doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bill schodlatz Macon - 09/08/18 04:09 PM
Just recieved my L C Smith single barrel trap stock back from Macon. I gave them the original stock and they duplicated the original checkering pattern on the new stock. The work was very good and the price was great for checking a straight stock and side pannels. I told them to save the LCS stock for a pattern and they can now duplicate the inlettig on an early Smith SBT.

bill
Posted By: canvasback Re: Macon - 09/08/18 05:59 PM
Glad it's working well for you. I wouldn't go near them.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Macon - 09/08/18 11:47 PM
You took a BIG gamble and you lucked out this time.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Macon - 09/09/18 12:07 AM
A friend once told me "You'll back into more good luck than you'll ever run down". That may apply here.

So glad that it worked out well for you, Bill.

SRH
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Macon - 09/09/18 03:11 PM
I have bought several(8) rough turned stocks and the work has been very good. I am careful to explain exactly what I want in the purchase conversation and in writing with the wood (I use my wood) The results have been great. Cost are usually less than Wignigs set up fee.
If you realy know what you want and can express it you can get good value on turning and checkering at Macon. To checker this straight stock and side pannels cost $80. It duplicated the LCS pattern and was perfect.
bill
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Macon - 09/09/18 04:38 PM
I would love to see the results of an $80 4-panel checkering job.

You get what you pay for and some are just fine with that I suppose.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Macon - 09/10/18 11:49 PM
I checkered guns until I was in my 50's. There is NOTHING wrong with this job. I see you show yourself as a stock maker. At 77 I am still making stocks and I know quality when I see it. I suspect that if you sell your work then the price is the problem.

bill
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com