doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ksauers1 A Chas Smith? - 01/02/19 07:04 PM
http://www.hillrodandgun.com/picture.php?id=12904

As you can tell I'm just a beginner looking at English guns.

Your expert opinion needed

Thank you
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/02/19 07:23 PM
I can't say much about this gun in particular but I have a damascus barreled Chas Smith boxlock from around 1890. It is a 12 gauge that is well balanced and quite slim. In fact, I sent it to have the damascus barrels refinished and before checking, the gunsmith thought it was a 20 gauge when he first grabbed it.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/03/19 04:01 AM
Looks to me like a "B" grade SLE which means Original Quality grade three (OQ3). Smith is a Brand Value name level three (BV3). Current Condition level looks to be four (CC4), Heavy use, but no abuse or remanufactured.

BV3-OQ3-CC4 = $4161. However, there is the matter of the sleeved barrels. If they are properly done, we could say CC5, Minor repairs needed or proper restoration accomplished.

BV#-OQ3_CC5 = $3148.

If you are "alergic" to sleeving of barrels, you can ding the value down more.

DDA
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/03/19 04:44 AM
Myself I have no alergies to a properly sleeved gun. The seams appear almost invisible in the pictures on my phone. ...if the choking suits you I'd take it over a 2.5" gun with original barrels.
Id still want to know bore deminsions.

I'd want to know about any cast and what are the drop points and pull to the front trigger ...and are these deminsions similar to what you shoot.

Remember you're looking at a gun that was originally fitted to a dead man...Does his ghost come with the gun ?

Better hope the guy was a good shot or his bad shooting could huant you.

Any visible repairs in the wood ?

Are you ready for a straight wristed stock.

Most sellers don't want you shooting a gun on a 3 day inspection but it's a used gun...so who's to say.

He's reduced the price maybe he'll reduce it some more.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/03/19 01:49 PM
I've never purchased a gun from this seller but have looked at his guns for years

One thing that always stood out is most all the stocks look sanded and refinished in a poorly done oil finish....maybe not but that's how I see most of his guns.

To me looking refinished is not something that's appealing to me.
Posted By: GLS Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/03/19 02:11 PM
Charlie's guns directly imported from the UK but previously modified such as chamber lengthening or sleeving have been resubmitted for proof testing in Birmingham before importing.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/03/19 07:37 PM
My buddy at Classic Arms Germantown Tn. just got in a bunch of SxSs from the UK from what I've looked at he's not buying junk and he usually prices them to move.
After a time he sends them all to auction never to be seen again. He usually gets in 20 to 30 vintage guns two or three times a year.

Another shipment is expected soon...Thank God I'm not into vintage SxSs anymore or I'd be in the poor house.
Call him and see what he has. Jay Hill is his name tell him Frank sent you and if a price can't be negotiated ask about the "up or down flip"...that he's never beat me on.

If you hear about something you're interested in I'll be glad to look it over and give you my unbiased honest opinion even if it might not be what you'd like to hear.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/04/19 12:30 PM
Originally Posted By: GLS
Charlie's guns directly imported from the UK but previously modified such as chamber lengthening or sleeving have been resubmitted for proof testing in Birmingham before importing.

Nothing special about that ol'Chap.

Thank the Queen that any gun sold from there has to meet proof requirements.

Since you appear to know so much...where does he put his importers mark ?

Maybe it's just me but his photos make most of his guns listed appear to have been refinished in a dull satin oil finish.

Posted By: LeFusil Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/04/19 03:30 PM
Charlie usually puts his mark on the bottom rib, between the forend hangar and the barrel flats. Sometimes it’s on the forend hangar itself. Anyways...a lot of Charlies guns are pretty tired, I believe he buys them in great big lots and brings them over...what he has pictured on his website is about 1/16th of what he actually has in inventory. If you’re looking for something specific...call him. And fwiw...Charlie does nice work on gun cases too. He refitted a Churchill vc case for me this summer and did a really nice job.

In regards to the gun in question and the maker....everything I’ve seen come from the Chas. Smith Newark shop has been of very good quality. This looks like it’s built on a Rogers action, probably sourced from Webleys. 2nd tier action some will say, but many “best” guns were built using this very action.
I’ve owned a Chas. Smith hammer gun built using the 2nd patent Purdey thumblever, that gun was as nice or nicer than an actual Purdey from the same era. Top notch the whole way.
Posted By: GLS Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/04/19 11:36 PM
Posted By: lagopus Re: A Chas Smith? - 01/06/19 01:42 PM
Roy Martin http://www.englishguns.co.uk/ now owns the Smith name. He has information but records lost as far as I know. Lagopus…..
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com