doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Teal anyone - 09/02/18 12:36 AM

If I could shoot, we would have had quite a few more. I hope some others were out there.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Teal anyone - 09/02/18 01:30 AM
Our early teal season doesn't come in until next Saturday, the 8th.

That's some fine eating there, except for the one on the far right.

SRH
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Teal anyone - 09/02/18 02:22 AM
Your pic reminds me of some fun I used to have jump shooting teal out of harvested corn stubble in Southern Wisconsin. Much more like upland hunting than "duck hunting"!

When I first shot at passing teal from a duck blind, I killed one with the first shot. But it was three feet behind the one I was trying to hit....

One thing about teal that are in good shape early in the season--they don't get dry when you cook 'em! What DO you do with all that duck fat, anyway?
Posted By: smlekid Re: Teal anyone - 09/02/18 10:21 AM
Our Australian Grey Teal look very similar
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Teal anyone - 09/02/18 09:40 PM
A Lefever in Australia! Wow, that ought to be a rare one over there! Tell us about it.
Posted By: Hal Re: Teal anyone - 09/03/18 03:37 PM
Youth can shoot them here on the 15th, but resident adults have to wait till the 22nd. I remember the first early BWT season...my partner and I shot four a day for nine straight days!
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Teal anyone - 09/03/18 04:44 PM
What's the limit on plastic ducks?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Teal anyone - 09/03/18 07:04 PM
This time of year in North America all the blue wing teal will be LBDs (little brown ducks), but they pretty up substantially later in the Winter. Nice bag Brent...Geo
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Teal anyone - 09/03/18 08:24 PM
Ended up with 11 for the weekend. Gus's first opportunities for ducks other than the wife's garden ducks.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Teal anyone - 09/03/18 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: PALUNC
What's the limit on plastic ducks?

That is a very special Green Decoy.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Teal anyone - 09/03/18 08:35 PM
Teal were made to shoot (at), and eat, not to look at. But a drove screaming in at 8 ft. above the water, all of them darting and jiving in synchrony is a sight to behold. I love them, and sometimes tip my hat to them as they speed by. They just look like they're having so much fun, it makes me jealous.

SRH
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Teal anyone - 09/03/18 09:02 PM
Not sure if I posted this in the wrong thread already, but I'll try again.

For the third day in a row, Gus and I went teal hunting. Today, we took a grad student who downed a bird that swam across the pond and eventually climbed up the bank and into heavy cover. As this was only the third day of Gus's duck hunting career, I had to wade over to get him started, but birds in the tall grass have no chance against him, and he found this one up high where I never would have thought it would go. Gus has, however, trained me to believe in him, so I did, and it all worked out.

Right now, his biggest limitation is getting past the idea that decoys are not there for him to retrieve.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Teal anyone - 09/03/18 10:13 PM
He'll learn that, Brent. Great pic!

SRH
Posted By: smlekid Re: Teal anyone - 09/04/18 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
A Lefever in Australia! Wow, that ought to be a rare one over there! Tell us about it.

Hi Joe there is actually quite a few Lefevers around in Australia (there are also plenty of nitro specials) I've seen quite a few H grades and even the odd higher grade gun (E or F from memory)
my gun is a H grade with twist barrels very heavily built
I use it for duck hunting because in my home state Damascus twist and muzzle loading guns are exempt from the use of non toxic shot so I can still shoot lead
unfortunately I have broken the top lever spring so the gun is currently retired until I can get it to someone who can make me one
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Teal anyone - 09/04/18 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: smlekid

I use it for duck hunting because in my home state Damascus twist and muzzle loading guns are exempt from the use of non toxic shot so I can still shoot lead.

What an unusually good idea. How come our politicians couldn't come up with something like it?...Geo
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Teal anyone - 09/04/18 12:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: smlekid

I use it for duck hunting because in my home state Damascus twist and muzzle loading guns are exempt from the use of non toxic shot so I can still shoot lead.

What an unusually good idea. How come our politicians couldn't come up with something like it?...Geo

To the best of my recollection for a good amount of time when no-tox first became the rule for waterfowl muzzle-loaders were exempt from the rule & lead was allowed. Even that eventually gave way to "Political Correctness".

Smle-Kid;
That top lever spring seems to be one of the weak points in Lefever design, I hear of quite a few of them breaking now, over 100 years down the road. I have been fortunate so far I guess but none of mine has ever broken. It is a simple V though & most any competent gunsmith should be able to replace it, or even make one for it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com