doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/15/18 11:54 PM
So, where did the descriptive "hard rubber" come from? Anybody know when or who coined the phrase?

SRH
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/16/18 12:28 AM
Well, the material was technically a rubber by compositin. And it wasnt soft. So... Hard Rubber.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/16/18 12:58 AM
Gutta-percha was a natural latex product originally derived from a tree in Malaysia, and was widely used in the second 1/2 of the 1800s. Hard rubber was made by vulcanization of India rubber from the latex of different trees. Both are pliable when heated; hard when cooled.
Bakelite was the first plastic and patented in 1909, and mostly replaced gutta-percha.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/16/18 01:01 AM
Thanks to both of you. Just the kind of information I was hoping for. I just couldn't find it doing searches.

Best, SRH
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/16/18 12:47 PM
I do not like when a Fox or other older doubles are described as having a plastic buttplate. Bobby
Posted By: eightbore Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/16/18 05:29 PM
Some history here. When I was on the PGCA Research Committee, copying the Parker records at Ilion in 1998, we came upon many orders that called of "rubber butts". We assumed that these orders referred to recoil pads. We were wrong, the term referred to the hard rubber buttplates that were standard on most Parkers. The members of the Research Committee grew a bit tired of seeing this term used and gravitated to the more interesting term "Rub her butt". We attribute this term to Research Committee member Allen Swanson.
Posted By: gunny Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/16/18 06:30 PM
when you sand or rub hard on an original "hard Rubber" butt plate it smells like rubber
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/17/18 12:53 AM
Okay. Are the reproductions "hard rubber", or are they plastic?

SRH
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/17/18 01:23 AM
Stan,
Ureathane. Better in every respect.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/17/18 11:49 AM
Thanks, Ted. There are so many different kinds of plastic, it is plumb comfewsing. Plus, I just have a hard time growing fond of any of it.

SRH
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/17/18 03:17 PM
And there are literally millions of rubber, both natural and synthetic, compounds. A tire can easily have 10 to 20 different compounds in it to best serve each component's job. While synthetic rubbers have replaced latex compounds in most tire use, there are still some jobs best done by latex compounds.

DDA
Posted By: jim sears Re: Hard rubber(???) buttplates - 10/17/18 08:52 PM
Yeah...like the treadstock on a raidial tire. Once radials became the norm, natural rubber got a lot more use in tires. One more thing, you can make latex out of any rubber material. A case in point is the use of Nitrile rubber in gloves because some folks have a problem with natural rubber latex gloves. They are both made by the same dipping process and in this case, nitrile is extended in a solvent to become a latex.

tight lines Jim Sears
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com