doublegunshop.com - home
A friend has a Remington 20 Ga Magnum: They shoot only 2 3/4" shells. Is it possible to make it "cycle?"
It won't "reload" the 2nd shell for skeet.

This old side by side shooter doesn't know what to do.
Usually a clean and oil and a new O-ring will get an 1100 up and going. Could be a couple of other things but that is the fix 19 out of 20 times. Good luck.
Steve
Rem 1100 Mags in both 12 and 20 gauge are specificly made of magnum shotshells. The gas ports are a different size than the standard 2 3/4" guns. Most will not cycle 2 3/4" target loads.
Bob Jurewicz
I think he could get a standard barrel and use it on the magnum receiver. If my memory is correct, the magnum barrels have one gas port, the standards have two.

Used barrels should be easy to find.
Make sure the gas port inside the big ring on the barrel is clean. I use a drill bit and run it in and out by hand. A lot of stuff comes out and if it is not clear the gun will not cycle.
Originally Posted By: Bob Jurewicz
Rem 1100 Mags in both 12 and 20 gauge are specificly made of magnum shotshells. The gas ports are a different size than the standard 2 3/4" guns. Most will not cycle 2 3/4" target loads.
Bob Jurewicz

I think Mr. Jurewicz has the right answer. The 11-87 solved that problem...Geo
I know guys who increased the drilled port size, not sure I like that. A hot reload may help.
bill
Don’t alter the size of your gas port if you intend to use heavy loads again. Years ago a friend kept breaking the action bar on his F grade 1100’s. Got replaced multiple times. Last time at The Lordship Skeet shoot, back when it was in Connecticut, the smith noticed the gas ports were drilled out oversized. Too much gas, caused too much force on the action bar, which caused it to break. When the smith asked the owner who drilled the ports out he said he did, had to to get it to work light reloads was his reason. Got called a dumb ass for doing it. They sent the barrel back to the factory to fill in the holes and redrill them. Told the owner no free repairs ever again if he worked on his own stuff. They had to have the entire gun back to any free repairs.

Same fellow decided to port a D grade barrel. Did it on his drill press. Left the burrs in the barrel. Every time he shot it strands of plastic came out the ports. Powder stained them black each shot. Built up until the end of his barrel looked like it had public hairs coming out it. He was a hoot to shoot with.
"Same fellow decided to port a D grade barrel. Did it on his drill press. Left the burrs in the barrel. Every time he shot it strands of plastic came out the ports. Powder stained them black each shot. Built up until the end of his barrel looked like it had public hairs coming out it. He was a hoot to shoot with."

Now that is funny.
There are different models of Rem 1100 20 gauge guns
There is Standard Weight, LW and LT
Please ask him to verifly which model or you can ask
him to tell you the last letter in the serial number.
Once we know that, t'will be easier to provide a route forward.
Should be an "N" or a "U".
Mike

p.s.
http://www.remingtonsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21861
The Standard weight 20ga. 1100's will have an X suffix and that applies to both the 2&3/4" guns as well as the magnums that had 3" chambers, IIRC All of the the standard weight guns were built on 12ga. frames.

I don't recall off the top of my head if the action bar weight was heavier in the 3" 20ga. guns or not, but I'm thinking it is the same in both chambering's. It is heavier in the 12ga. 3" magnums.

I would think that if your friend's gun is clean that it should function/cycle with any of the heavier 2&3/4" field loads in #8 shot for target use.

Also note that hulls w/steel heads will not have the same memory as those with brass, often creating added drag and that alone can keep some 20ga. 1100's from running smoothly.
See my post above
X 20 GA. “HEAVY FRAME” (DISCONTINUED)
N 20 GA. “HEAVY FRAME MAGNUM” (DISCONTINUED)
K 20 GA. “LIGHT WEIGHT” (“LW”) (ALSO INCLUDES M/1100 “LT”)
U 20 GA. LW MAGNUM (ALSO INCLUDES M/1100 “LT”)
One other thing that I have noticed with 20 ga. 1100s..........when my oldest grandson was about 9 or 10 he wanted to move up to a "twenty". I had my wife's LT 20, which had always worked fine. When my grandson tried to shoot it, it would not eject and feed. Jammed every time. I worked on it relentlessly, doing everything I could imagine to help it. When I would try it myself it would work flawlessly, but not for Jackson. Imagine, that when he got older and bulkier, it then went to working perfectly.

I can shoot it from the hip and it will not eject and feed. Hold it to my shoulder and it works perfectly. Even tho' it's a gas gun it needs some solid resistance behind it to function reliably.

SRH
Originally Posted By: SKB
Usually a clean and oil and a new O-ring will get an 1100 up and going. Could be a couple of other things but that is the fix 19 out of 20 times. Good luck.
Steve
This!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com