doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Steve Helsley Pilkington Gun Co. - 09/30/18 11:39 PM
Looking for Pilkington Red/Brown gunstock finish. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 09/30/18 11:49 PM
Brownell's carries it, but is out of stock. You probably know that already, tho'.

SRH
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/01/18 07:18 PM
This is a reddish brown. Been using it for many years:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools...s-prod9816.aspx

You could buy the English Red also and adjust the color with it.
JR
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/01/18 07:54 PM
John,
Thank you. I have the stains. As Stan noted, the finish has been "out of stock" for
some time.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/01/18 08:04 PM
If you can't find it, you might try this instead.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools...ent=100-014-934

May need color adjustment for you, but the finish is quite nice to work with.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/01/18 11:00 PM
I have added the Plikington English Red & Pre 64 spirit stains & sometimes a bit of the Pilkington red brown rubbing oil to the clear Pilkington finish (also to Tru Oil for quick touch up although I really don't like Tru Oil) to get the color I want. Note that the red/brown rubbing oil will significantly increase the time before it gets tacky (a plus w/Tru Oil for me).

You will note that the instructions for the Pilkington finish suggest thinning it anyway although they also say you can use it straight. I've only used it straight when I wanted a built up finish.

I've not had any issues but you are on your own here. I'm not sure what the "spirit" is in the Pilkington Stain but it must be something close to lacquer thinner as the stains will temporarily soften some finishes if used for touch up so careful handling is required.
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/01/18 11:17 PM
I thin Pilkington finish with mineral spirits. It works very well.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/01/18 11:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Helsley
John,
Thank you. I have the stains. As Stan noted, the finish has been "out of stock" for
some time.

My bad, Steve. Try using the new thinner Timberluxe #2 Formula with the Pilkington stains added for color.
JR
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/01/18 11:52 PM
Brownell's lists the clear Pilkington finish as "in stock"

Not trying to talk anyone out of Timberlux though. i want to try it myself.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/02/18 12:19 AM
I have been using garnet shelac and it will duplicate th WW red and many of the old makers red. I recomend a coat of poly over it to give it a longer life.

bill
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Pilkington Gun Co. - 10/02/18 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
I have been using garnet shelac and it will duplicate th WW red and many of the old makers red. I recomend a coat of poly over it to give it a longer life.

bill

Bill,
NEVER put polyurethane over shellac. The underlying shellac will not support the poly when exposed to sweat or water, and they will separate and peel. Shellac is a very soft finish made from bugs' bodies that holds up poorly to wear from handling and moisture. It looks good when applied as French Polish, but does not hold up well at all. Good for picture frames and interior furniture. But you already knew that.
JR
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com