doublegunshop.com - home
...or more?

It crossed my mind that almost exactly 18 years ago my wife and I went to an ultrasound appointment to find out if we were going to have a boy or girl.

Found out it would be a girl, and the ultra-sound tech said: "I have never seen that before." eek

My wife had a night class so I found myself sitting at home on the computer and ended up posting our story on this forum. Just needed to talk to someone.

Happy ending! After two open heart surgeries in her first week and an aortic angioplasty at 8 months, our daughter is now a senior in high school. Looking at colleges and planning the rest of her life!

I can't recall the exact words, but to clearly remember the kindness that came our way from the members of this forum.

Thank you again.

PS This was her diagnosis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysplenia
Mike, I'm very happy to hear that everything turned out OK and that your little girl is healthy and soon entering college. I wasn't around here for the original diagnosis, but I can certainly understand how overjoyed you are that she is doing well.

She's looking at colleges huh? Now you have some new stuff to worry about! I recall dragging one suitor out of the passenger side window of his Volkswagen Beetle and explaining that if he ever came around my daughter again, they wouldn't even find his DNA...
I love happy endings!

Actually, I've been here a lot longer than 18 years, but that is when the format changed, and the older stuff is no longer with us. I really miss some of our early posters who are in heavenly pastures.

Well done, Dave!
Glad you had such a great outcome. You never want to be interesting in any medical situation.
What a nice story with a great ending. Thanks for reminding us, although I wasn't here yet.

I will say that although I have only met a few members in "real life" I love being here and getting to know everyone. It is a real community, in all sense of that word and I'm very glad I found it.
Praise the Lord! Nice to here good things nowdays.
Wonderful update, Mike. So happy for your daughter.

How long has it been since you hooked me up with the 32" L C Smith 0 grade, 10 ga.? I'll bet it's been over 18 years.

SRH
Mike I am happy to know how well things worked out. I don't remember your original thread but I was probably around. Weren't you posting as Marksman then?...Geo
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Mike I am happy to know how well things worked out. I don't remember your original thread but I was probably around. Weren't you posting as Marksman then?...Geo

i think you're right, Geo. Mike and I talked twice ................both times I had to stop my high clearance sprayer in the middle of a cotton field to be able to hear him on the cell phone. Strange how you remember such things.

SRH
I have been around a pretty long time. I remember Der Klunkermeister, Bill Wise, John Mann and others now gone. I rarely post and prefer to mostly just observe. I was brought up with hunting and double guns but my knowledge pales In comparison to that of many of you.

Happy to hear things worked out well for you and your family.
my...how time do fly...
I was here. Wonderful report, Mike. Hope you’re here a lot longer.
I think this might have been the first bulletin board I visited. Either that or maybe the old alloutdoors board. We've lost some good people, but it's still a great place. You can ask pretty darned obscure questions about doubles and be almost certain of getting an answer. Or, where it's a case of opinion vs fact, a bunch of answers.
I registered on this version of this board 12/31/2001, but I seem to remember an earlier version of the board that I was also a member on? Some of you old timers help me out here. Am I dreaming or was there an earlier version of this board? I have many fond memories of Der Klunkmeister, Dr. Gaddy, Bill Wise.....the list goes on - too far I might add. These I have named were the cornerstones of this board as far as I was concerned. I still miss their contributions.
Apologies for the delay in replying!
Away from my computer and the saved passwords. Tried every password I could remember on my phone and tablet but no joy.

Originally Posted By: Pete
I love happy endings!
Actually, I've been here a lot longer than 18 years, but that is when the format changed, and the older stuff is no longer with us. I really miss some of our early posters who are in heavenly pastures.

Well done, Dave!

Pete,
My wife and I worked it out last night. It has been 20 years since my son and I visited your home. I still have the Scott/Lindner Premier. Did have it renovated (not a full restoration) by some of the craftsmen I met though this website. Have also since learned the skills to do such work myself.
Originally Posted By: Stan
How long has it been since you hooked me up with the 32" L C Smith 0 grade, 10 ga.? I'll bet it's been over 18 years.
SRH

Stan,
That has to be 15+ years. It has been 15 years since I left the employer I was working for at the time. So it could easily be 18.

Geo.
Yes, ‘Marksman’ was my handle at the time. The software requires that I still use it to log in, though my username displays as ‘Utah Shotgunner’. I started using that name, as I thought I would never leave Utah (and would return yesterday!). Of course, as soon as I made the change, we packed up and moved east.

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood

Back at you Joe.

Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
I registered on this version of this board 12/31/2001, but I seem to remember an earlier version of the board that I was also a member on? Some of you old timers help me out here. Am I dreaming or was there an earlier version of this board? I have many fond memories of Der Klunkmeister, Dr. Gaddy, Bill Wise.....the list goes on - too far I might add. These I have named were the cornerstones of this board as far as I was concerned. I still miss their contributions.

Perry,
Yep, there was earlier version. It think I first found ‘Gunshop.com’ in mid to late ’97. Just before I left Arizona for my move to Utah.
As Stan mentioned above. I remember a phone call with you. I was driving past the Kennecott Copper Mine, headed to a customer site in Nevada. Don’t recall what we were discussing (shotgun related I’m sure) but clearly remember the call.
I'll always remember that big old Elsie with fondness, Mike. I took ducks with it on the L'Anguille River in Arkansas, with hand loaded 2 7/8" bismuth, but more importantly I may not have been able trade into this 16 ga. 32" barreled Elsie if I had not had the big 0 grade as trading fodder.

May you live well.................and long.

SRH
I've been here pretty much from the start and before the formation of GLSSA.
Back when I first started, there was a significant "Damascus Roulette" contingent among the regular posters. We don't see nearly as much of that these days.
Got our first home computer December 1998, and been here ever since.
My profile shows 12/31/01 but as I recall we had to Re-join about that time. I note good number with that same date & some others as 01/01/02, a day later. I know that I started out on internet dial-up prior to my retirement in Aug of '99 but do not now recall just when I joined the doublegun forum or how I even found it.
I do remember the name Marksman, but had not realized until it was pointed out that you were the same person..
I was here 18 years ago. I joined the old board about the year 2000 or maybe a bit earlier. It's been a nice place to visit that I read every day.
I was here 18 years ago and somewhat before that.

DDA
I been here a long time. I remember the good ole boys. Now we have a bunch of haters.
Originally Posted By: battle
I been here a long time. I remember the good ole boys. Now we have a bunch of haters.

The hate was there in the beginning, it was just anonymous at the beginning. I logged in a day or two after the big change, and had been here, posting with my real name, for years before that.
I still post with my real name.

Best,
Ted
Thanks for the positive update on your daughter and kind remarks. Easy to lose sight of the time that passes, sometimes. Will pray that her life continues to bloom and y'all's too.

This board has been and continues to be comprised of 'passionate' as well as 'opinionated' individuals, many of whom are well versed in specific areas and perfectly willing to share an insight or assist another when they can; been that way from the get go. Have made some lasting friendships and acquaintances because of its existence over the years that would never have been possible otherwise. Sorely miss many of those now passed, inclusive of one that told me I was an 'idjit' for suggesting once that an individual who was prematurely wringing their hands over a recent purchase to 'just go shoot it at some skeet targets and see whether you can hit anything with it or not,' rather than patterning it first. I still think it was a reasonable enough and easily accomplished suggestion. Ha!

Personally, I value this place highly and have benefitted from its existence.. for a long while now; fairly close to right out of the gate on the original site, but lost that sequential low digit member# when the domain change took place.

And I'll continue to support it so that others might benefit as much as I have.

kind regards, tw
Our little girl at six days old. A few hours after her second surgery. (Camera used floppy discs!)

Our little girl and her old man went to Warped Tour this summer. We had a great time!

Congrats dad, many more great times to come. One of my daughter's has dragged me out to a concert or two. People get scattered around, but my wife and I are looking forward to visiting with two of ours this weekend.
Originally Posted By: craigd
Congrats dad, many more great times to come. One of my daughter's has dragged me out to a concert or two. People get scattered around, but my wife and I are looking forward to visiting with two of ours this weekend.

No dragging required.
We find ourselves sharing our musical tastes. She drove with me to an auction last weekend (Took the car and visited grandma while I was at auction.)

We spent a good bit of the drive with Five Finger Death Punch turned up loud. laugh
When mom or sister are in the car, it is sedate and boring. wink
Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
Apologies for the delay in replying!
Away from my computer and the saved passwords. Tried every password I could remember on my phone and tablet but no joy.

Originally Posted By: Pete
I love happy endings!

Well done, Dave!

Pete,
My wife and I worked it out last night. It has been 20 years since my son and I visited your home. I still have the Scott/Lindner Premier. Did have it renovated (not a full restoration) by some of the craftsmen I met though this website. Have also since learned the skills to do such work myself.
Originally Posted By: Stan
SRH

Stan,
That has to be 15+ years. It has been 15 years since I left the employer I was working for at the time. So it could easily be 18.

Geo.
Yes, ‘Marksman’ was my handle at the time. The software requires that I still use it to log in, though my username displays as ‘Utah Shotgunner’. I started using that name, as I thought I would never leave Utah (and would return yesterday!). Of course, as soon as I made the change, we packed up and moved east.

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood

Back at you Joe.

Perry,
Yep, there was earlier version. It think I first found ‘Gunshop.com’ in mid to late ’97. Just before I left Arizona for my move to Utah.
As Stan mentioned above. I remember a phone call with you. I was driving past the Kennecott Copper Mine, headed to a customer site in Nevada. Don’t recall what we were discussing (shotgun related I’m sure) but clearly remember the call.

Good grief US, I too (now) remember the call!! And that is an accomplishment since I do not remember what I had for dinner last night! I think it was about either a gun you had posted about or a piece of gear that you were using that I saw in some picture of you that you had posted??? Seems like ages ago. Well of course it does because it was!!!

Just saw your pictures US. You have a lot to be thankful for. That "little girl" has grown to be quite a beautiful young lady that I am absolutely sure you are justifiably proud of!! Treasure every moment you can spend with her!!
I dunno - what does the description under my name say?
I remember Oscar calling and telling me about it very early after it started up. Havenot missed day sense.
bill
Memory fails me.....when did the board begin? I just remember it was a long time ago.
I could almost swear that I have been involved with Dave Webber's board(s) regardless of the name or format since around 19193 or 4. Is that possible? I know this was the very first bulletin board I had ever subscribed to and I did so after getting back into double guns with a Uggie Model 30 that I bought from Dale Dalrympal well before the injury he sustained in a fall that he took. I know it was in the 90's, just not sure which year. Dave Webber, do you have any historical records??
I found the answer to my question right here on the BBS in Dave’s “Welcome” page.

“.doublegunshop.com has been on-line since June 1995. We started as gunshop.com and changed domain names 10/27/06.”

I wish there was a quick link to all the early posts before the change. There was a lot of great information posted and a bunch of great people. And they were civil.
Thanks Joe. I guess my memory was not so far off after all!! I agree with your comments regarding civility. Yes, their were certainly some differing opinions, but nothing like the garbage spewed out by some who are now on this board. But, Dave has given us the Ignore capability and I am presently using it for three who post here. It seems that two of them have gotten worse in the past year or so but just still hang on to show others what jerks they really are!! Glad to see that Dave shut down the most recent attack on Drew.
Always used to make me laugh to read the friendly ribbing between AmarilloMike and his shooting student, Joe Wood.
Hard to believe it has been that long but I was a member of the "old" board. Grateful that I was able to visit Bill Wise and his lovely bride, Rosa Lee, I THINK. He had just finished writing "Indian Giver" and printed out a copy for me and signed it. I later sent him a pair of preserved feet (in meat salt with their claws open) from a road killed Barred Owl to add to his collection of talismans. A most civil and informative board back then. Damn, I must be getting old!
Thanks Joe. I guess my memory was not so far off after all!! I agree with your comments regarding civility. Yes, their were certainly some differing opinions, but nothing like the garbage spewed out by some who are now on this board. But, Dave has given us the Ignore capability and I am presently using it for three who post here. It seems that two of them have gotten worse in the past year or so but just still hang on to show others what jerks they really are!! Glad to see that Dave shut down the most recent attack on Drew.

This is rich!

How can you know about so-called attacks made by guys you claim to be IGNORING?

Dishonesty is not civility.
"As a Dog returns to his vomit, so a fool returns to his folly."
Wow, that's so great to hear such good news.
Mike,

Heart warming experience, thanks for sharing glad to here of the great outcome and authentic life you guys are enjoying.
It's hard to wrap my mind around how time slips by...

These are my 'girls' on the Dove field circa 2004 (2 years after joining)

Then our 'matched pair' with a somewhat similar story as yours in 2008...

and that same 'matched pair' on the Dove field last week!..

I haven't been a prolific poster but deepest thanks to Drew, Pete, Walt Snyder, Steve Helsley, Fred (Dale Edmonds buddy) and all the other great contributors that I've learned much from over the years.
I' at 16, although that may be because of a reorganization of the board.
Great pics, Doug.

SRH
Thanks Stan, truly blessed.
Originally Posted By: Goillini
I have been around a pretty long time. I remember Der Klunkermeister, Bill Wise, John Mann and others now gone. I rarely post and prefer to mostly just observe. I was brought up with hunting and double guns but my knowledge pales In comparison to that of many of you.

Happy to hear things worked out well for you and your family.

Same here. I stumbled on to the site many moons ago after I had made a multiple gun purchase including Parker, Fox, and DM Lefever doubles. I've met and spoke with several members over the years. Fine folks indeed.
16 years for me, WOW
Originally Posted By: 2-piper
My profile shows 12/31/01 but as I recall we had to Re-join about that time. I note good number with that same date & some others as 01/01/02, a day later.

Miller My first night on this board you had just brought your wife home from the hosp. after heart surgery. I know it was before Dave moved to this format because I used to love the wild and wooly posting on the old format. Seems I was in the minority and Dave had to clean it up in about 2000. Seems to have worked out well.
Cary;
My Wife's birthday is 9/11. I carried her to the ER on 9/10/01. She awoke the next morning, 9/11, to see the planes flying into the twin towers. She was transported to Vanderbilt Hosp that same day & had a triple bypass on the 12th. She would have come home a day or so later. I had already been a member for some time then. The 12/31/01 date would be when we moved to the new format.
9/11/01 will forever stick in our minds.
Miller, I must have my events dated wrong. I had been on here for a while before 9 11, going back to the FH and Pete wars. Regardless, you've been a mainstay of this board as long as I've been around. It's always a pleasure seeing you posting.
I hold Number 6 on the reorganized board. December 31, 2001. Cannot remember the number for the years before that.
Since the 1990's. Read daily, post rarely.
1997 and check most every day.
2002 for me. Registration # below 200.

I too miss Oscar, Rus, Bill...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com