doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Rockdoc EIG shotgun - fine shotgun or tomato stake? - 02/27/19 03:19 PM
I just picked up an EIG shotgun. I'm not familiar with Spanish shotguns other than that they can run the quality gamut from horrible to excellent. Does anyone out there know where the EIG falls?

Steve
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: EIG shotgun - 02/27/19 04:55 PM
Where on Kyrie’s makers list did you find their cartouche?
I don’t recall ever having seen EIG as representative of anything special, so I want to go out on a limb and say it’s probably just another Spanish tradename.

Even some Spanish guns with extra engraving were rough as a cobb inside and made of inferior materials.

Googling tells me garden grade gun. Before you ever even post a pic of its water table.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: EIG shotgun - 02/27/19 05:01 PM
A photo of the marks on barrel and action flats would help us help you.
Are you confident the mark is not ELG in a Belgian proof?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: EIG shotgun - 02/27/19 05:18 PM
Steve: EIG was the U.S. importer, in Miami.
If there is a NAC within a triangle on the action flats, the gun was made by Norberto Arizmendi y Cia, Eibar = Norica, which became Norica-Laurona-Zabala

Kyrie would know much more
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=126

Posted By: Kutter Re: EIG shotgun - 02/27/19 05:24 PM
I think EIG was the USA importer (Eig Cutlery or Saul Eig ,,somewhere in Florida).
The guns were made by a number of small makers in Eibar, Spain. Most marked EIG-EIBAR-SPAIN

All this before the import markings as we know them today were required (1986)

...added..
Drew types faster than I do!
You think EIG was kin to the English maker EGG ?
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
I just picked up an EIG shotgun. I'm not familiar with Spanish shotguns other than that they can run the quality gamut from horrible to excellent. Does anyone out there know where the EIG falls?

Steve

EIG is not, to the best of my knowledge, a Spanish shotgun maker. I suspect it is the marking a US importer wanted on the barrels of some small number of working man’s guns he had made in Spain for small dollars. But who knows?

When it comes to Spanish shotguns the marking on the top of the barrels is advertising. The manufacturing data (including the maker’s mark of the shop that built the gun) will be found on the water table and barrel flats. If you would care to put up photos that clearly show the markings on the water table and barrel flats we can likely figure out who the maker was and when it was made.

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
You think EIG was kin to the English maker EGG ?

Doubtful.

Best,
Ted
Might be a Spanish cuzin...
Better chance of it being your cousin...

Best,
Ted
Here are images of the barrel flats and water table on my 20 gauge Spanish shotgun.

I'm sorry these images aren't better.
Steve

PS Ted, please don't pick fights on my thread, I'm trying to learn something here.
BTW, I took the gun apart this afternoon because it was doubling. It turned out to need adjustment where the triggers met the sears, problem solved! Even though it's obviously not an expensive gun the components making up the action were surprisingly well made and not rough or poorly finished at all.

Steve
http://www.shotguns.se/html/spain.html

AND

http://www.shotguns.se/html/spanish_trademarks.html

Looks like your gun was proofed in 1963 (I1)
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Better chance of it being your cousin...

Best,
Ted

Might be yO momma..
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=426349
“JB” is the maker mark of Armas Bost, formerly Jose Bolumburu.
Thank you all for helping me learn about Spanish shotguns. I had no idea the shotgun I found was made over 50 years ago. Wow, who would’ve thunk it! Overall it’s not a bad looking gun though I could do without the beavertail forend and the raised and ventilated center rib but whatthehell, the beavertail can be turned into a splinter, however I guess I’m stuck with the ventilated center rib. Anyhow, thanks again for the helping me research this gun.
Steve
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
the beavertail can be turned into a splinter

Steve, be careful if you begin that process, to determine if the wood is fitting closely to the underside of the barrels. More than one have begun rasping wood away, from an apparently well fitted beavertail, only to find out too late that there will be a huge gap between the barrels and the wood after it reaches the proper splinter profile. Bobby told me this a long time ago.

Best, SRH
Thanks for the warning Stan, if I resculpt the beavertail it'd probably be a good idea to put some modeling clay on the underside, snap it in place and then pull it back off to see how much the modeling clay is crushed in the process.

Steve
Rockdoc:

The American firms that were importing Spanish and Italian sxs shotguns in the 1950s-1970s were selling into a market that favored single triggers, pistol or semi-pistol grips, beavertail forends and ventilated ribs. I've seen Berettas, Zolis and a host of Spanish guns by lesser known makers all similarly equipped. They are a product of their time and, at least in my experience, are quite functional. I've owned two - a Beretta GR2 20 gauge (which did have double triggers but otherwise shared all of the era's features) and an Antonio Zoli 20 gauge (which has all of the era's characteristics), which I still have and shoot regularly, even though I also own a number of higher grade British, Italian, French (Darnes) and one Austrian sxs. Shoot it awhile before you take the rasp to the forend. You might find you appreciate the beavertail and don't need to make the change.
Cornell Pubs has a 1965 Bost catalog Steve.
https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=3794
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com