doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: DLA H & R Ejector Question. - 07/23/18 05:19 PM
I recently acquired a new a "Garden Gun." A single barrel .410 by Harrington and Richardson Arms Co., Worcester, Ma. It's a Bay State model which was their "economy model." Not sure why but the "economy model" has a checkered walnut butt stock and forend. As well as an ejector. The gun cleaned up very nicely for a gun made in 1940.

Now for my question. The entire ejector mechanism appears to be located in the barrel lump and I do not see anything else that interacts with that mechanism. The ejector is activated every time the gun is opened. Anyone know if this gun is functioning correctly before I start messing with the ejector mechanism?

Thanks,
Dennis
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/23/18 05:34 PM
I have an H&R/NEF in 12 gauge. The ejector kicks off every time the gun is opened on it as well. It operates independently from the trigger mechanism. Gets to be a pain when you have an unfired shell in the chamber.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/23/18 05:34 PM
That's how all the old single barrels worked. Ejection whether fired or not.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/23/18 07:23 PM
For the most part these old singles did not have any form of positive extraction. The extractor/ejector was simply pushed in on closing against a coil spring in the barrel lump. On those which did not eject the spring pushed the extractor out on opening. Those which ejected had a catch which held the ejector in until the gun was opened. The catch was then tripped & the shell ejected. If that catch is not present then it will simply act as an extractor without ejecting.
Neither had a mechanical means of starting a "Stuck" shell. but was entirely dependent on the strength of the spring. This was pretty much universal on the "Hardware" singles. High grade Single Barrel Trap guns & such were of course more refined.
Posted By: jlb Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/23/18 07:49 PM
Not all single barreled guns had ejectors which functioned every time the barrel was opened. Ithaca Knick singles only ejected spent shells.

jerry born
Posted By: 2-piper Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/23/18 10:09 PM
The Ithaca Knick was one of the "More Refined" trap guns I mentioned, not the typical hardware/farmers gun. Note that even on those I stated "For the Most Part", that did leave room for possible exceptions, though off hand I am unable to name one specifically of the guns being mentioned IE H&R or equivalent.
Posted By: DLA Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/24/18 09:14 AM
Thanks for the info. It's been about sixty years since I had a single barrel and couldn't remember how the ejector worked.

Dennis
Posted By: Kutter Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/24/18 02:04 PM
[quote=DLA].... The entire ejector mechanism appears to be located in the barrel lump and I do not see anything else that interacts with that mechanism. The ejector is activated every time the gun is opened. ...
[/quote

There is usually a sear for the mechanism to trip the ejector that has a slightly extended 'foot' out the side of the bbl lump.
Usually the left side.

That foot engages a shelf inside the frame as the bbl is opened and pulls the sear downward,,That releases the ejector itself which is under spring pressure and snaps rearward.

Closing the action/bbl pushes the ejector in and recocks it. The sear reengages it and holds it with it's own small spring giving it engagement.

Removing the bbl from the frame..forend off,,allows the bbl to slip rearward just enough for that foot to miss the frame shelf. That keeps the ejector cocked when the bbl is taken down from the gun,,or is supposed to. Some will release at the slightest mmovement when they get worn.

Also a good idea just like a SXS or other ejector breakopen to place your thumb over the ejector to dampen it when it snaps out if there's no shell in the chamber. The cross pin that limits the ejectors travel takes a lot of shock as does the spindle of the ejector blade if not done. The springs are pretty stout in them as a rule.
It's not a Parker,,but no use damaging one for no reason.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/24/18 02:23 PM
Very good explanation Kutter, much better than my feeble attempt. We are however in total agreement.
Posted By: DLA Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/25/18 10:14 AM
Thanks Kutter, great explanation. Will take a closer look when I get back home.

Dennis
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: H & R Ejector Question. - 07/25/18 10:33 AM
Indeed an excellent explanation of the mechanism, Kutter. This is the same type ejector used in my Iver Johnson Special Trap guns.

The fact that it ejects unfired shells as well as fired isn't a problem for me, as I "trap" the shell, be it empty or fired, in the palm of my hand as I open the gun. No hulls ever hit the ground.

Someday I'm gonna try to get a limit of doves with one of mine, on a late season shoot. That ought'a be fun.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com