doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Argo44 Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/12/18 01:52 PM
I sent the following message to Gavin Gardiner yesterday:

"Sirs, I have compiled a pretty complete "New Short History of Reilly of London,” which corrects a lot of errors about that company which have become internet myths. It can be read here. http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=436538&page=20

"I’ve also compiled a serial number chart of Reilly’s, which permits Reilly owners to date their guns to within six months or so, based on extant Reilly’s. On 01 Dec 2015 you actioned off in Lot 317 a 15 bore single barrel Reilly percussion gun muzzle loader. The gun could be an important link in dating Reilly serial numbers. By any chance have you retained information on the Serial Number of this gun and the name/address on the rib. Many thanks for your help."

To my surprise this morning I received this very considerate response:

Many thanks for this this very useful research information…. the link i smuch appreciated.

"Regarding the gun that we sold, lot 317 in our 1st December 2015 auction, I have attached the hi res image for this lot.
"As per the description, it is a single barrel gun by Burnett. The Barrels were signed William Burnett, Southampton. It was in a Reilly case. I have no record of a serial number and would have mentioned it if the gun had carried one, so presume that it was not numbered.
"I hope that this is of assistance to you.
Regards, Gavin"

There are few auction houses of that level which would take the time to respond to such a request. I've never bought a gun from him but his attention to detail certainly would give confidence in the process.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/12/18 02:07 PM
Very nice gun. Long barreled fowler, I presume?

SRH
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/12/18 06:03 PM
Hello Argo44,
I have dealt with Gavin Gardiner on several occasions. He has always been more than helpful and is a very pleasant man.
Regards,

mrwmartin
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/12/18 10:16 PM
Glad to hear Gavin provided you with some information.

Ken
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/12/18 11:28 PM
Stan, Here's the advertisement reference. I completely missed the "Burnett" provenance at the top of the ad and concentrated on the Reilly case.

http://gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0026&LotRef=317
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/13/18 07:31 AM
I have also bought firearms from Gavin. I'm always happy. One of the best firearm auctions in my opinion. I've bought from many of them as well.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/13/18 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Argo44
Stan, Here's the advertisement reference. I completely missed the "Burnett" provenance at the top of the ad and concentrated on the Reilly case.

http://gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0026&LotRef=317

Thanks, Gene. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been even longer. That would probably be a very nice handling fowler at that length.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/13/18 12:20 PM
That gun reminds me of Terry Lubzinski, from B. Columbia. He likes chasing geese with them. I remember that great pic of him standing in front of a little cottage with geese and a long barreled fowler.

If you hanging around, Terry, drop by and bless us with some more of your beautiful pictures.

SRH
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/13/18 03:05 PM
Terry has a great 12 bore Reilly, SN 303xx that he shoots regularly.
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/13/18 06:43 PM
I've purchased guns from them and requested detailed information
concerning guns in my field of interest. All my experiences have
been very positive.
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/16/18 05:07 AM
Hello Stan,hope all goes well with you and yours.We are still on the right side of the grass and doing our best to control the local snow goose population.You have motivated me to break out the Greener single ten and some bismuth #2's I loaded a while back.
Hope you are enjoying burning some powder as well. Cheers
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Gavin Gardiner, A1 in my book - 11/16/18 11:50 AM
Good morning, Terry. Glad you're still vertical and chasing those stinking snows. No shortage of them, eh?

Please post another pic of that big Greener, if you do give it another workout.

Best, SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com