doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Question on Fox - 10/27/18 09:05 PM
Good afternoon,
I have a couple friends in from NY and one of them is offering me a 410 Fox which he is saying is fully engraved. Now I truely appreciate all sxs, however, I am clueless on Fox sxs. I went on line to see if I could find anything on a Fox 410. All I could find was Savage Fox B which is nothing as he discribed. Does anyone on the board have a good idea on what my buddy has. No pictures yet since he is in for archery.

Rich
Posted By: SKB Re: Question on Fox - 10/27/18 09:08 PM
AH Fox never made a .410 but CSMC, Galazan did. If the gun is in the 10K + range it is a Galazan built gun.

https://connecticutshotgun.com/a-h-fox-shotguns/
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Question on Fox - 10/27/18 09:18 PM
That's what I thought, however he is telling me the gun is 40 plus years old. So I ruled out CSMC. I am thinking Savage, Fox B grade, but I did not see anything on line so discribed with full coverage engravings.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Question on Fox - 10/28/18 08:08 AM
your friend is bullshitting you.
JR
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Question on Fox - 10/28/18 09:48 AM
Savage made some Fox guns with a little extra. They had a satin chrome finished receiver and a walnut stock. I don't know about "fully engraved", but they had a little impressed marking on the sides. They're a bit utilitarian. I shot one that had one barrel didn't hit anywhere near the other. They aren't cheap these days. But not many 410 sxs guns are, and I'd steer clear of the really cheap ones. If you can get to the $1500-2000 range, the Turk made Dickenson guns carried by Cabelas are a good quality gun for a good price. 410s carry a premium in most quality makes. Short barrels and stocks are very prevalent. A quality 28" (or longer) barreled 410 sxs with an adult sized LOP is a rare thing.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Question on Fox - 10/28/18 10:22 PM
Get him to send you photos of the gun.

It is either a Savage Fox B, which would not be “highly engraved”. Unless it has been engraved aftermarket, which would really add no value to the gun, or not much at least.
Or it is a CSMC fox, which would definitely be engraved, a lot.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question on Fox - 10/29/18 10:47 AM
There are precious few people, who aren't really "into" the nuts and bolts of shotguns, that know the difference in roll stamping and engraving. Unknowingly, they use the term interchangeably.

SRH
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Question on Fox - 10/29/18 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
There are precious few people, who aren't really "into" the nuts and bolts of shotguns, that know the difference in roll stamping and engraving. Unknowingly, they use the term interchangeably.

SRH

I beg to differ on that, Stan. I find lots of people know the difference and rarely if ever conflate the two.

One can debate whether roll stamps are a subset of engraving. Don't mistake a vocabulary nuance with ignorance, much like pressed checkering is still checkering, just not very good checking. I think most people that have at least a median level of interest in firearms knows the differences between both.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question on Fox - 10/29/18 06:35 PM
Your universe and mine are light years apart, because when I get away from a very few people who know fine guns the rest will call the designs on the side of a 1100 receiver engraving. It's not. Engraving is done with a graver.......not a roll stamp. Debating it won't change that.

Pat yourself on the back. You run with a more educated bunch of shotgunners than I do, evidently.

SRH
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Question on Fox - 10/29/18 06:57 PM
Roll-stamped designs or slogans are not "engraving" by any means... they are simply stamped embellishments.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Question on Fox - 10/29/18 11:33 PM
I'll see him on Wednesday, as I stated he is staying at my cabin hunting deer. He told me he knows nothing about shotguns, and he'll send me pictures when he gets home, he said he does not think it had a box of shells shot through it and is in like new. I suspect it's a Savage grade B. When I get the pics I'll report our suspicions
The deer report is 11 deer yesterday, 5 bucks rest does and yearling. And 13 turkeys. Weather was rain off and on I have not received any updates today
Posted By: keith Re: Question on Fox - 10/30/18 01:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Your universe and mine are light years apart, because when I get away from a very few people who know fine guns the rest will call the designs on the side of a 1100 receiver engraving. It's not. Engraving is done with a graver.......not a roll stamp. Debating it won't change that.

SRH

+1 Stan.

Lots of people come here with little firearms knowledge in the beginning. Most are even humble enough to admit it. But over time, they learn a lot if they pay attention. Then there are guys like BrentD who think they know it all, and just keep showing us their ignorance.

Too bad Dave can't Moderate that.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Question on Fox - 10/30/18 02:54 PM
You can’t fix stupid. But you can reduce the sound with duct tape. Those who come here and ask questions only to disagree with everyone who answers them need a little duct tape.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Question on Fox - 10/30/18 03:14 PM
Visible in each of the following images is perhaps the most important aspect of Engraving.

The hand of Man.

Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Question on Fox - 10/30/18 03:27 PM
[quote=Stan] There are precious few people, who aren't really "into" the nuts and bolts of shotguns, that know the difference in roll stamping and engraving. Unknowingly, they use the term interchangeably.

My surmise is that most people don't really care one way or the other, and the reality gets lost in the syntax.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com