doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/23/18 09:08 PM
Yes friends, it is yet another boot thread. I'm sorry.

A few months ago, as I was cleaning my porch, I noticed the poor condition of my hunting boots. I was fed up with wearing old combat boots, tattered-and-falling-apart-at-the-seams Merrells and Danners, and any number of other manufacturers that fall short (and apart) of my hopes and expectations - barely surviving 1-2 years of bird hunting. I'm also a bit concerned with spending $400-$500 on a pair of made to order classic US made work boots that have had mixed reviews and opinions. So...the research began. My qualifiers were "heavy duty", "thick leather", "aggressive sole" and "speed laces". Again and again my search kept pointing to vintage European made "mountaineering boots". Further research concluded with whom the internet experts felt were the best manufacturers and the quest began. Since this is an experiment at it's core, I did not want to spend too much. I also found that the highest quality was made in a time frame between the 1940's and the 1980's. Point being, this would be a quest for vintage boots with the least amount of damage and wear. So, I purchased five pairs of pre-owned vintage boots of different makes and styles for the experiment. Anyone have any experience with these boots? I imagine they'll be heavy and not exceptionally comfortable to walk in all day, but I'm sick of throwing my money away on big name manufacturers who sell China made products for which they fail to stand behind. I have two pairs of Swiss, two pairs of Italian and one pair of German-made boots in the mix. I've been reconditioning the leather on them one pair at a time, but soon it will be time to begin the experiment. Please feel free to express your thoughts and opinions on the subject...

Caleb

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/23/18 09:35 PM
They all look like good boots, but heavy, stiff and not very comfortable (or warm or waterproof). If you are sick of Chinese boots, get a pair of Kennetrek's (SP?) made in Montana.

I bought a pair of Meindl Denali's and used them on very steep ground this spring for turkeys. They are GREAT! I don't know where the were made. I think Germany.
Posted By: damascus Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/23/18 09:47 PM
Five pairs of boots? Even the wealthiest of men can only sleep in one bed at a time!!
I have always been a believer in you purchase a pair of boots from new and YOU mould them in to fit your foot shape correctly by waring them for long periods. Using a second user pair of boots is just a recipe for sore and aching feet.
Second user shoes and boots are like using a second user tooth brush. Hell NO!!!
Posted By: canvasback Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/23/18 10:10 PM
Caleb, I'm with you on this idea and I come from the footwear industry.

In the late 1970's I lived for a few years in Banff Alberta and got mildly into climbing. The go-to boot for the Swiss and Germans who lived there at the time (ski instructors during the winter, climbers in the summer) were Vasques. Made in Italy.

Good leather, steel shank, stiff sole. What we did back then was buy them new, put them on and do them up tight, then stand in a bath of warm water until the water seeps through completely. Then get out and keep them done up tight for several hours (don't do a lot of walking, you are just trying to mold them to your foot).

No reason why you shouldn't do that now to try to shape them to your own foot.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/23/18 10:11 PM
I know some have had bad experiences with Russell, but I have not.

I wear Russell’s everyday (Art Carter) and either unlined in dry weather or gortex lined in wet and love them.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/23/18 11:01 PM
Look at Limmer Boots.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/23/18 11:05 PM
Heavy and stiff. Steel shanks warp on hard ground, end up looking like elf shoes, all cambered up. Not waterproof. Rip your hip flexor's off. Exacerbate shin splints.
Not much use for boots like that in my life.
Technology moved waaaay ahead.

And my go-to work boot has become the Doc Marten Condor.
If I'm on the prairie I wear Cabela's ultralight Full Draw, uninsulated. Like hunting in a stiff tennis shoe. Cushony and Wonderful.

I wear leather lined Hunter Balmoral Sovereign's most of the time in the woods. They work, but are actually a waterproof meh.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/23/18 11:38 PM
For me for everyday wear as well as working, climbing, hunting, etc. the LL Bean Cresta Hiker fills the bill. I'm just starting my third pair in twelve years so I know they're rugged enough. And at about $265 they won't break the bank. Click on below.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/14774?page=mens-gore-tex-cresta-hikers-leather
Posted By: Replacement Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 12:38 AM
Last year I got some Danner Pronghorns that fit so well, I got five pair, 6" and 10", mostly at closeout prices.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Last year I got some Danner Pronghorns that fit so well, I got five pair, 6" and 10", mostly at closeout prices.

I've heard good things about the Danner Pronghorns, however Danner customer service has failed me drastically in the past.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 12:53 AM
Originally Posted By: BrentD
They all look like good boots, but heavy, stiff and not very comfortable (or warm or waterproof). If you are sick of Chinese boots, get a pair of Kennetrek's (SP?) made in Montana.

I bought a pair of Meindl Denali's and used them on very steep ground this spring for turkeys. They are GREAT! I don't know where the were made. I think Germany.

I would assume Meindl boots are still made in Germany and should be in the mountaineering style?
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 12:56 AM
I've many more pairs of "waterproof boots" fail on me than I can count. In this experiment I'll be trying greased leather for my waterproof protection. I'll let you know how it goes...
Posted By: Tom C Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 12:58 AM
I should have a new pair of Ariat hunting boots tomorrow. I was looking for a round toe, a wide toe box and a sole with traction and these were the only ones that fit the bill at a reasonable price. This company is know for cowboy boots and the first time I have tried them. P

I have had Danner, LLBean, Irish Setter and Russell. I would say the Danner and Irish Setter have been the best so far although I am not crazy about the newer Danners and the Irish Setters were heavy. That's my reason for giving Ariat a try. I will let you know how they look and feel.
Posted By: Brian Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 02:40 AM
HanWag , made in Germany
https://www.hanwag.com/

I bought a pair of Goretex hikers in the German PX at Kunduz back in 2012. still going strong. All of the German Fallschirmjagers were using them, not as flexible as some of the lightweight boots I have used but these have trekked the Swiss Alps, the Adirondacks, Catskills. My feet have remained dry and comfortable. not too heavy.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 04:32 AM
I love my new redwing/ Irish setters
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 08:18 AM
After years of trying differnet brands of boots I settled on Kenetrex for the hunting I do in Arizona. The biggest mistake I have made in a long time was deciding that I needed a pair of Russells. Ordered a pair of their sheep hunting boots.
Despite sending them all of the measurements for my feet twice, when I got the boots they fit poorly. Workmanship as far as stiching and poorly glued on toe caps was pitiful. I could barely get my feet in the boot due to the neck of the boot being so narrow.
Once boots were on one boot fit close, the other had to be a full size off. Tried to wear them by walking about a 1/2 mile around he neighborhood thinking maybe that I was being to critical.
Ended up with blisters on both top and bottom of my feet. Sent them back and a week or two later got them back.
They fit a slight bit better, but still the worse fitting and most uncomfortable boots I have ever worn.
The fix for the narrow neck was to slit down the sides of the tongue. Very poorly done. Glued the toe caps where they were lifting and looks like an amateur did it. Twice the price of Kenetrex and a quarter of the quality. I was so disapointed I put them in the closet and have not looked at them for 6 months since I got them back.
Maybe my experience would have been much different if I had ordered a lighter bird shooting boot. I know many swear by these boots, I swear at them.
In all fairness I have been so upset I never bothered to send them back again.
Posted By: Phunter Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 12:17 PM
My favorite is still USA made Danners. They have multiple "last" styles for varied fits. Find the one you like for the situation you are using them and you're golden. Stitch down construction, rebuildable, and, unlike fellow above, I have had top notch customer service. Gotta' watch it though, because they've slowly transitioned to overseas production for some models.

Just bought a pair of $100 Nikes made in a third world country w/the sole glued on crooked. They wanted me to pay to ship them back..lol.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 02:50 PM
Peter Limmer and Sons of Intervale, New Hampshire offer both stock and custom made hiking boots. Their custom boots are made to measure in the shop in New Hampshire and their stock boots are made in Bavaria (by Meindl, I have heard).

I have a pair of Limmer Lightweight hiking boots that are about 10 years old and very high quality.

Limmer website: http://www.limmercustomboot.com/cgi-bin/CustomBoot/index.pl
Posted By: gjw Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 02:56 PM
What the heck, my 2c worth. I used to be a big fan of Danner Grouse boots (the USA made ones, not the Chinese cheapo's) but I didn't get a lot of ankle support. Last year I pulled the pin on a pair of Meindl Denali's from Cabela's

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-DENALI-WITH-FIT-IQ/2286555.uts?slotId=0

Best boot I've ever owned. Great support, comfortable (no break in period at all), waterproof (so far!) and a quality made boot. They are a bit on the heavy side, but the pros outweigh the cons. Mine are German made.

For winter hunting I have an older pair of Irish Setter insulated boots, another great boot, still waterproof, warm in sub zero weather. I've had these boots for close to 8 years now, still going strong.

While we're at it. If any of you have a Danner boot and they need to be "refreshed" don't send them to Danner to have this done. By the time your done, for a few bucks more you can buy a new pair. I know, I did it.

Anyway, my 2c worth as I said.

Best,

Greg
Posted By: Replacement Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 04:01 PM
At the same time I was buying my bunch of Danners last year, I also ordered a pair of Meindels from Cabela's and a pair of Lowas from REI, both about 10". There is nothing to complain about on the Meindels, but the Pronghorns are just as comfortable. My favorite is the Lowa, but they were over $400, vs $190 for the Meindels on sale and $54 for the 6" Pronghorns on closeout. So I think I'm set for a while.
Posted By: Bruce Bernacki Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 04:47 PM
I second the choice of Lowas. However, as was pointed out above, your comfort depends on your foot shape, whether you pronate or supinate and the last used in the production of the boot. Finding the best boot for yourself unfortunately follows the same arc as finding the perfect shotgun. For example, I really like the features of Asolo boots, but even in wide, they are just too narrow for me. For those with bunions, Hanwag (also mentioned above) sells a bunion boot with a bit more room in that area. But you will have to buy them sight-unseen as hardly anyone carries them in the U.S.

Also, these boards are populated by people from all over the U.S. and in some cases, the world. All with different requirements, so opinions are all over the place. For me, I don't understand why anyone gravitates towards the so-called "upland boot" styles with moccasin toes, but regionally, they might be the right choice for benign conditions for some folks.

Bruce
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 04:59 PM
Boots are like shotguns especially in the sense that people like what they like.

When I guided people, if they wore heavy hikers, they wanted to stay in the truck by about 3. It's just too heavy of a boot for most peoples hip muscles. Pack style boots by noon. Moc Toe = wet feet. Truck by 10am. Light breathable hikers, 4:30.

But, people like what they like. And if you don't wear them they last a long time. So, people show up in 20 year old boots for their 2 days hunting per year.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 05:29 PM
Quote:
I really like the features of Asolo boots, but even in wide, they are just too narrow for me.

I wore out three pair of Asolos before I decided they just didn't fit me. Great boots, but very narrow. Danners also seem to run narrow, so my first pair from 20 years ago sits in the closet, while the new ones are fine because I learned the hard way.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 05:31 PM
Could a boot stretch not remedy these problems? Or are these boots not leather?
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 05:53 PM
Well fwiw I spent ten days hunting with Ghost Rider in the Arizona mountains ,bought a pair of Meindl denali from Cabelas ,two days the sides fell out ...we returned them to the Phoenix Cabelas during a break and they graciously swapped them out ...those didn't last the rest of the trip ,got back home to Newfoundland and returned them once again and upgraded to the western hunters and damn near crippled myself with those , lost both small toenails on my second Arizona trip ,when they grew back I lost them both again on a 12km hike with my daughter ...the boots did fit when I was standing around doing nothing but try actually using them ? ...they went in the garbage .
Under Phil's advice I'm now wearing Kenetrek mountain extreme and I will never look back... I do walk in these boots, Newfoundland is wet -period ,and rough on boots I average 25 -35 km a day when I get out ,in Arizona the walking was easier( except for the heat on this Newfoundlander ) but the side hilling and sharp rocks was wrecking the boots .

I've also worn Irish Setters ( which I was fairly pleased with ) ,and Beans ...the Kenetrek boots win hands down for me
Posted By: Replacement Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/24/18 11:54 PM
Quote:
Could a boot stretch not remedy these problems? Or are these boots not leather?

Would probably work on the old Danners, all leather. New Danners (the ones that fit well) are leather and cordura, as were the Asolos.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 09:38 AM
A few years ago I saw a pair of Danner "hunting" boots made from 1000 denier Cordura fabric. At the time, I was a big fan of the high denier Cordura fabrics and thought that they were the closest thing to lightweight armor I could find. Well after a month and a half of thorny brush hunting, the Cordura was completely shredded and gone from the entire toe, exposing the composite/rubber layer underneath. Additionally, the some of the lace eyelets had pulled out of the shoe and the shoe laces were basically just tying through gradually enlarging holes in the shoe. I called Danner about these issues and I was told that I should look for a local shoe repair person and see if they could fix them as they were not interested in repairing them. I was kind of shocked because I had always heard of the Danner name in relation to quality.

That kind of equipment failure and failure to provide adequate customer service leaves a sour taste in my mouth. This is why I want to try these mountaineering boots. They are definitely a quality product that I do not see failing on me, but will they be comfortable to walk in all day? Probably not...but I won't know for sure unless I try. I'm not eliminating all of my lightweight hikers and hunting boots, but I'm seeking some longer lasting options for those days when I want a rugged heavy duty boot that can take a beating in the brush and keep on ticking. Great responses from everyone - I think we all like to hear what works and doesnt work for other people out there.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 10:42 AM
Not surprising Danner probably doesn't own a Chinese shoe shop...

I always liked the Kiterlift soles on Danners....I bet I spelled that wrong.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: old colonel

I wear Russell’s everyday (Art Carter) and either unlined in dry weather or gortex lined in wet and love them.

I've got 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 pair of Russell Moccasins shoes and boots...never knew them to offer Gore Tex guess that's just for Old Colonels. Never had any Art Carters but I did know him. cool

Russell Signature South Forty....best walking boot I ever put on my feet (and I walked on rough terrain for a living).

Most people that don't like Russell boots are the ones that measure or have some bOzo selling Russel boots measure their feet.

Stick with the Vibran soles and don't get fooled by any of the other offerings

All the ones I have I just ordered in my standard size 11D...if it's insulated and I plan on wearing a heavier sock I order a 1/2 size bigger.

Russell Moccasin...best customer service in the USA. (Unless you are a moron)
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 11:11 AM
Reading these boot threads over the last year it has made me count my blessings. I can do quite well hunting with three sets of inexpensive footwear. Granted, I don't hunt the tough desert stuff for quail often, or rocky slopes for chukar, but I do quite well with a pair of L L Bean 10" original boots (with an added footbed insert), a pair of LaCrosse Grange rubbers, and my Herter's or Redhead chest waders. I throw on a pair of Dan's snake proof chaps for thorny or snaky stuff, and I'm done. If I ever make a big change it will be a new pair of LeChameau boots.

When I get tired out from walking it ain't usually because of the kind of boots I've got on. I wear Skechers chukka style boots for everyday wear on the farm. They last me about a year, then I toss 'em. But, they're the lightest weight boots I've ever seen. For doves or quail in dry conditions even they do nicely.

I feel sorry for you guys that have gone through thousands of dollars worth of boots and still can't find what you want. Kinda makes you sit back and wonder what our fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers did before they had all this high-tech, ergonomic, waterproof, "indestructible" bells and whistles footwear that cost as much as they paid for a truck. They must've really been handicapped............eh?

SRH
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 12:10 PM
Stan- Most people are sedentary.
They don't wear work boots every day.
Those of us that do, and who chase birds wherever and whenever, get a pretty unique panoply of experience.

My "had-to-have" Kangaroo skinned boots lasted 4 days in Nebraska. Grass ate through the toes. Their loyal following is comical to me. I call them "range boots".

The modern carbon fibre shanked composite toe work boots with a dual durometer sole are an absolute Godsend when you walk 10+ miles a day on concrete.

My wife struggles to get 6500 steps a day. I get 10,000 by noon. And it shows in her foot, ankle, knee, leg, and hip health.

I think that's pretty much the same reality for everyone.
Posted By: Demonwolf444 Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 02:16 PM
For waterproofing leather really really well use 1 part beeswax to 4 parts paraffin wax

The link shows my old boots after this treatment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeU-r9HLNZ/?hl=en&taken-by=woodworking_gunsmith

The same boots before treatment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeU-ZEH5RU/?hl=en&taken-by=woodworking_gunsmith
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 04:06 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

I've got 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 pair of Russell Moccasins shoes and boots...never knew them to offer Gore Tex guess that's just for Old Colonels. Never had any Art Carters but I did know him. cool

Russell Signature South Forty....best walking boot I ever put on my feet (and I walked on rough terrain for a living).

Most people that don't like Russell boots are the ones that measure or have some bOzo selling Russel boots measure their feet.

All the ones I have I just ordered in my standard size 11D...if it's insulated and I plan on wearing a heavier sock I order a 1/2 size bigger.

I waited for The Vintagers at Sandanona one year to get measured by Ralph Fabricius, the president of Russell.

My boots arrived a couple months later and my experience was the exact same as Ghostriders, the necks were so tight it took 5 minutes of struggling to get them on and then one boot length was good the other was short.The interior had bumps of leather and stitching that caused blisters.

I sent them back a couple times but in the end they sent me back my money.

Disclaimer, I've been a size 10D all my life and stock shoes fit me just fine.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 04:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Demonwolf444
For waterproofing leather really really well use 1 part beeswax to 4 parts paraffin wax

The link shows my old boots after this treatment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeU-r9HLNZ/?hl=en&taken-by=woodworking_gunsmith

The same boots before treatment

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaeU-ZEH5RU/?hl=en&taken-by=woodworking_gunsmith

DW,

Very nice! Your recipe is nearly the same as what I use on my canvas apparel. I typically use Snoseal on my boots (may be the same thing actually), but I will give your recipe a try. Thanks!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 06:02 PM
Throw in equal shots of mineral spirits and linseed oil and you can treat your cedar deck and fence with the stuff. smile

Everyone has a favorite for boots and most of them are different. I'm glad I finally found mine. It amazes me how different peoples' views are on this topic. You would think we were discussing cartridges or something smile
Posted By: jmc Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/25/18 10:00 PM
I will second or third the choice of the Meindl boots sold by cabelas. I had Danner Pronghorns (originals that just wore out - no complaints and, Irish Setter ‘Russel look-alikes) that we’re not supportive enough for my pronation. I’ve hunted long, hard, wet days in the Meindl’s and never felt foot fatigue. I also have the Le Chameau Chasseur’s and have found limited use for them in terms of hunting. They are great to stand around in wet grass and light walk-up shooting but for any serious terrain or simply putting a lot of walking in,, they just haven’t been as comfortable or supportive enough to choose over my other hunting boots. This could be more about my build - skinny ankles and calves which leaves a lot of room for the uppers to move around (and I’m not that skinny!).. They do however feel great but alas, have been in the closet unworn for several seasons.. jmc
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/26/18 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob

I waited for The Vintagers at Sandanona one year to get measured by Ralph Fabricius, the president of Russell.

My boots arrived a couple months later and my experience was the exact same as Ghostriders, the necks were so tight it took 5 minutes of struggling to get them on and then one boot length was good the other was short.The interior had bumps of leather and stitching that caused blisters.

I sent them back a couple times but in the end they sent me back my money.

Disclaimer, I've been a size 10D all my life and stock shoes fit me just fine.

My point proven this custom foot measure is hOrse hockey.

Case closed....
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/26/18 12:52 PM
It's too bad we don't hunt like the English staying in one spot while the peasants (affectionately known as beaters) drive the game toward us to shoot. If this was the case we could all wear them $400 leather-lined galoshes with French name.
Posted By: Thruxton Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/26/18 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
It's too bad we don't hunt like the English staying in one spot while the peasants (affectionately known as beaters) drive the game toward us to shoot. If this was the case we could all wear them $400 leather-lined galoshes with French name.

My experience of 40 years English shooting it at variance to this scenario,,,could you give dates and locations where you last saw it happen ? Our peasants are an endangered species these days and we keep just a few in zoos to show to the children as an example of what happens if you don't eat your greens.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/26/18 05:00 PM

You maybe correct what I thought was gortex is actually Thinsulate Insulation
Posted By: keith Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/26/18 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

Guys like Jagermeister who don't own any double shotguns, and who feel compelled to pretend they own one after several years of admitting they don't, aren't going to spend $400.00 on French galoshes.

Guys like Jagermeister, who rent cheap Chinese .22 bolt action rifles and who can't complete the sale of relatively cheap guns they put on Layaway aren't going to be participating in any driven game shoots either.

But you don't have to worry about wearing out hunting boots when all you do is live a fantasy life on the internet.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/27/18 01:30 AM
I wish I could afford $400 French galoshes...
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/27/18 02:21 AM
I discovered Russels about 5 years ago and have been very pleased with the sheep hunter model hunting rough mountainous terrain. My feet are 2 different sizes and so the custom sizing is excellent for me. Some threads here caused me to question what else is out there and so I recently purchased a pair of Jaghund Potschund mountain hunters. One boundary hike later and so far I am pleased. I will report more once the season begins.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/28/18 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger

They're closer to $500 and worth every penny.
Posted By: keith Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/28/18 09:38 AM

So does Jagermeister.
Posted By: rtw Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/28/18 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Chukarman
Peter Limmer and Sons of Intervale, New Hampshire offer both stock and custom made hiking boots. Their custom boots are made to measure in the shop in New Hampshire and their stock boots are made in Bavaria (by Meindl, I have heard).

I have a pair of Limmer Lightweight hiking boots that are about 10 years old and very high quality.

Limmer website: http://www.limmercustomboot.com/cgi-bin/CustomBoot/index.pl

+1 for LImmer Boots. I also have their lightweight boots. The stock boots are made by Meindl.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/28/18 06:49 PM
I know every one favors the Chasseur by Le Chameau, but does anyone have any experience with the "lower grade" versions made by them? For example the Vierzon or Country?
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/31/18 10:36 AM
I'll start a new thread with this question...
Posted By: canvasback Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/31/18 11:39 AM

I was in Covey & Nye in Manchester last August and stupidly passed on a pair of Le Chameau that were my size and being cleared out for $325. I had made a quick stop to check out their gun assortment, found they had little in stock because they had just moved and was thinking about that when I saw the boots on their sidewalk sale.

I'm still kicking myself.
Posted By: redoak Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/31/18 02:16 PM
I do most of my grouse & woodcock hunting in N. Michigan in tennis/running shoes with WalkFit arch supports, at least until snowfall, then I switch to my lightest weight uninsulated Muck boots.

And I shot a moose on a British Columbia mountain side last October wearing tennis shoes, but he was not up high enough to be in the shale/rock.

I get a kick out of the guys wearing high tech mountaineering boots hunting the gentle, rolling hills in here in Michigan.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Not Another Boot Thread! - 05/31/18 02:24 PM
Yeah, me too.

People pack like they are on some kind of expedition. Yet they are never more than 20 minutes from the car in any direction.

Because Sept is usually hot, I follow water sources. So, the Sovereign's prevent soakers, and the Vibram sole provides grip on the inclines/declines. As often as not, I wear the Full Draw's, because by 10 AM the dew is gone anyway.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com