who ia able to do!
Wolfgang
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/01/19 11:28 PM
Raimey,

as you see, the barrels are Chrom-Vanadin from Bochumer Verein(BVG). As the Heym is built in 1961, it may belong to the last with such barrels, as far as I know, because in 1963, after the takeover by Krupp, the BVG label disappeared. What do you mean?

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Posted By: Der Ami Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/02/19 12:10 AM
Gunwolf,
I had the trigger guard of mine changed from Kunsthorn to steel. I may still have my old one, I guess you no longer need it. I have a few cases I can use as examples to make them from 9.3x74R, I just thought it was too good a chance to pass up.
Mike
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/02/19 12:25 AM
Mike,

I got a new one from Kunsthorn made by a friend, who is a stocker. I like the Kunsthorn more, because it feels better, especially in winter, but of course that of steel is stronger.
What steel are the barrels of yours made from? Would be interesting, because it`s from 1969.

Wolfgang
Posted By: Der Ami Re: HEYM BBF - my first own hunting gun - 03/02/19 06:44 PM
Wolfgang,
Without going to the vault to check, I believe it is Krupp.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com